Author Topic: My build of HMS Solebay.  (Read 212094 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: My build of HMS Solebay.
« Reply #240 on: 12 August 2013, 20:04:27 »
Hi Paul, who's been a busy boy then, perhaps now you've court up I can order HMS Cossack LOL, seriously though she looks a fine job, look forward to seeing her on the water, at last they have cleared the weed from the lake I use apparently they couldn't do it till now because of the mating  season of the lesser spotted midget shrimp or something like that LOL. but it is nice and clear now.
I have just joined the "surface warship association" and have already been invited to exhibit my two Deans ships at an exhibition in Gosport on the bank holiday weekend something new to me but looking forward to it I'll post some photos after.  Joe. 

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #241 on: 12 August 2013, 22:40:50 »
Superb build Paul - awaiting the launch and sea trials!

James

philchop

« Reply #242 on: 13 August 2013, 10:53:30 »
Hi Paul, lovely model, I know how much time it takes to get it to that level ,but she looks great!! well done.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #243 on: 13 August 2013, 15:55:31 »
I agree a lot of hours in this one. One to be proud of, looks amazing!! ^^^

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #244 on: 13 August 2013, 18:14:20 »
welldone Paul   ^^^
i think you can be prowed of the work you have put into this model.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #245 on: 13 August 2013, 19:59:52 »
Lovely job to be proud of Paul.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #246 on: 16 August 2013, 12:13:24 »
Thanks guys for your word and engorgement for my next build which I wont to make even better in the build.   The joints on some of the structures could be better with more time in cutting and sealing.   Using the plans more with the old saying measure twice cut once.   After all that I am really delighted with her and I am now doing the crew and looking for flags to suit.   The sea trials will come when I have full varnished the hull and all the main deck.   Hope to have a video of the sea trials.   I have my dry suit ready in case she goes deep!!!.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #247 on: 19 August 2013, 16:19:15 »
well lads the first water test was the trusty old bath.  When I first put her in with the weight in the bow she was leaning to one side, adjusted the weight more to the centre and corrected the lean to the one side now she seems to be level.   The wind is too high at the moment so not able to take her to the local dock yard and sailer.   So did a operation test and find tuned the rudder found it cam loose from its loction in the hull floor.  So first mod to her has been carried out and plans adjusted.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2013, 16:22:50 by paul swainson »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #248 on: 19 August 2013, 16:25:39 »
I have found the turning circle of the guns very poor, so going to try the circle idea that Joe posted.   I got with my mini servos a circle disc so will put that on the guns and a larger one on the servo, see how that goes.  Once the wind comes down will video sea trials.

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #249 on: 19 August 2013, 16:48:46 »
Nice one Paul, looks good in water. Good luck with sea trials. Clive

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #250 on: 19 August 2013, 19:09:03 »
Hi Paul, Looks good in the water, I've noticed that my solebay is effected by anything more than a light breeze, probably her relatively narrow beam to her length, tends to get blown sideways when she's not underway, I don't see any Carley floats on board, you have to protect the crew you know especially on sea trials LOL.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #251 on: 19 August 2013, 20:44:09 »
LoL.  The crew will not be on board when see trails take place.   They will be under going a uniform inspection to ensure they are fit for service aboard HMS Solebay.   Must be smart, so shoes.boots black, gernal duties  blue shorts trousers and shirt, and for the engine room crew up for a smoke boiler suits.   Deck watch full whites, and officers in full whites.  So the rafts will just have to wait. (hehehe)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #252 on: 25 August 2013, 17:23:37 »
Well gents water trails have been completed and I have put on my photo stream the video of the event.   due to the size of the film you will find it better to view there.  The link is the same as previous post.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/92998762@N02/sets/72157632709296137/

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #253 on: 25 August 2013, 19:12:50 »
I use tracing paper laid over the drawings that deans had for the main templates.  I used 3 ply wood and used a mini wood saw/bow saw to cut out the shape and then sanded down until they slotted into the hull.  I used these instead of the plastic card ones which are in the kit.   They give the hull a ridged structure to work with.   

Offline RHSDRAKE8

• Able Seaman
« Reply #254 on: 25 August 2013, 22:52:57 »
Hi Paul,
Well what can I say wonderful job you have made of that model what will you find to do next?
It really spurrs me on to want to spend more time modeling and less time working the curse of the poor!
I found the flicker site it is very good to have all the photos in one place saves trying to find them in the forum topic. one thing I could not get the video to play? do you need to sign up/in to get the play button to work?
I am currently having fun trying to get the hatch system sorted. It seems I may have a problem trying to keep the deck level with the flange under the deck to support the hatch, and I now see why Deans say leave 2mm gap at the top to the top of the hull templates, I should have read a bit more into the instructions.
Your final paint job has really made the model come to life, again well done.
Kind regards
Dave