Author Topic: HMS Solebay build  (Read 94996 times)

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
Re: HMS Solebay build
« Reply #120 on: 10 April 2013, 19:43:03 »
Thx Joe imagination is the word on this build, my first attempt at constructing a model ship. Thx for your photos and those of Pauls without which a sucessful build would have been so much more difficult perhaps impossible. Will get necessary materials and let u know how I get on Many Thx Clive

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #121 on: 10 April 2013, 19:51:24 »
Thx Paul, and thx for your photos. I started well after yourself and Joe so have not posted photos as yours and Joes are first class. Will post photo of finished ship. All the best for your build happy sailing. Many thx Clive

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #122 on: 10 April 2013, 22:00:44 »
Hi Clive, Hope you continue to enjoy your build, if I can help with anything else feel free to ask,  regards Joe.

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #123 on: 13 April 2013, 21:23:09 »
Hi Joe and Paul, got brass rods and have done aerials. Whilst I had the soldering iron out I did the mast as well, and with the rod I had left over I was able to finish that as well. What a difference these items make to the look of the ship. Again many thx for your help much appreciated Clive

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #124 on: 27 April 2013, 10:31:39 »
Hi Joe, Hull, deck and all superstructures constructed and painted. Masts done thanks for advice. All other fittings painted ready for fitting. Now on construction of guns. Instructions and sketches not clear. Started with single Bofor, and there is a rectangular piece of metal in kit, can't establish where it fits. Can you please help by description or if you have the time some close up photos at different angles of this and the other guns( not the twin 4.5 turret). These are the last items to be constructed and it would be nice for once to do just that instead of lengthy battles in the mind as to which is the right way. You certainly have the bug, second model well under way and looking up to high standards as before. Whens this birthday, the day those special props arrive, good thinking hey. Thanks again for previous help, awaiting any help you can give. Many thanks Clive 

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #125 on: 27 April 2013, 11:19:00 »
Morning Clive,  Glad to hear you have nearly completed your Solebay. look forward to seeing some photos when finished.  I am still away off.  Still working on the 4 inch guns to rotate and fitting in the battery charger system then my decks will be bonded in and the full paint job can start.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: 27 April 2013, 19:04:56 »
Hi Clive,  Yes those single bofors are tricky, here's a couple of pics before painting that might help, you can also see the twin staag's these have been embellished with some scrap styrene  you can use a bit of modelers license throughout the build if you are happy with it that's the main thing.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2013, 19:09:44 by radio joe »

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #127 on: 28 April 2013, 08:55:27 »
Thx Joe you're a star, as a first time modeller your help is invaluable and very much appreciated Clive

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #128 on: 28 April 2013, 10:01:40 »
No problem Clive, pleased if I have helped in any way, look forward to seeing your finished Solebay 
« Last Edit: 28 April 2013, 16:43:09 by radio joe »

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #129 on: 30 April 2013, 14:19:19 »
Hi Joe, yes a photo of my finished model will be posted. This may seem a silly question, but I am having difficulty gluing the hard plastic gun moldings to the ordinary plastic and the metal items. Have the suggested glues and been to local hobby shop without success. What did you use. Your help as always will be much appreciated Many Thanks Clive

Offline Manxman1831

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #130 on: 30 April 2013, 14:36:28 »
I used ordinary superglue for building the guns and placing the fittings on Cossack.  A little patience was required for the barrels as I did not use the Deans insert behind the front of the shield for the 4.7"s.

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #131 on: 30 April 2013, 16:16:48 »
Thx Petty Officer will give that a try. Clive

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: 30 April 2013, 18:54:16 »
Hi Clive  I've used quite a few Cyanoacrylate glues and I've found that some are better than others, the one I always use now is ADMIRALTY GLUES professonal Cyanoacrylate medium for fixing fittings to deck etc. and thin for styrene superstructure joints using the capillary method, I also use the thin to fix deck supports and then back them up with epoxy. Admiralty glues are available from cornwallmodelboats.com

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #133 on: 30 April 2013, 19:39:35 »
Thx Joe what would we novices do without you. Clive

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #134 on: 03 May 2013, 16:30:21 »
Hi Joe, Used ordinary superglue until today when Admiralty Professional Glues arrived. Just the ticket everything sticking first time and staying stuck, a change from being stuck (ha ha) trying to work what to try next. Many Thx Clive