Author Topic: advice please  (Read 7350 times)

HANDFIR

advice please
« on: 03 December 2008, 18:41:41 »
I have just bought a Deans HMS Amaethyst. This is my first attempt to build this type of model.

Having opened the box and looked at the hull, the base is not ‘flat’ but has a 3mm convex indentation.

Since this is on the bottom of the hull and will not be visible on the finished model, does one accept this as a feature of GFRP model hulls, or should an effort be made to fill this ‘hollow’ with a resin, and if so can one be recommended?

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
Re: advice please
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2008, 07:27:08 »
What do you exactly mean?  Can you post a picture?

Do you mean that the base of the hull isn't flat?  Or do you mean something else?
If the base isn't flat, this can be solved with first sanding the hull and then adding filler (and afterwards sanding the base again to obtain a flat base.)

Sorry for the questions but I'm not a native English speaker.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2008, 11:05:20 »
if it is proven that the hull has a fault

instead of posting your Problem here, it might be better to Email the Workshops directly

HANDFIR

« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2008, 12:39:09 »
Thanks. I tried down loading a photo, but at age 60 it seems I must wait for my son to come home! The English phrase to sum my IT skills is Luddite.

However telephoned the factory and they have given me the advice I need - should have done that in the first place.

As for the quality of English on his site - it is a great deal better than my German/ Flemish/French.

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2008, 19:31:45 »
It's always better to inform at the shop... :)

But I asked the questions because I didn't complete understood what the problem was. I can imagine but iI'm not sure....

agentfunky

« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2008, 21:48:19 »
Hi,

I'm in the same "boat" if you'll scuse the pun ;D

Just started building the a Deans Kit myself.....Deffinitely ring the workshop.....they are extremely helpful and they seem to have customer satisfaction as a major priority.

I've phoned them for advice on many occasions already and they have always been more than happy to help.

Cheers