Author Topic: HMS Zulu build  (Read 322959 times)

Offline Tanzy

• Warrant Officer
Re: HMS Zulu build
« Reply #105 on: 15 December 2013, 16:46:41 »
As I recall the nets lowered. . Is the net material in the kit Joe? It's looks great

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: 15 December 2013, 17:10:41 »
Yes they lowered when flying operations took place.  The lowered at just below level to the flight deck similar to how you have done it Joe and the roof although its a one piece vac form in the kit, in life it was in about 4 or 5 sections that were usually placed just to the starboard of the flight deck forward of it about where the walk way around the Limbo well is.  I have a photo of the nets lowered and the roof sections moved off.   If I can dig it out I could try and scan it if that's any help Joe?  Im sure its in my fathers Mohawk commissioning book.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2013, 17:33:31 by mikearace »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: 15 December 2013, 18:11:15 »
Hi, Tanzy,  No the netting is not in the kit, I asked the wife and she came up with it, the rest is .8mm brass rod,
Hi, Mike ,  thanks for the info and yes any photos are a great help thanks, as for the vacuform lift cover I thought I would cut it in sections and see what it looks like, I've got a nice photo of HMS Mohawk under way that you can just make out the cover sections stowed stbrd of the mortar station.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2013, 18:20:48 by radio joe »

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: 15 December 2013, 18:34:13 »
I have one of Ashanti too that shows the sections in the same stowage place and also shows the outline of the actual lift section of the flight deck.  Will try to scan tomorrow for you.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 16 December 2013, 03:05:54 »
Hey Joe, looks like your build is coming together nicely. Like all the extra details your adding to it. ^^^

Offline Tanzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #110 on: 16 December 2013, 14:06:15 »
Hi Joe, Pictures for info showing the flight deck netting, helos on lift with covers at the side and a 1/72 model with a very nice looking helo

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: 16 December 2013, 14:38:29 »
Thanks for the pics Tanzy, you can't have too much information, interestingly the steps up to the flight deck from the mortar station is in the same position as I have put the opening in the netting and plan to put some steps, more by luck that judgement I might add.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: 17 December 2013, 19:55:09 »
Well managed to scan my pics of Ashanti and Mohawk at work but they would only scan as PDFs which I cant get onto here.  If you want me to mail them Joe let me know.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: 17 December 2013, 22:51:11 »
Hi Mike, please do e-mail them, you can always pick different things out of photos thanks.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #114 on: 18 December 2013, 00:28:46 »
Have now caught up with your build Joe, and boy she looks very nice indeed and she does not have cloths on yet (paint).   She will look great when you finisher her.   I love the detail you have used and the moulding kit you have seems very useful.  Keep up the good work.   I did nets for my Helli pad in my stealth frigate.   Used netting and then stitched them in squares to the frames and then secured the frames with U bends made from very thin copper rod.   When I return will post pictures on My dock yard or my flicker site ^^^

Paul

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #115 on: 18 December 2013, 05:39:01 »
Well managed to scan my pics of Ashanti and Mohawk at work but they would only scan as PDFs which I cant get onto here.  If you want me to mail them Joe let me know.

PDF's are allowed to be uploaded...!! they might have been larger than 100KB, i can convert the PDF's to JPG if you would like..!!

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #116 on: 18 December 2013, 20:38:35 »
email sent Joe

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: 19 December 2013, 09:29:15 »
Hi Mike,  Thanks for the photos, the one of Mohawk is the one that I have but yours is a lot clearer and shows more detail, Joe.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: 19 December 2013, 11:31:12 »
As I said in previous builds soldering brass assembles is not my strong point, so I thought I would tackle it now and after a few choice words I got the basic mast and "bedstead" done, and assembled them on the deck, now to get it tuning, then I thought why not make the long range and the short range radars turn, I had already glued the short range in place so I had to do a bit of bashing, the short range is coupled direct to the geared motor and runs at about 28 RPM, and the long range is driven by the shaft against a wheel with a rubber "tyre" and runs at 14 RPM, I wanted to have them switchable from the TX and did not have enough room under the bridge module for the batteries, servo and mini switch, then it dawned on me I had plenty of depth in side the hull so my solution was to suspend a panel from the bottom of the bridge module and use both sides of it, I could of build the switch gear in side the hull but there is not much room through the access hatch and I have got two servo morphs for the turrets to go in there yet, also it is a lot easier to change the batteries.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #119 on: 27 December 2013, 15:11:10 »
Hi all, I've not done much to Zulu over Christmas but I have fitted the two Action servo morphs I got from "Santa", a bit of a fiddle but worked it out finally, using a servo horn as a pointer on each turret servo I got 80 degrees each side of the centre line which I think is reasonable for a deck gun and down to a nice slow smooth speed that looks realistic, never used servo morphs before but I'll certainly use them again.