Author Topic: The Model Of H.M.S. Zulu  (Read 8517 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
The Model Of H.M.S. Zulu
« on: 07 March 2008, 16:58:51 »
some more nice Photo's of a Dean Marine Kit, built by Peter Revill

This is a brief synopsis of the building of the Deans Marine kit of HMS Zulu. However before starting on the model a brief overview of the actual ship herself.
She was a Royal Navy frigate of the Tribal Class and was laid down on the 13th December 1960 at Alex Stephens and Son’s yard at Govan on the Clyde. She was launched on 3rd July 1962 and was first commissioned into service on the 17th April 1964.
Her length is 360 ft with a beam of 42.3 ft and draught of 17.5 ft giving a standard displacement of 2,300 tons and a full load displacement of 2,700 tons. Her propulsion configuration  was COSAG (COmbined Steam And Gas Turbine) using a 12000 SHP steam turbine giving a speed of 20 knots which was boosted to 28 knots by the use of a 7,500 SHP G-6 gas turbine.
Anti Aircraft/Surface armament consisted of two 4.5 inch Mk 5 single mountings – one forward and one aft - and two Seacat quadruple mountings – one port and one starboard. Anti submarine armament consisted of the AS Mk 10 Mortar (Limbo) fitted just forward of the flight deck and this was backed up by the Anti Submarine Wasp helicopter. There were two 20 mm Oerlikon mountings carried just forward of the bridge – one port and one starboard – which were used for anti piracy and anti gun running work.
Following the 1981 defence review the ship was listed for disposal but was reactivated at Chatham on the 9th August 1982 after being refitted and commissioned in just 50 days !!! to replace ships lost or damaged in the Falklands conflict. She remained in continuous service until March 31st 1984 after which she was sold to the Indonesian Navy and recommissioned as the Martha Kristina Tiyahahu on 2nd May 1985. I have no information on what happened to her after that.

The Model
The hull is of fibre glass with the decks being made of plywood (for strength) covered with plasticard. The superstructure is entirely of plasticard  with the exception of the mainmast and the radar aerial which is of etched brass. The fittings are a mixture of cast white metal and cast resin. All the plasticard parts were supplied on computer printed sheets which I found to be pretty accurate.
I encountered few problems in the making of this model. There was the inevitable one or two small fittings which seemed to be lost but a quick call to Ron Dean ensured they were in the next post. One thing I did not like was that the guardrails around the upper structure were of the white metal stanchion/brass wire type whereas those around the main deck were of etched brass and I did not think that it would look right with a mixture. However this problem was quickly resolved by Ron Dean who offered to exchange the brass ones for enough white metal stanchions to complete the task.. I think the drawings/building instructions could have been much better but in fairness to Deans this was one of their earlier kits which was badly in need of updating.
The model is powered by a Deans Kestrel motor using Fleet Control Systems radio and speed controller. An Action destroyer siren working through an Action Switch Unit is also fitted. It goes and looks well on the water and despite its narrow beam handles well in choppy conditions.

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
Re: The Model Of H.M.S. Zulu
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2009, 00:27:53 »
Hi,

This is another one of those models that I'm considering.  This lovely is one of the more beamier ones from Dean's.  I wonder between HMS Zulu and HMS Kelly which is a more difficult build.

I'm only going to get one -- I only have time to build one!

Thanks for sharing.  This is nice model!

Oliver

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2009, 13:20:52 »
Hi Colin,
Peter Revill is a friend of mine being a fellow member of the Brentwood Model Yacht and Power Boat Club. Peter is a also stalwart of the MPBA (Treasurer and Membership Sec). His Zulu is a very nice model and sails well. Peter modelled it in particular as he served on the frigate in his youth!
Hi Oliver,
Zulu has only a single screw so slightly less complex but apart from that I expect they are about the same in degree of difficulty. IMHO there is no comparisom between HMS Zulu frigate and HMS Kelly - HMS Kelly is a classic with a WWII history whereas HMS Zulu (not the 1930s Tribal class destroyer) has a much less interesting past. Depends if you are into WWII history or not.
Robin

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2009, 19:29:54 »
Hi Robin
i just entered it into the forum as this information was sent in through Email to the workshops and then forwarded onto me, i found it an interesting contribution so thats how it came to be in here.

its just a pity i don't see any of the English Modelbuilders on the international competition scene!

like the scale world championships, i have complained to the MPBA about this.

me a Brit, living in Germany being the German Team captain at the last World champs!!