Author Topic: Hello everyone from a beginner  (Read 2318 times)

Offline simon-m

• Able Seaman
Hello everyone from a beginner
« on: 24 April 2022, 11:37:22 »
Hello everyone,

I've been browsing the forum & looking at a lot of the builds currently going on & i must say i am very impressed with some of the kits being built. There are some exceptionally good modellers on the forum & i am looking to join in.

I posted way back in 2013 as a guest asking for a good starter kit to get me going. For many years i have been building model railways in both 4 & 7mm scales. My background has been etched brass loco kits of which for some years i did as a professional modelmaker taking commissions.
To say it is nearly ten years since i posted on this forum is crazy, it feels like a couple of years & i have been wanting to make a boat ever since. The only model railways i do now is 16mm live steam in the garden so my workshop is clear & ready for a new challenge.

I've been looking at the deans marine range & i think i have narrowed it down to a few from the range. I would like to ask for advice on the following models to see what might suit me best.

My first thought would be to try the Dante kit from the compact range, its cheap enough to have a go with but would the fact it is compact cause issue when fitting all the rc & making it work?
The more expensive kits i have looked at are the Fairwind, Timrix & rix harrier but i am nervous about buying a more expensive kit & messing it up.

Any advice would be greatly received

Look forward to joining in,

Simon

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Hello everyone from a beginner
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2022, 12:19:00 »
Hey Simon, you are probably correct with your assumptions, the compact range are small and handy to handle, most are a reasonable easy build..
But as you say, the standard size radio gear or servos are probably to big to be installed..
I have built one of the Dante version of kits (mastif).. also the HMS Toutou/Mimi
Sitting on my work bench is the "made of crete" and Houtepen..
If the choice was Dante or Crete  then I would go for the Crete.. as the cabin area lifts off to give you a lot of room for the radio installation..

I guess it's a case of what takes your fancy.. your obviously thinking along the lines of merchant ship, and not military..
In the fast Launches section.. there are a few good beginner kits..  for example "snow goose"

From the kits you have mentioned..  I would probably go for the timrix..

Hope this has helped...  if not feel free to ask more questions..

Offline simon-m

• Able Seaman
Re: Hello everyone from a beginner
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2022, 16:08:16 »
Hi Colin,

Thank you for the reply. Merchant shipping is certainly what i lean towards, battleships & naval vessels look a step too far at the moment as they are very highly detailed. I think before i attempt something like that i want something with simple lines hence the Dante. The Timrix is something i will have a go at in the future, a small inexpensive kit will suit me to start with as money is tight at the minute.

I will look at the others though & see.

Cheers

Simon
« Last Edit: 25 April 2022, 16:24:42 by simon-m »