Author Topic: My First Model  (Read 39394 times)

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
Re: My First Model
« Reply #45 on: 11 December 2008, 07:19:37 »
Once you add inner re-inforcement the twisting will be gone.

To make the deck flat I mark a line on the outside of the hull. On the inside I already glue the wood that will support the deck. Then I sand everything with a long "Permagrit"  (http://www.permagrit.com/)
In this way you can follow the line on the outside and because I use a long tool (28cm) I can make it flat.

How longer your tool how flatter the line will be.

agentfunky

« Reply #46 on: 11 December 2008, 19:54:13 »
Thanks for the advice.

I'll get some support in the hull and do some sanding. Had a look at the permagrit website....which tool do you use, or would you recomend a selection?

Thanks

Phil

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #47 on: 15 December 2008, 07:41:31 »
I use the SANDING BLOCK FLAT 280mm x 51mm
but I also have:
SPAR SLOTTER 3mm fine grit
SPAR SLOTTER 6mm fine grit

The advantage of the spar slotter: they are smaller than the sanding block.

Beside this there are still a lot of other tools you can use, (disc sander, band sander,...) But be carefull with these because if the grid is to coarse you will sand to fast and pass the marked lines...

With electronic sander I always start from 120-180 grit.

Kurt

agentfunky

« Reply #48 on: 20 December 2008, 16:55:19 »
Tahnks, I've placed an order fro the sanding block...looks like it will come in handy

agentfunky

« Reply #49 on: 27 December 2008, 17:21:42 »
OK....

Got the hull washed and sanded down....Have now sanded the hull to the appropriate deck height and I am now preparing to start glueing some of the decking supports in......but it seems to me that it would be better to make the correct incisions for the prop-shafts and rudder assemblies before doing any glueing.....or have I got it wrong?

The hull is still slightly twisted and I'm wondring if I should weight/tape it down to encourage it to straighten out before taking the next step and glueing in any components

I have also ordered an alternative propshaft/a-frame/prop and rudder assembly....not because there is anything wrong with the Deans shafts but there is a scale manufacturer that has been reccomended by a guy who has buit the Kidd at the club I'm a member of......I'm awaiting delivery before I go on..

Any advice?

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 28 December 2008, 18:23:13 »
I think you are right about the order of doing things. Personally I prefer to get the holes in the hull done first. A word of warning - Z37 had two dimples in its hull supposedly marking where the A-frame fixing holes were located. I drilled the holes for the A-frames and proceeded with bonding propshafts and A-frames. Checking against the drawing I then found my propshaft ends (as dictated by the A-frame positions) were about 30millimetres too near to the stern! I have not undone this as it won't affect the model operationally (I hope) but a true rivet counter would love pointing my error out! So before you drill anything check against the drawing.
New prop shafts, A-frames, rudders - crikey that sounds drastic.  By the way be very careful with the prop shaft slots in the hull. Once again do not take the hull markings as necessarily being correct - make sure the two slots are equally spaced from the keel - it is quite difficult to get the two prop shafts parallel to the keel and equally distant from it but important you do so.
Good Luck.

agentfunky

« Reply #51 on: 29 December 2008, 18:51:12 »
Thanks for the advice Karlgaster.

I will check the plans carefully. I think I'll work out the centreline of the hull along the keel and then measure an equal distance parallell to the centreline to work out the propsaft alignments....I'm guessing it would be easy to assume that the motor mount provided would give me the right dimensions....and work off that as a starting point.

I've ordered the alternative running gear from Sitek......and I believe that SHG supplies to the mount to suit the running gear but I'll wait for the propshafts to land and weigh the situation at that point.

I can't see how the hull being slightly twisted wil be corrected by the installation of the hull internal supports etc, but that is down to my lack of experience more that anything else.  I've cut the deck supports out along the lines shown in on the ply but they seem slightly oversize.....I assume that this by design so that they can be sanded to fit snugly.

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #52 on: 29 December 2008, 19:32:41 »
Can you post a picture of the progress you already made?

It's always important to measure (and remeasure) things before making holes...
Even with the bigger companies (graupner/robbe/...) I have seen mismarked items in a kit.  So I always try to measure before I make a hole in the hull or upper deck.

agentfunky

« Reply #53 on: 04 January 2009, 21:23:02 »
Hi,

I'll try and post a pick soon.....waiting for the running ger to land....Chrsitmas post and all has obviously caused some delay.

Progress so far is a hull that is sanded to deck level with nothing else in it......

I've been advised that there is a glue called "Sticks Like Sh*t" which is supposed to be excellent for bonding wood and plastic....anyone any experience of this stuff? and does anyone know if it bonds to fibreglass?