Author Topic: HMS SOLEBAY  (Read 17926 times)

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
Re: HMS SOLEBAY
« Reply #15 on: 15 December 2020, 19:01:54 »
The Aft Superstructure with the two Staag Mounts

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 20 December 2020, 14:55:56 »
The funnel with the aerials still to be fitted I will leave this to nearer the final build

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 20 December 2020, 14:57:15 »
The torpedo tubes

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 20 December 2020, 15:05:16 »
The lattice mast I enjoyed building and painting the soldering was made easier with a gas soldering torch

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 20 December 2020, 15:06:11 »
Small Masts made from brass rod

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 20 December 2020, 15:09:54 »
Director I have considered motorising along with the main armament. It was this director that caused the delay in completing the the Battle class

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 23 December 2020, 16:52:43 »
Ships Boats completed the basics are their for the modeller to produce a good replica. They are a bit fiddley the alternative would be to buy ready made ones but that can be costly and should be a last resort

!6 ft Fast Motor Dingy

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 23 December 2020, 16:54:43 »
25 ft Whaler

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 23 December 2020, 16:55:19 »
25 ft Fast Motor Boat

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 23 December 2020, 16:55:59 »
25 ft Motor Launch

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 24 December 2020, 14:45:47 »
I have started on the hull and deck. I have glued the fore deck in place which is fine I can still replace the electrics in this part of the ship. However fitting the after deck permanently can cause problems when trying to get access to motors, I have seen problems other club member have had in trying to replace faulty parts with no or restricted access. The access as designed allow me to change the battery but not the motors steering servo or speed controller. So I will modify the deck to allow it to be removed in one piece. I also have portholes I bought at a club sale 200 Caldercraft 5mm OD for a fiver, having already used the on the bridge etc they should be ok

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2021, 14:10:00 »
Decided to glue the deck down after all as it is integral to the strength of the ship. While i have never needed to replace motors in any of my other ships there is always a first time. If I require to remove a motor a small hole drilled in the deck will suffice to reach the outer screws the inner screws are not a problem. Speed controller, receiver and all servos can be replaced easily.

Offline Railbob

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 21 January 2021, 16:43:02 »
Pegasus, she’s looking good, I think it’s a good idea to properly fix the deck to the hull, my worry would be water ingress which would no doubt cause damage to the electrics. I’m currently building Amethyst,well just started, and I’m trying to work out where I should put all the electrical gubbins as I don’t think there is the same amount of access on her compared to my other boats.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 21 January 2021, 19:30:13 »
I have been lucky as I have never had water in any of the ships I have built. On my S Boats and MTB that tend to cause a lot of spray at speed I brought the electrics forward and put in a bulkhead in front hold any water ingress which has never happened I also place a bulkhead in between the shafts and motor for the same result.
Look forward to seeing your photographs

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 12 February 2021, 15:26:12 »
Continuing with the build of the ship this has kept me sane for the last eight months though the pandemic. Just finished painting the crew. With this done that means the final assembly can now proceed.