Author Topic: HMS Bramble build  (Read 157721 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Bramble build
« Reply #45 on: 15 April 2013, 14:59:44 »
Made and fitted the little asdic hut on front of bridge what a fiddly thing that was but I think it looks OK,  next I cut the funnel parts from the vacuforms, and made the funnel and just like Solebays funnel with a bit of care makes a decent funnel,  the funnel is actually 8mm shorter than the plan so I'm going to make some sort of plinth on the deck to make the height look right, there is no plinth shown on the plan but there seems to be something like one in one of the pictures, I'll use my intuition on that one

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: 16 April 2013, 15:41:56 »
made the plinth for the funnel to make height the same as plan, should look OK when it's painted and has all the other deck gear in place, it was also a good place to terminate the tie wires

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: 16 April 2013, 16:37:23 »
Nice job,  I think you have got it just about right.  ^^^

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: 19 April 2013, 15:28:51 »
A little more progress today, the wind breaks on the bridge, forward gun crew shelter, and the funnel platform, (crows nest if they still call it that) fiddly but satifying

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: 19 April 2013, 19:59:03 »
your making my mouth water.....  defiantly have to put this Model on my Wishlist... or to do list  ^^^  ^^^

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 20 April 2013, 12:43:15 »
Very nice build. I must admit I have been tempted by this model ever since I saw the example in the DM showroom. If I was going to make the model I would visit the showroom and take photos (permission granted of course :)) as a reference source as it has enhanced detailing. Funny thing about that model - it is an excellent example of model making but I was told it was deposited there by its builder who oddly enough was not satisfied with the outcome. :o

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: 20 April 2013, 13:38:50 »
Thanks Robin,  I have eight photos of that model Ron kindly e-mailed to me before I ordered the kit and they really do help as I have to say the plans are a little short on detail and showing some fittings that are not indexed,so I just do what I think looks right ie. fit a vent grille where it makes sense etc.  If my Bramble turns out anything like that one I'll be satisfied.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: 20 April 2013, 13:54:57 »
i have 11 photo's of the Deans Showroom model but there all from the Ships boats, as they are excellent... mind you so is the whole model...

i agree with you Joe... if yours turns out anything like that one... i would be very very very pleased...  ^^^  :)

Joe if you would like my photo's drop me a line..

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: 21 April 2013, 11:41:21 »
The build is coming along nicely Joe.   I agree with you,  you do what you feel is correct and add the personal touches to the model in the detail to enhance the build and your satisfaction.   Keep up the good work.  Paul ^^^   

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: 21 April 2013, 13:55:56 »
Thanks Colin for the kind offer of the photos, they would be much appreciated, the more information the better,I've sent an e-mail to you with e-mail address.

Yes Paul your right about the fittings etc. I don't want to get too paranoid about getting everything historically correct as I think that would spoil the enjoyment of the build.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: 24 April 2013, 15:40:55 »
A bit more detailing done on the bridge and built the generator room everything just put in place at the moment,  I want to bond the decks down before I do any more to them as I've still got some more stiffeners to put around the access hatches to stop any flexing in that area, but first I've got the running gear etc. to do which I'll be starting next week.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: 24 April 2013, 17:20:44 »
Hi Joe,  I have to say the quality of the air vents to the gen room have great detail and look the same as those fitted to you HMS Solebay.   They seem to be of different quality to the ones I got in my Kit.  Take a look at my photos of this area and let me know what you think? 

Othere wise the build is coming along fine and you will be one year older just to get you props and running gear.  My My what a way to to go so in case I miss it Happy Birthday when it comes.  Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: 24 April 2013, 18:11:51 »
Thanks Paul, the generator room doors as shewn in the plans are just openings but I decided to have closed water tight doors and vent grilles I had left over from Solebay, not from the Solebay kit, I got them from John R Haynes fittings some of which I have fitted to my Solebay.

As for the birthday I figured I would be a year older anyway so I just as well get something out of it lol.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: 29 April 2013, 23:12:11 »
Now have the shafts prepared for fitting, makers recommend fixing bearings with cyano so you can use heat to remove bearing to renew when necessary,  but I have soldered mine as I can't see me running the ship enough to ever wear them out, A-frames also ready and cut out stern tube slots.

tracatruc

« Reply #59 on: 30 April 2013, 10:53:06 »
SO VERY IMPRESSED WITH YOUR BUILD.WELL DONE INDEED.THAT WHALER IS AMAZING.NEWBY ^^^