Author Topic: Etched stanchions or stanchions of white metal?  (Read 7721 times)

Andrée

Etched stanchions or stanchions of white metal?
« on: 15 August 2009, 13:00:32 »
Hi there!

I'm quite confused about some of the fittings supplied with the kits of Deans Marine. In my kit (Trein Maersk), I have both photo-etched stanchions and stanchions of white metal. The etched one is complete with railings. I wonder how they want me to do, shall I use one of the fittings or both? If I use the stanchions of white metal, shall I use the brass-wire as railing?

/Andrée

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
Re: Etched stanchions or stanchions of white metal?
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2009, 06:54:34 »
Andrée,

Personnaly I find the etches stanchoins are easier to place on the model.
The advantage of the etches stanchions is that they can withstand a lot of bending when they are already placed.

In the white metal ones I've used a very small iron wire as railing.

Andrée

« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2009, 12:26:54 »
Hi!

Okey, I see. Don't you think the stanchions of white metal looks more realistic than the etched one? The etched stanchions have no rounded contours, it may look strange with angular railings, or?

Andrée

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2009, 16:55:50 »
lets see if i can try and answer this one.
personly i prefer the Etched stanchions, there more robuster than the white metal ones!!

there are different types of Etched stanchions:
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/5_8/products_id/156
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/5_8/products_id/158

some of these stanchions are flat and some are rounded

there is also available, turned brass single stanchions;
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1_2/products_id/732

the two attached photos, show the Flat Etched Stanchions (Red) and the Rounded Etched Stanchions (White)

Andrée

« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2009, 20:27:26 »
Hi Colin!

Thanks for your help.
My kit was supplied with the stanchion set called BE-2. In my opinion this do not seem to be realistic since the railing is etched together with the stanchions, which make it angular and not rounded as the real thing. I have looked at the etching called BE-3, you don't have the railing on this one, which is good. I suppose you can use a common brasswire to work as railing. The problem with the sheet of BE-3 is that there are very few diagonal stanchions, only 14, I would have to buy at least 5 or 6 sheets just to fill the need of these stanchions.

Another question, are you drilling a hole for each stanchion or do you have another technique?

/Andrée

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2009, 09:22:11 »
personally i think that the Stanchions BE-2 are OK for beginners...!!  ;)

the best ones are the rounded ones that can be found in the Kit Lis Terkol, i am sure if you ask the Workshops they Probably have a load of these laying around, if not it would be a good suggestion for a new set of single Stanchions..
and yes the railing is from normal brass wire, as can be seen in the attached photo.

the best way of fixing the single Stanchions in place;
mark were all the stanchions go and then, hold the stanchion with a long nose pliers, with a dry hot soldering iron warm the stanchion and press them into the plastic.

this method should be described in the instructions??

Andrée

« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2009, 18:27:35 »
Hi again!

What's the difference between BE-3 and the stanchions you have on Lis Terkol, the white ones? I have looked at the BE-3 once again and it seems that the stanchions aren't all the same. Some have three holes for the railing, some have only two. Do you know why they have done it in this way, it seems to be a wastage in my case as I only need stanchions with three holes.

/Andrée   

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2009, 19:01:32 »
the BE-3 are Royal Navy Stanchions, the bottom two rails are lower....

the Round Stanchions that are in the Lis Terkol Kit are spread even over the hole Stanchion.

if you have some time on your hands it might be worth a trip to the workshops, there is an Open Day next weekend.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2009, 19:04:49 by colin »