Author Topic: Maersk Anglia  (Read 137089 times)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
Re: Maersk Anglia
« Reply #75 on: 02 March 2014, 14:22:49 »
Nice work Dennis, will have to get some info from you on the photo etch, as I have a lot of parts in that area.  Would appreciate some pointers in the computer work and the kit.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: 03 March 2014, 07:27:04 »
this sort of work certainly inspires others to try things out..  ^^^

@ Paul you might like to read this thread Brass Etchings

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 03 March 2014, 18:01:06 »
Thank you for the nice replies. As for the process of photo etching Paul, not as hard to do as I thought it would be. Like you I had a few parts I wanted to do with this process so I jus dove in and tried my hand at it. As for the chemicals used you can just about pic them up any where. It was easier for me to buy the whole kit at first just to learn how to do it. The hardest part with it is the lamination of the photo resistance sheet to the metal, making sure there are no air bubbles or other defects. Once you have that down the rest is a breeze. The chemicals used are Sodium Hydroxide which is for developing the photo etch part and the other is Ferric Chloride used for the etching (removing the unwanted metal from your design). I found mine a micro mark, comes with everything you need to get started.http://www.micromark.com/micro-mark-pro-etch-photo-etch-system,8346.html. They have two different kits one is for here in the US and the other is their export kit. I will say I went through a little material in learning on how to do this, but in the end I am happy with the result. I have also started my build of the trein and plan to use the process for the window frames to see how well it will work for that.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 18 March 2014, 16:58:13 »
Manage to find some time to work on the winch room. Thought I would try my hand at some water tight doors, making them so as to appear in the open position on different parts of the model. The end result came out ok, but I need to go back and change up the drawings on the photo etch a bit. I also installed a led light on the inside for added detail. Here are some of the pics of what I came up with so far. Still a few more details to it, some vents, ladder and outside lights.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 18 March 2014, 17:06:11 »
Very nice work, Dennis. I like the idea of bringing lights into it. ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: 18 March 2014, 17:26:34 »
Yes totally agree, some inspiring work there well done Dennis.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 18 March 2014, 20:29:34 »
yes very nice all round but particularly great funnel builds

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: 19 March 2014, 06:42:58 »
i will dig in with the others.... super...  enjoying... ^^^ ^^^

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 19 March 2014, 13:47:02 »
Thanks gents for the kind replies. I went in and changed the design of the water tight doors so as to have them already attached to the door frame. In that way I will not have to attach them with glue. Just a simple bend at the hinge area.  Should come out a lot cleaner next time.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #84 on: 19 March 2014, 13:57:03 »
Nice work Dennis, have sent you a PM.  Paul

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 26 March 2015, 21:28:47 »
Hey everyone, was able to sneak awhile for a bit a get some model time in!!! I was able to build the forward and rear stack platforms and get them painted along with the rear platform at the transom. Also was able to build on some of the small parts. I also wanted to add the detail on the front of the bridge where it angles back. Thought it would make it a bit more interesting.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 26 March 2015, 21:32:02 »
Pics of the rear platform and small parts details.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 26 March 2015, 21:34:30 »
Pics of the forward bridge detail and supports

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 27 March 2015, 07:00:11 »
Hey Dennis,

glad to see some more pics from you. She is coming along nicely. Excellent work as always from you. Interesting that the bulwarks are not part of the hull. How will you get it watertight?

Regards Arno

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #89 on: 27 March 2015, 12:48:59 »
Hi Dennis,
Very nice detail work there, she is coming along very nicely, your work is impressive. ^^^ :) Paul.