Author Topic: HMS Zulu build  (Read 324171 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Zulu build
« Reply #135 on: 15 January 2014, 14:36:34 »
OK got the spraying done today, Not too cold in the garage and no wind, I open the side door and partly open the main door to get an air flow so I did'nt want it windly, and this time I remembered to cover the wifes bike up so I did'nt get another ear bashing LOL.
all parts back in the warm now and I'll leave them for a couple of days to harden off.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: 15 January 2014, 17:26:01 »
the Winter still has a few months to go...  ;D

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 16 January 2014, 06:48:04 »
But not if you are in that stage of the build ::DD I know how Joe feels. I hope to get nice weather at the weekend to spray the satin varnish. Joe, your job looks extremely neat to me - very well done.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #138 on: 16 January 2014, 08:42:33 »
Nice work Joe, she has been a pleasure to watch your work, with lots of ideas for me.   Keep up the good work.  Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #139 on: 16 January 2014, 17:30:53 »
Thanks for your comments chaps ^^^ I plan to finish Zulu around March time, that makes it about a 5 month build, which seems to be what I take on Deans 4 footers, this is the size I like best they are a good size and have a presence on the lake even at a distance, no doubt my next build will be the same size, I think I can squeeze one more on the shelves, any more and my railway will have to go. :(

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #140 on: 16 January 2014, 23:05:37 »
Looks really sharp Joe!

Could you get more 4ft shelves??  :smiley1:

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #141 on: 17 January 2014, 15:41:13 »
I could just about get one more shelf in James, My workshop/dockyard is a double dormer roof conversion quite a large room but surprisingly little wall space, the two end walls are taken up with large windows,another wall has cupboards built in concelling the chimneys and the other wall has the entrance door and the tank cupboard, and my railway runs around three walls and actually though one of the built in cupboards, but if it came down to making a choice my warships would win, I had considered a free standing shelf unit, but for now with a bit of juggling I could get another two ships in, then we'll see.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2014, 17:08:25 by radio joe »

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #142 on: 20 January 2014, 14:51:40 »
Hi Joe .
         Looks a nice job you are doing , I look forward to seeing her at the SWA shows .
         I have shelved my decision to build HMS Skirmisher for now , having discovered the Merit 1/200 scale USS Hornet , always wanted to build a carrier , nice size too at just over 48" long , it is sold as a static kit so I am busy sorting out the R/C fit at the moment , four motors ,two speed controllers , using the Deans USS Missouri motorising kit and doing mods as required , different props as well (supplied by Deans) , hope to have hull ready to test run later in the week then have to sort our access via the hanger deck .then I can start the build proper , 32 x 20mm oerlikon guns  to make in etched brass should be fun!!
         I know what you mean about space problems I now have 24 models stored in my workshop on shelves etc 4 are nearly 6 foot long so  I am now having to work in conservatory ( but it is warmer in the winter)  . Had to sell a couple of non warship models to make some space trouble is I don't want to sell any of ones I have left .
         Are you going to exhibit on  SWA stand at Yeovil FAA Museum next month ?
         Remember to e mail me with your address so I can send you the 1/96 helo blades you need ?

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #143 on: 20 January 2014, 18:43:10 »
Hi David, look forward to following your build of USS Hornet, (lost at Midway along with USS Yorktown if memory serves) 1:200 and still 4 foot long, she must have been around 700 feet, With all the conversions it should be an interesting build, I do admire you for taking on all those 1:200 scale fittings, 1:96 fittings are about the limit for my sausage fingers, not sure about Yeovil yet, I'll e-mail my address and thanks again for the offer of the blades. Joe.

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #144 on: 20 January 2014, 21:49:40 »
She was sunk at Santa Cruz and only a year and six days since she was commissioned . She was 809 feet long . She was heavily involved in holding back the Japs and also carried the Doolittle raid . The brass fittings should be easier than the ones on my Invincible at 1/350 scale they were frustrating to say the least !!!

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #145 on: 22 January 2014, 13:21:00 »
Hornet in 1/200 scale.. Nice and manageable.. A friend did the lex in 1/96 scale in bread n butter construction.    It looked very cool out on the water but was a chore to move around
   Tom

Offline andy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #146 on: 22 January 2014, 14:20:08 »
You are doing a really great job with this build Joe.  I hope to sand down my type 81 this weekend and get started with her rebuild.

Andy

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #147 on: 22 January 2014, 17:21:37 »
Thanks Andy, that's got to be a tricky job, are you attempting to remove most of the fittings before sanding and repainting, would be good to see your progress, hope all goes well. Joe.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #148 on: 23 January 2014, 17:03:13 »
Thanks for the heli rotors David, got them today, I'll certainty use them if I can find a wasp fuselage, Sirmar has got a resin one in 1:96 but I'm a bit reluctant to order from him as you don't know when or if you might get it, so I will keep looking.

Did some more painting today, so far the hull bottom two coats and the topsides have two coats, letting it thoroughly dry before applying the masking tape to do the boot topping.

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #149 on: 23 January 2014, 17:52:33 »
No problem Joe glad they arrived in one piece , I don't know if Fleetscale do a 1/96 Wasp . might be worth asking ?