Author Topic: Newbie seeking information.  (Read 5329 times)

seasalt

Newbie seeking information.
« on: 02 April 2008, 21:17:17 »
Hi There.
             Can anyone advise as to what type of electric motors and props, eg. left or right for my 1/72 N Class Destroyer that will soon be under construction.After looking down many lists of various fittings, i am finding it very confusing to say the least.

Best Regards Theo.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Newbie seeking information.
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2008, 09:00:11 »
Sorry to say, i can not help you on that one!! i don’t have the dimensions of the Hull??

but the motors i guess should have round about 9000-15000 Rpm, 6 or 12 volts doesn’t really matter

and of course the props must fit under the Hull, and onto the Prop shafts, probably somewhere between 25-40mm in diameter, depending on the RPM of the motor.

seasalt

« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2008, 13:53:14 »
Thanks Colin.

The model, when i start will be of a J or K class destroyer useing John Lambert plans to a scale of 1/72 = 1 ft. The model will be 59.33" long and 5.96" wide, i did notice on one drawing two enormouse props, actual size 10 ft 6" in dia. Does it make a differance  if they are left or right handed.I will endevour to keep it as light as possible.

Regards Theo.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2008, 19:21:20 »
if you use a Left and right hand Prop you will have better handeling on the water.

one thing that can be tryed out is to swap the Left and Right hand Props and cross them over to the other sides, this would change the flow of the water

1.Props on there respective proper sides = a type of jet of water that emergies center to the stern
2.Props swaped over = the Water comes out of the side of the stern

i manly only build Merchant ships, so i personaly dont know which props to use for Warships

although Deansmarine have just received the new Destroyer Props from Raboesch.