Author Topic: HMS Suffolk  (Read 139310 times)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
Re: HMS Suffolk
« Reply #135 on: 04 October 2014, 17:07:50 »
She looks beautiful James, the way she pushes through the water is fantastic.  I like the cam paint work, although I am not a lover of that colour scheme.  Well done James a very nice and clean build.  Paul ^^^

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #136 on: 04 October 2014, 21:59:44 »
Awesome!!!

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #137 on: 05 October 2014, 17:33:43 »
jup, must agree with the rest of the gang... superb  ^^^

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #138 on: 06 October 2014, 12:36:17 »
Thanks for the kind comments everyone,

Took her out on 'first patrol' on Sunday with the Wicksteed Park Model Boat Club - very calm day so ideal testing conditions. Seems to be very stable despite the high freeboard, though there is still some top weight to go on - cranes, ships boats and smaller details.

Steamed for 1 hr 30 mins, with no sign of Bismarck as yet...

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #139 on: 22 November 2014, 12:29:09 »
Just finished building the aircraft handling cranes... these are laser cut parts, drawn on CAD and sent to Deans Marine. Extra detail added from scrap plastic/spare photo etch.

Next jobs... ship's boats, remaining deck fittings, ladders, rigging... end in sight??

Hopefully see some of you at the Dean's Christmas shop opening,

James

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #140 on: 22 November 2014, 17:43:01 »
Beautiful job James, that's going to look great on Suffolk.  ^^^ :)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #141 on: 22 November 2014, 23:38:31 »
Hi James,

I have CAD drawing of the Aerials and cranes for Lusty, what do you mean by the parts being Laser cut? In what materials?

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #142 on: 23 November 2014, 13:46:04 »
Hi Paul, I think they are in nickel silver, I sent the drawings to Deans who arranged for them to be laser cut. I think they already have the cranes for Illustrious as laser cut parts?

Started work on scratch building some ships boats - Some more info has become available since I did the previous set. As far as I can see Suffolk carried in 1941 - 2x 32ft Cutters, one 36ft pulling boat, two 35 ft launches*, one 35ft fast motor boat*, one 16ft speed boat (* starred ones - I'm not certain, as the photos aren't very clear).

This is the 36ft pulling boat - making a plug for vacforming. I photocopied drawings (AOTS Warspite/ Maritime museum website), stuck onto plasticard to make a skeleton. Then fill in the gaps in the skeleton with pattern making foam. Then sand back the foam until you get to the ribs. I need to skim the surface with body filler to get a smooth surface.

James

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #143 on: 25 November 2014, 05:59:29 »
James...
a plug for Vac forming... !!  ::DD  why not go that little bit further and do one for Resin...  8)   :o

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #144 on: 30 November 2014, 08:50:20 »
Don't tempt me Colin... I think the vac-forming might be the basis for a resin one in the future. The one on Suffolk has a canvas cover too so you won't be ale to see the inside!

James 

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #145 on: 24 January 2015, 11:09:54 »
A bit more work on the ship's boats patterns - first time I've done this process so hopefully description might be of help...

Foam shapes skimmed with car body filler, sanded smooth. The coated with primer - filled any defects -sand smooth again, re-coat with primer. - Repeat process until good finish achieved!!

James

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #146 on: 24 January 2015, 16:27:45 »
 ^^^ Nice work James. That is now your template to make a mould to re-produce more.  Saves all that hard work.  Still I bet they are very light. I can just see what work I will have with my hull.

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #147 on: 24 May 2015, 21:54:17 »
Not had much time for Suffolk over the past few months but now a rush of activity before the Mayhem at Wicksteed Show -

I've done a second round of painting, to add the cranes, carley floats and some smaller deck fittings - mushroom vents, cable reels and hatches. I've also added on the anchors & chains.

Another great event at Wicksteed this year - good to catch up with some Deans Marine regulars! Several 1/96 ships from the 1930's/40's were in attendance- final photo with HMS Belfast and HMS Medway (Submarine depot ship, in peacetime colours).

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #148 on: 20 February 2016, 15:25:09 »
A small amount of progress after a busy winter in the hospital!

Ship's boats: 16 ft motor boat - resin from Dean's, 32ft cutter & 35ft motor boat - John Haynes.

35ft launches & 36 foot launch are the vac-formings from the patterns above, plasticard & milliput for details and canvas covering.

Painting done as per the descriptions on the HMS Hood association website - as Suffolk was in the Home Fleet at the same time. I've done the launches in Humbrol Oxford Blue as these were 'at the captain's discretion' :)

Hope to commission Suffolk this summer for the 75th Anniversary of the sinking of HMS Hood. 

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #149 on: 20 February 2016, 16:55:14 »
Superb!