Author Topic: HMS Bramble build  (Read 157031 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Bramble build
« Reply #30 on: 26 March 2013, 21:08:40 »
Thought it was about time I made the cradle, so I made my usual tray type, it's handy for carrying launch slings etc. under the boat.
I drilled out the portholes and hand reamed them with a countersink bit to simulate a rim, I'll fill these with clear epoxy after the hull is painted. She who must be obeyed is buying me the running gear as a birthday present a few weeks time (Result) but says I can't have it till then, actually I don't mind this it makes me take my time and plan what I'm doing, things like the RC switch which I will endever to make accessable some where on superstructure disguised as a vent, so I don't have to keep opening the boat to turn on or off, and I plan to do the same mod on solebay.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: 26 March 2013, 21:37:10 »
I been experimenting with simulating decking planks by scribing on a piece of plasticard the only trouble is when scribing so many lines you release the surface tension and the card bends, obviously this would happen to the deck and hatches, the deck would probably be ok when glued down and maybe I could fit some stiffeners under the hatches, still playing around with the colour, have not decided weather do this or not yet.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: 27 March 2013, 07:02:36 »
hand reamed them with a countersink bit to simulate a rim
i like that idea, i will save that one in the box of tricks  ^^^

i always hide my on/off switch and charging socket, i`ll have to get some more photo`s done of my hidden electrics...

for example on the Furie every thing is under the front skylight, the Lis Terkol under one of the hollowed out Resin boxes is the charging socket and in an other hollowed out box i have installed 2mm gold contacts that plug into 2 holes in the Deck...

about the Decking.... i did something similar on the Furie, the difference being, it is a double thick Deck 2 x 1mm i scored the top 1mm Deck first, remolded (bent it flatt again) then glued it to the bottom part of the deck, you might be able to see this in my Furie Build thread

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: 27 March 2013, 08:35:25 »
Sound advise as always Colin, A hollowed out ammo box over a switch sounds a great idea I'll see what I can do on solebays mod she has two switches for the two esc's I think I'll rewire them into one switch and hide it somewhere on the deck. Hey that would be a good quiz on the members models ( spot the switch) LOL.

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: 27 March 2013, 08:54:13 »
I been experimenting with simulating decking planks by scribing on a piece of plasticard the only trouble is when scribing so many lines you release

Have a look at the laser etched deck panels, looks incredible but not cheap and need carefull fittings and cutting
 Regards
 Deans Marine
« Last Edit: 27 March 2013, 09:06:45 by colin »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: 27 March 2013, 09:41:46 »
Hi Ron I had considered fitting the laser cut wood planks and have done on a larger scale boat, but at 1:96 scale I don't feel my skill level is quite up to committing to a fairly expensive project.

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #36 on: 27 March 2013, 17:13:08 »
Hi Joe

Looking excellent so far!

Another possibility for the deck... you can get pre- grooved styrene sheets, used by railway modelers, which might solve the bending problem?

There are also some good articles online about painting scribed styrene to look like wood planking (again outside the boating literature!)

Hope this helps,

James

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: 27 March 2013, 18:01:33 »
For my thoughts on the subject of blanked floors is:- 1. really good on old sailing ships.   2 Liners and such like.   3.  for RN ships the scale really should be 1/72 or larger to show off the workmanship and bring the ship to life.   I think 1/96 is pushing the boat out and would really need a lot of deck for it to be appreciated.   Just my wee 2 pence Worth.

As for the build I like it very much but I still wish you would cut a few port holes (what more !)  Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: 29 March 2013, 14:35:52 »
I decided to scribe the decks to simulate planking, I thought if I mess it up it would only mean getting a couple of plasicard sheets and redo the decks, well I'm fairly happy with the results so far, what I'm looking for is a slightly understated wooden deck once painted, rather than one found on a showcase model, so we will see what they look like after painting.
yes Paul rather less portholes than Solebay and just the ones on the superstructure to do now.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: 30 March 2013, 13:25:23 »
Looks Good to me Joe....  ^^^

about the painting, probably a lighter brown to start with, then wash in a darker brown...

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: 30 March 2013, 19:20:35 »
Thanks Colin, I'll have to practice the painting of the deck on some scrap, It will be some time yet.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: 07 April 2013, 10:22:55 »
I've made a start on the superstructure, the instructions and the printed plasticard show the aft end of the lower section (probably the galley),to be offset to strbrd. but the plan shows this equal on the centre line, as I am building to plan, I've reset the printed card accordingly, well if it was too easy it wouldn't be fun would It,  I'm also using cross braces instead of triangle supports. you may notice that I've raised the base of the bridge 1mm this is to make it easier to fit the bridge as the deck has a slight curve up to the bow.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2013, 10:31:55 by radio joe »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: 07 April 2013, 11:25:13 »
Nice work Joe, I really like the cut you made for the deck to the hull very good fit.  Will need to ensure my next build is as good as yours the tips you give are just the ticket.  The planking idea if you go ahead with it will really look nice and give some very fine detail to the deck.  Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: 07 April 2013, 16:00:49 »
A little more done this afternoon, just enjoying advancing the bridge structure, after my first kit, I tend now to measure and cut each piece as it is needed, I have found this is the best solution for misprinted pieces, I have learnt so much from building Deans kits, probably because whilst I cannot fault their hulls, the super structures are not "perfect" fits etc. To the extent that for my next build I'm thinking of just a hull/  some plans and some sheets of styrene, I'll be giving that some thought.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: 11 April 2013, 17:14:22 »
done a bit more today, added the bridge deck sides and the flag deck and sides, plus a little bit of railing, decks and superstructure just put in place at this time as of course the running gear is not fitted yet (birthday's nearly here) but very satisfying pottering about with it.