Author Topic: MV Muirneag  (Read 71853 times)

Offline simon2302

• Lt-Commander
Re: MV Muirneag
« Reply #105 on: 18 July 2013, 14:50:37 »
Where did u get the little speed controller for the radars from

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: 18 July 2013, 20:53:36 »
I got those off of ebay for about 8 U.S. dollars. They came from Japan. There are a lot of different types, so be sure to check the voltage that they carry when purchasing it. Also when wiring them up make sure you have the wires in the wright place. Pos wire to pos side and neg to the neg side, I burn one up not paying attention.

Offline simon2302

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #107 on: 30 August 2013, 20:30:37 »
hi dennis, how did you wire the radar motors in series or parallel and what voltage battery did you use? i have a similar speed board and the same motors but i cant get them to slow down enough. cheers simon

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: 31 August 2013, 12:50:42 »
Hey Simon, I wired the motors parallel to one another. I had to use 9 volts for the speed board, it was the lowest voltage that the board would run on. Also on some of these speed boards they work off of percentage. Say your motor turns at 10,000 rpm on full load and the speed board runs at 5% or greater at 12 volts, it will not allow you to slow down the motor enough. I ran into this problem in the beginning. I found some micro motors, perfect size for this scale but the rpm for this motor was so high that it wound not work with my board. I will try to find some pics of the wiring for you. Also because I wired them in parallel one turns slightly faster than the other. Hope this helps.

Offline simon2302

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #109 on: 31 August 2013, 13:20:44 »
Hi dennis, my board runs on 6v and i have the same 25:1 geared motors but the spin too fast

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: 31 August 2013, 21:44:07 »
My guess is that it might be getting a constant 6 volts. Try running your board at a lower voltage, say 3 volts instead of 6. That may make the difference. The board I use is rated for 12volts and at 12 volts the motors ran to fast. By reducing the voltage to the board to 9 volts aloud me to slow the motors down to where they look realistic.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: 28 October 2015, 22:00:08 »
Hey everyone, finally got around to posting a short video of the muirneag night sailing at a pool. Here is the link on youtube https://youtu.be/p6Brdrw5PKU. Its a short video but it shows her with all the lights running plus twin working radars..

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: 29 October 2015, 15:22:30 »
A very impressive video ::DD She moves very realistic. Where is that pool and how did you make the pier with lights?

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: 29 October 2015, 19:10:51 »
She looks stunning Dennis, not surprising having seen the work you put into her,  :). Great video too. Although looking at the last docking I think the captain had been on the falling down liquid. ;D ;D ;D ^^^ ^^^
Joe.
« Last Edit: 29 October 2015, 19:14:18 by radio joe »

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 30 October 2015, 00:33:00 »
Yea Joe I think your right  the captain had a few drinks for sure... ;D ;D ;D As for the pier Arno I made it out of some foam and ply. The lights are leds with the wires recess into the foam. I hide the battery and switch using a shipping container. I epoxy the foam to keep water from penetrating into it. After painting it grey I add small pieces of rubber for the bumpers.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 30 October 2015, 06:58:35 »
Great idea, Dennis! Thanks for sharing it ^^^ Arno