Author Topic: Acrylic paint  (Read 21685 times)

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
Acrylic paint
« on: 11 March 2009, 13:07:20 »
On all my models up to now I have used Halford auto spray cans (I think they are acrylic based) for priming and for hull red oxide lower hull paint and where appropriate matt black for hull top sides. For the rest of the model I have used Humbrol enamels air brushed where possible.

I heard last year that Humbrol was to withdraw their enamel paints in response to a dictate from the dreaded EU. Looking in model shops and on the internet I can see no sign of the removal of Humbrol enamels - does anybody know of the situation now?

Does anybody use acrylic paint for airbrushing? I have looked at the Humbrol acrylics but the colour range is a cut down version of their enamel range - in fact two colours I want to use on my current model are not available in the Humbrol range. Anybody use any other manufacturer's acrylics? Would be very interested in how they match up to the Humbrol range.
Robin

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
Re: Acrylic paint
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2009, 13:51:37 »
I also use a lot of humbrol enamel.

I think Humbrol still sells (modified) enamel paint
Humbrol Super Enamel Paints comply with the Toy Safety Regulations EN71 Parts3 and 5.
source :http://www.themodelcatalogue.com/off_home/Humbrol%20Enamel%20Paint%20Technical%20Data%20Sheet.pdf
Maybe they changed the formula?

I also use some other brand like Vallejo (water based ): http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/
The model air bottles you don't have to thin
The model color bottles you have to thin because they are to thick to airbrush.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2009, 17:11:27 »
this would be interesting for me too, as i was considering starting with Acrylics

i need more input on this topic !!

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2009, 18:58:36 »
I have used both Humbrol Enamels along side Tamiya and Games Workshop Acrylics without any problems.

The main rule of thumb is to experiment if the two types of paint are to be used where they may come in contact with each other. Prepare a test piece on a scrap of plastic card with the first paint and then when THOURGHLY dry over paint a section with the second paint, if there is to be a reaction it will generally happen in the first 5 minutes (wrinkling normally).

I find Acrylics can be thinned easily and can give better coverage with a thinner coat than Enamels some times. Accidental over spray can often be cleared away with a damp cloth.

Once dry acrylics are perfectly impervious to water.

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2009, 04:17:57 »
"Once dry acrylics are perfectly impervious to water."

I have always wondered about this.  I've always painted my models with Testor's enamels ( I am in the U.S. ) because I was so afraid that acrylics would just peel off in the water.

Thank you for the information,
Oliver

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2009, 09:46:06 »
My HMS Amazon was painted almost entirely in Acrylic and has been sailing for many years now with know ill affect to the paint

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2009, 10:51:17 »
I have similar concerns at this time.
I have used normal canned primer on the fibreglass hull but now want to overcoat with a light grey.
If I match the acylic Humbrol and the same in an enamel colour it would certainly help but I have read so many horror stories I have stopped the build and am waiting for the courage to start again!
Maybe the solution is just use the enamel and air brush? We do not seem to get the full range of the bigger Humbrol cans so heaven knows how many small cans I would use.
So my question is would there be any problems using the acrylic over the enamel base?
Kevin

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2009, 16:41:25 »
Like you I am concerned about reactions between acrylic and enamel. On current build I intend sticking to acrylic on Halford's grey and red primer. I did have had a bad experience on one model when I used Halfords red primer for hull then air-brushed Humbrol grey enamel for the top sides with no problem but when I sprayed a narrow waterline of Halfords matt black all hell broke loose - horrendous crinkles from the undersprayed enamel. I had to rub the whole lot down and repeat using Humbrol enamel matt black instead but strangely the water line never looked quite right as one could still detect some irregularities in the surface so since then I  have never mixed.
Robin

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2009, 00:40:47 »
Hi,

My use is slightly different, but I've successfully used Tamiya acrylics over enamel ( Krylon ).  These are for areas above the waterline.  However, I've never applied enamel over acrylic.  It's worth experimenting.

Have a good one!
Oliver

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2009, 07:38:50 »
I have painted acrylics over various primers before, to be on the safe side spray a test piece first, leave to dry and harden thoroughly and then over spray. I often prime hulls a minimum of a week before applying the top coat.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2009, 18:52:28 »
On my last boat I used thinned Ronseal polyrethane ultra tough satincoat clear varnish airbrushed over Humbrol enamel/Halfords red oxide primer which worked very well. I have no idea if this will be OK over acrylic paint. I could experiment but I wonder what others use? I did try using Vallejo acrylic varnish once but although it gave a marvellous finish I had to take it off as it reacted with the water when I sailed the boat (white powdery patches developed!).
Robin

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2009, 18:55:05 »
It has gone very quiet on the forum so thought I would post something. I really wanted to use acrylic on Z37 but I have abandoned this and gone back to Humbrol enamel - yes I know it smells pretty damn awful but I bought a good paint spray mask and now the smell is no problem. I found with Humbrol acrylic thinning with water is a disaster - if you shake the airbrush jar the paint foams and when you try and air brush the paint comes out through the jar vent hole - nasty! I then tried thinning with Tamaya acrylic thinners which solved the foaming problem but I then found that the paint dries so quickly on the air brush tip that the spraying starts to spatter. I could try using a lower compressor pressure say 15lb per square inch but that experiment will be for another day. My enamel airbrushing is coming along fine - Humbrol thinned with Humbrol enamel thinners using a Badger 300 air brush and about 25lb per square inch. I would be interested in hearing what you expert acrylic air brushes use in the way of air pressure.

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2009, 09:37:42 »
I have my compressor set at 25 psi so you shouldn't have a problem there. I use an Iwata revolution spray gun for precision spraying and that is gravity fed, but use my old Humbrol for larger spray jobs like hulls as it has a larger reservoir. Neither give me problems with acrylics, so I don't no why you are experiencing problems???

The acrylic may seem to dry quicker, but it is still possible to correct mistakes with a damp lint free cloth. One good part of using acylic paint I find is that it is possible to apply a slightly heavier coat when required without runs appearing, By allowing the first coat to dry for a couple of minutes and then oversparying.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2009, 16:50:38 »
I have my compressor set at 25 psi so you shouldn't have a problem there. I use an Iwata revolution spray gun for precision spraying and that is gravity fed, but use my old Humbrol for larger spray jobs like hulls as it has a larger reservoir. Neither give me problems with acrylics, so I don't no why you are experiencing problems???
A bit of a mystery Mark, by the way what acrylic paint  and thinning do you use?
Robin

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2009, 19:31:11 »
I use Tamiya or Games Workshop acrylics and their respective thinners.

Mark