Author Topic: My build of HMS Solebay.  (Read 211560 times)

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
Re: My build of HMS Solebay.
« Reply #60 on: 28 January 2013, 18:50:15 »
Looking great Paul- in terms of painting- when I built the tribal class kit, which is similar, I tried to keep all the levels separate until painted to give a cleaner line between the decks and the superstructures, and to make things easier to handle as you say. 

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: 03 February 2013, 11:50:16 »
Well have done some more work with the Bridge and put in a lot of detail.   I have to replace the small search lights as the are incomplete around the retaining brackets and when my big fingers tried to hold them the just broke in two.  Very weak I think; so will look for some think on line a bit stronger and also looking for two large bino for the same position to stand beside them search lights.   Any ideas gent?   I have to finish of the wind breaks at the front of the bridge and then I will need to put some clear glass to finish it off.  Will post photos soon when I get my camera on line.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2013, 08:08:33 by paul swainson »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: 03 February 2013, 11:53:10 »
Have made a start on the main mast.   Soldered the section together, a point to note the you must solder the small side section to the inside of the outer sections to ensure a good square.   Lots of filing off of the small holding taps and then some nice soft running solder to ensure a nice clean solder.  Again will post some photos.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2013, 11:17:43 by paul swainson »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: 03 February 2013, 11:57:11 »
I hope to arrange a visit to the Glasgow transport museum as they have a detailed model of HMS Finisterre.  Here I found a photo on the internet and as you can see there is quiet some detail just in this photo.   So hope to get some more and use to help add detail and under stand where parts fit.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: 03 February 2013, 13:54:52 »
And a couple more
« Last Edit: 04 February 2013, 11:22:29 by paul swainson »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: 04 February 2013, 11:24:42 »
the last one

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: 04 February 2013, 20:54:31 »
Well I have done about 80% of the rear gun deck.  Just some more detail to put on and some of the extra detail I have found.   I found the contruction on this very confusing to start with.   Cut out the sections then found they again did not match, location of the port hole for the stern section rear walls did not match up and  then the other end did not match the top deck.   The raisers were placed in the same way as the bridge structure.  The built section placed on the deck and marked round the outs and then using a ruler marked out the position of the raisers.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: 09 February 2013, 19:40:32 »
Hi can any one help with this please.  What is a PV Frame?  I can not see it in the build instructions and I am at a loss as to what it is, were it goes. :-\

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #68 on: 09 February 2013, 19:46:13 »
Have done most of the next gun deck, still to bond the engine vents and the walkway.   The radio mast and the doors.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: 09 February 2013, 19:51:04 »
I found this picture of a build done back in 2006 and this is photo etch walk ways supplied with the deans kit are they still around or does some one know were I can find them?

I have found them on the etra sheet of brass etch for model accessories.  Will see if the fit.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2013, 13:08:44 by paul swainson »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #70 on: 09 February 2013, 20:32:37 »
Here are five different builds of the rear deck gun crew cabin.  Some show the cabin open as a form of lean too; some show the cabin fully closed.   The 2nd photos is in the Deans Marine CD with photos of the completed model, others are Joe and mine.  The other is of another build that I found.   The kit came with only three sides and there is no overhang for the cabin.   So what would be correct?
« Last Edit: 09 February 2013, 20:38:01 by paul swainson »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: 10 February 2013, 07:44:03 »
Hi Paul,  The pv frame goes right on the stern over the centre dc shute note it has a fairlead on top, it was for towing the parvaine,and towing in general, It is shown clearly in the last few of my photos with the ensign staff along side it. as for the aft gun deck shelter as you have seen from my pics I closed the front in I figured it would not be much of a shelter if it were open.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2013, 11:18:14 by radio joe »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #72 on: 10 February 2013, 12:27:02 »
Thanks for that Joe,  as it is part of the depth charge system its not in the plans.  I have purchased the extra photo etch  plate for destroyers and there is a more detail build in Brass.   there are lots of other items on it which as an Army man know very little about.   If I email you a PDF file of the items on this sheet could you help in showing me where a lot of them go before I use all the items from the kit and then have to remove them.  Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: 10 February 2013, 12:29:27 »
Hi Paul,  Glad to help if I can. I don't think the pv frame is part of the dc system it,s just built over one of the shutes I think it's just to keep the towing hauser in place hence the fairlead and the bollard on the deck forwrd of it.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2013, 12:34:14 by radio joe »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: 10 February 2013, 12:32:53 »
Will scan the info sheet and and email it to you thanks.