The "Ton" or Coniston class of minesweepers were constructed as minesweepers for the R.N and other navies between 1951 and 1959 making them one of the most numerous class of ships to serve in the R.N.
All were constructed with timber hulls and were powered by 2 Mirrles Blackstone diesels of 2500 hp or later ships were constructed with 2 Deltic diesels of 3500 hp. on two shafts giving 15 knots Max speed. Weapons fit varied but was normally 1 x 40mm and 2 x 20mm. Mine hunters normally carried 1 x 40mm.
The Bronington (ex Green Beetle ) was constructed by Cook Welton & Gemmel at Hull and Beverly. She was laid down in 1951 and launched in 1954.
She was renamed H.M.S. Humber and was stationed with the 10th M.S.S. R.N.R In 1958 she was commissioned as Bronington and sent to the 100th M.S.S.
In 1965 he was converted to a mine hunter at Rosyth (as she is modeled by us) and stationed with the 1st M.C.M.S. In 1974 she was refitted at Gibraltar and then stationed at Rosyth with the 1st M.C.M.S. The Lt the Prince of Wales was in command from 9/2/76 until she was visited by H.M. the Queen and Prince Philip whilst at the Tower Pier in London.
Between 1980 and 1984 she was serving with the 2nd M.C.M.S and with STANAVFORCHAN.
Details of the kit
Scale 1/96 Length 465mm Beam 86mm Sailing weight 736g
glass fibre detailed hull laser cut s/str and decks. full set of fittings props and shafts, full size plan.