Author Topic: Returning to building  (Read 6664 times)

Offline mikearace

• Captain
Returning to building
« on: 13 November 2018, 15:07:39 »
Up until 4 years ago I was an avid builder of RC boats/ships mainly Dean's offerings with the odd scratch build or semi kit.  Due to changing personal circumstances I had to stop - caring for a parent and an in law who lived 300 mile away and other difficult family things left no time.  I cleared out a lot of my 12-14 boats although I kept 4 but they haven't been used for 4 years.  Now however I have the urge to sail and build again so seems logical to start with a Dean's.  I am buying a Algerine to build as HMS Mariner a ship my father served on in the mid fifties.  No doubt my once limited skills are even more limited due to time so I will be using the forum to refresh my building knowledge but it will be a slow build no doubt but will be good to be back!!

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
Re: Returning to building
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2018, 17:56:05 »
Hi Mike
 Welcome back. we have missed you and your excellent work. nice to have you back in the fold
 Regards
 Deans Marine

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2018, 18:08:30 »
Thanks for remembering me Ron.  Not sure your memory is right about 'excellent work'.  More like passable but industrious!!

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2018, 09:43:49 »
Your are or were in a simular boat as my self...
Hopefully, with a bit of luck my new workshop will be up and running by next year
I have a few projects started on, that need finishing..
Plus a few kits to review and do a build log on Houtepen, Made of Crete, and HMS Mimi

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2018, 07:00:13 »
Hi Mike, hi Colin,

I will follow your builds with great interest. I am not posting on the forum as I am building from scratch at the moment..... You will have a quite huge workshop then, Colin! Plenty of room for future projects :) ^^^ :)

Kind regards

Arno

Offline andy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2018, 06:30:04 »
I too am just getting back into the hobby.  Will be building HMS Oshawa as my first model.  An Algerine class minesweeper based on a hull I purchased years ago from Deans along with a few other hulls and kits over the years.  I plan on making good use of a 3-d printer for this project.

Andy

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2018, 20:17:07 »
Will watch with interest your 3d printing

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2018, 23:12:59 »
Well come back Mile, I will read with interest.  Like you have had a rest as I felt it was taking over. 

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2018, 18:46:55 »
Have caught up with your lusty build.  Certainly the long job, but cracking one.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2018, 12:20:49 »
Well my Algerine arrived yesterday and had an enjoyable day going through the plans, fittings, instructions and generally getting my head round the building process after so long away.  Lot of cobwebs to blow away, felt like a total beginner again.  Tool inventory done and realised I had a few things in that department to replenish like solder iron tips etc but soon be ready to start.  Couple of minor queries on the parts that soon resolved with a quick call email to the ever helpful team at Dean's.  Won't do s full blog as it's hard to beat Joe's blog but will post one or two progress pics.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2018, 12:47:54 »
Well a few things might have changed in the world of model boats since I last built anything 4 years ago but one thing hasn't changed, the Dean's personal service.  My call about a couple of missing but minor bits was only made yesterday and they've arrived already.  24 hours is all it took to get them to me.  Now that's service.  Appreciate it.