Author Topic: HMS Bramble build  (Read 157747 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Bramble build
« Reply #60 on: 30 April 2013, 19:10:43 »
Prop shafts , tubes and a-frames fitted,the photo makes it look like the shafts are splayed but they are parallel, I'll fit the motors and couplings next before I bond in the tubes to make sure everything lines up and turns freely.
I also decided to shape the a-frame legs so they don't look too heavy.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: 01 May 2013, 18:01:18 »
the free-runers certainly look better than the propshafts all the way to the "A" frames...

i would have probably taken the "A" frames down (shapen) a little bit more... they do look better that the unshaped ones...as originally supplied..  ^^^

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: 01 May 2013, 18:16:28 »
So now your one year older and the good lady is a few pounds light in her purse.  So I must say well done a lesson for us all here.  As for the the boat I think you doing a grand job, but you will now need to seek aproval from her who must be obayed as she has a share in the build now.   Great Joe. ^^^ ^^^

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: 01 May 2013, 18:25:24 »
Motors fitted and shafts bonded in,   motors wired and tested, rudder and servo done, as with Solebay I wanted to have the on/off switch accessible on the deck this time I'm using a mushroom vent on top of a brass rod through the deck to the switch positioned on the sweep deck.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: 01 May 2013, 19:09:58 »
Nice job and a great idea for the switch.   I have fitted an RSA socket to HMS Solebay and wired in a feed to recharge my two 7.2 batterys and tested ok.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: 01 May 2013, 19:25:27 »
Hi Paul , the recharge socket is a good idea, I still remove batteries to charge, as for the wife, she likes gardening and I like building boats what a great match, with just the occasional (oy! that grass needs cutting),

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: 03 May 2013, 20:17:44 »
Rudder fitted, stock rudder works well in Solebay so should be fine in the smaller Bramble,  also installed receiver so next job is to bond the decks down.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: 04 May 2013, 22:18:01 »
just before I bond the decks I remembered to fit the pegs to take the rubber bands for holding the hatches down, a system I have found simple but effective,
« Last Edit: 23 May 2014, 13:54:49 by radio joe »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: 05 May 2013, 12:30:34 »
Today I bonded the decks down using 30 Minuit epoxy, then rubbed down the deck/hull joint, because I scribed the planking in the decks they had a bit of an upward curve so had to use some heavy things to hold flat till set, as you can see I used an assortment of "weights" and no it's not an alternative superstructure.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: 05 May 2013, 20:37:35 »
Nice job Joe, and I fully understand your comment on the supper structure. (he he he) :wink1: Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: 06 May 2013, 15:11:04 »
with the decks now bonded I tackled the break water and quite pleased with it, and started to fit the assemblies I made up earlier, she's now taking on the looks of a ship.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: 07 May 2013, 08:37:40 »
jup, she's looking like a ship now.....  ^^^

very nice..

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: 08 May 2013, 16:32:32 »
as I did on Solebay I've used plastic drinking straws for the anchor hawsers, works quite well, next the cable reel is located under the gun deck so needs to be fitted after painting so will be one of the last deck items to be fitted, but to make it easier later I've fitted pins to the reel legs and location holes in the deck.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: 10 May 2013, 18:18:43 »
A little more progress today, aft crew shelter, and bofors platform with a bit detailing, and the anchor winch, next I think I tackle the wing bridge support frames

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: 11 May 2013, 00:04:48 »
Nice and quality build Joe, like what I see and I hope you are enjoying the build.  She is coming along nicely.   Just a question, how did you drill the anchor apertures.  I know you used a drink straw, but to drill at an angle!  Give up the secret!