Author Topic: MV Muirneag  (Read 10797 times)

Offline benji

• Able Seaman
MV Muirneag
« on: 12 January 2016, 22:32:52 »
Hi Guys,
I am just starting my build of Muirneag which is my first after a break of 20 years, so i am a little rusty!! I will get some photos up of how I am getting on over the course of the build. There is one question I would like to ask you guys and that is my hull has damage to the gel coat and I would like to know what you suggest to repair this? I have attached a photo of the damage which must have been caused in transit.

Ben

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: MV Muirneag
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2016, 08:12:54 »
may i suggest that you remove the flaked of or broken gel coat parts...
then fill the area with ether, either, or...  epoxy resin, normal car body filler, P38   ^^^

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2016, 11:01:28 »
Additionally I would laminate several layers of glass fibre with epoxy from the inside of the hull :)

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2016, 19:25:21 »
I would not be very happy if a hull I had ordered arrived in that condition. Yes it can be repaired but why did Deans Marine's Quality Control not pick that fault out and reject it? Just a thought.
Robin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2016, 20:04:55 »
If that was done in transit the box must have been severely damaged, I'd be onto the carrier. :'(

Offline benji

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2016, 20:12:36 »
Thanks for the advise chaps. I will say in the past the hulls I have bought before mainly (fleetscale) have never arrived with virtually a hole in the hull, but I have noticed it's a very thin and flimsy hull compared to previous ones. I bought the boat through model dockyard and I can't really be bothered to send it back for a replacement as I want to get on with the build, so I will repair it.
Robin is right this should have been picked up at Deans by quality control as I first thought this was done in transit, but the box it arrived in was perfect. Anyway never mind these things happen and I'm going to enjoy this build!
Ben

Offline benji

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2016, 23:30:08 »
Here are some pictures of my progress. The hole is fixed! She is on a stand and I have rubbed down smooth the join line on the bottom of the hull and all other lumps and bump over the hull. I have also put the holes in the hull for the bow thruster and prop shaft and I am working on all the other openings.

I don't like the idea of using the 6 volt battery for the kondor motor and then the 7.2 for the bow thruster. What do you reckon to just using a 6 volt SLA 4 ah to power both?

Ben
« Last Edit: 25 January 2016, 23:38:13 by benji »

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2016, 02:04:04 »
Hey Ben, I did this build a few years ago. http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=409.0 I used a power distributor for everything. It all ran off a single 12 volt. The model will run for at least 6 hours if not longer. Hope this helps.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2016, 05:28:29 »
I would be inclined to run every thing of 12volts.. and put a speed controller on the bow thruster..!  :)

but to answer your question... yes you can run every thing of 6 volts  ^^^
the bow thruster would run a little slower, but nothing to be concerned about.. :-[

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2016, 07:12:51 »
I run my Muirneag at 12 volts for the motor and at 7.2 volts for the bow thruster. Carrying two batteries is no problem for the Muirneag. My 7.2 Nimh battery also serves as ballast as for the motor I use a 3s lipo battery. Many possibilities as you see ::DD

Offline benji

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2016, 13:35:42 »
Thanks for the reply's guys!!

I am a Mechanical Engineer and electronics are not something I have any great understanding of. Its like a magic trick to me! ::DD ::DD
Ok you have changed my mind!  :D I am going to go for 12 volts! Dennis, that harbour models box of tricks looks brilliant, but they are out of stock, otherwise I would get one. :(   

Action electronics do distribution boards, but without the ability of the volt changes. So how about two ESC, one on the main motor and one on the bow thruster. Action electronics P102 and a 12 volt 6 ah SLA battery. Colin do you think it is ok to run the raboesch bow thruster at 12 volts? 

Ben

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2016, 15:05:34 »
Hi Benji
 Do NOT run the bow thruster on 12 volts it will destroy itself very quickly, 6 v  is best
7.2 at the max. says so in the instructions
 run it to fast and the water can not flow through the nozzles fast enough, so the prop will be spinning in no water, and its water lubricated,
 if in doubt follow the instructions
 Regards
 deans marine

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2016, 16:58:12 »
I have a raboesch bow thruster in my lis terkol and run every thing of 2 x 12 volts SLA's conceded in parrelel so I have 12volt 5ah , with that I can run the boat all weekend...
I have two ESC's one for the main motor, this one provides the BEC to the RX, and the other one is for the bow thruster, red cable removed... it also has a veritable resistor so I can turn the voltage down that is let through to the motor, most modern ESC's do not have this option any more, but... during the set up process you can teach them not to give full power... let's say 70% from 12 volts should be OK  ^^^
Hope this is understandable  ;D  :D

Offline benji

• Able Seaman
« Reply #13 on: 29 August 2016, 20:49:01 »
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would update you as to where I am. I haven't got as far as I would have liked what with being busy at work and I still haven't done the water test yet, but I should be ready for that in the next few weeks. I decided on making a start on the superstructure and funnels, bonded in the shaft and bow thruster. I just need to finish off cutting out the openings in the hull, but I needed a break from this as it was making me itchy! One thing I have noticed and I am not sure if its just me, but are the printings on the styrene sheet for somethings quite a way out!? I noticed on the main car deck that pieces 2 and 3 seem to be 5 mm to wide and you can really see it on when you put piece 1 and 2 next to each other. I think I would prefer better plans of the ship and some good images and no instructions or printings on the styrene.

Ben