Author Topic: My build of HMS Solebay.  (Read 212118 times)

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
Re: My build of HMS Solebay.
« Reply #225 on: 06 August 2013, 16:35:57 »
Hi Paul looking good so much up-graded detail. I purchased 10mm thick metal, 75mm wide, sits well widthwise. I have cut various lengths marking weights 4oz up to 1lb. Having identified position in hull clearly marked, removed, made a tray to exact size which was glued to hull and into which weights placed. Thus giving me a low centre of gravity (10mm) and the ability to move weights if I add future items that change the balance of the ship. Regards Clive

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #226 on: 06 August 2013, 16:39:11 »
Hi Paul Should have said trays, weights may well have to be in more than one position Regards Clive

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #227 on: 06 August 2013, 18:39:47 »
Hi Clive,   I think Paul is on a few months holiday in oz , when talking about weight, I was quite surprised how much ballast it took to get Solebay on her water line and even Bramble at two thirds the length took more than I had thought, but put in the right places it does make them very stable.
Joe.

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #228 on: 06 August 2013, 21:37:58 »
Hi Joe, Lucky Paul. The right ballast certainly makes her stable. Sailed mine at Roath Park Lake Cardiff handled well looks really good, swell worth all the heartache. Was down there today but a green weed is beginning to take over and cover the surface, not many more days sailing there will have to find new venue, one in mind. See you have itchy fingers, HMS Cossack, well so do I HMS Tanatside, a Welsh connection, funded by the people of Ceredigion, Wales. Its name the first letter of the villages forming Ceredigion (pilgrim ceredigion.gov.uk). I see you are sailing HMS Bramble and fab she looks. One problem so that history does not repeat itself can we avoid 58.13N,03.18E. On the 4th Sept 1942 HMS Tanatside was launched and on the 26th Sept was in collision with HMS Bramble at this location, and thereafter under repair until late Oct 1942(www.naval history net/ Tanatside). Forwarned is forarmed, hey. Regards Clive

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #229 on: 06 August 2013, 22:13:40 »
Hey Clive, When you have finished HMS Tanatside would you make sure you keep her well clear of Wallpole Park, I prefer HMS Bramble without any dents LOL. 

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #230 on: 11 August 2013, 22:19:00 »
Hi guys, I am back and enjoyed my two week break down in the Tiviton area.   Two weeks of great weather and read four books (normally I read maybe one.)  Well I have returned to my model building and have got a lot done in the passed week and have just about finished her off.   Just the small boats to attach and bond the last few small items of detail to the deck.   I must say she looks great and really proud of her.   I have to stick the decals on and not sure if the ones supplied are like the model.  (Place then in warm water and then slide them off onto the surface they are meant.   May be Joe can advise me on that one.)  I only have to varnish the whole hull and the main deck and superstructure and she will be ready for the pond.   Like most of you my pond is full of weed so will try the one in Largs to give her a first outing.   Will post lots of pictures of her some time this week so that you can see the final build.

When I return from my retirement break in Oz and NZ with look at my next project.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #231 on: 12 August 2013, 09:56:17 »
basically yes Paul, the decals in water (does not have to be warm) then slide them into location on the modell.

but what i do.... were the decals go i firstly give the area a drop of gloss varnish, then apply the decal, dabbing it with a dry tissue once in its location, then i paint over it with with a decal softener and then paint over with a decal fixer, then once all dry, another thin coat of gloss varnish, this hides the area around the decal that would normally come up mat...

once all this is dry i then spray the hole hull in satin varnish...

hope this helps..

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #232 on: 12 August 2013, 17:48:02 »
I always put some washing up liquid in the water it breaks down the surface tension and makes the transfers slid easier and give a bit longer to position and fix using a gentle dabbing action.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2013, 17:51:03 by radio joe »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #233 on: 12 August 2013, 18:16:55 »
Yes Colin and Joe that did help, now if I may be so bold here she is and the only item to do is the 8 lift boats and stand and a full coat of varnish.   Hope you do not mind the photos I think she is just great.   Well worth the wait time and hours put in.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2013, 18:19:52 by paul swainson »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #234 on: 12 August 2013, 18:22:39 »
and some more

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #235 on: 12 August 2013, 18:24:42 »
and the last.   There are more on my Flicker site which you can view if you want to see more detail.  Here is the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/92998762@N02/
« Last Edit: 12 August 2013, 18:46:01 by paul swainson »

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #236 on: 12 August 2013, 19:06:03 »
Fab Paul shes' going to look magnificent sailing. It was such a thrill when I sailed mine first christening with a bottle, which those present helped finish off. Great detail. Will there be a crew, that really is a finishing touch. Well done. Clive  I have ordered HMS Tanatside due to be delivered Wed/Thurs 14th/15th.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #237 on: 12 August 2013, 19:10:15 »
Yes there will be a crew, they have all just been primed and sorted out as to what goes were.   The dress will be white tops  with blue bell bottoms some in shorts.   Officers in full dress, and gun crew in White flash guards.   This will take some time and will require some more colours to be ordered.   Thanks for your comments and yes there will be a launch.

Offline simon2302

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #238 on: 12 August 2013, 19:31:06 »
What colour green did you use for the deck? and a fab looking boat. Simon

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #239 on: 12 August 2013, 19:52:24 »
Used 88 hombrol (acrylic) paint.  Thanks for your kind comments.   All the decks of the Battle Destroyers were painted green.