Author Topic: E.S.F. Surveyor build  (Read 36939 times)

Offline cabinboy

• Petty Officer
Re: E.S.F. Surveyor build
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2014, 22:53:17 »
Hi I am pleased that you had a reply from RON , I spoke to him on Thursday 24/04 . He told me that he had the pics. And would sort them out , and contact you. When i built the model for myself , I had  the anchor/booms / all working, but i did not fit a bow thruster.I did not think it required one.  This was about 15 years ago.  Good luck with your build . I will follow it with interest . 

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2014, 07:03:57 »
The pics arrived yesterday. Thanks a lot to cabinboy and Ron. The closeups will certainly be useful for the build. Regarding the amount of photos I will be scanning instead of modelling for quite a long time ;D ;D ;D. The original had the Effer crane which I bought at the Intermodellbau (it's in the Deans range). I did not know that before so that was a first interesting result. Maybe I will try to make the crane moveable.

Kind regards - Arno

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2014, 07:20:21 »
I have finished the skegs and made a trial fit. Sanding the endings was quite fiddly as there is only very little space. It took me hours until I was satisfied. Yesterday a lot of rain outside and some good rock music made things much easier  ;D

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2014, 06:01:20 »
you don't look the rock music type of person Arno...  :D :D  :grin1:  :grin1:  :-[ 

very nice and tidy as always  ^^^  ^^^

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2014, 07:01:12 »
But I am! Last week I went to a concert by Steve Hackett at Bochum (Genesis Revisited II). It was a great show. Sanding in my cellar listening to that music makes me feel lucky :)

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2014, 19:27:06 »
I fitted the motor mount today. At the ends and in the middle I used glassfibre-mat and laminated it with epoxy. The wood was sealed with epoxy. The motor couplings are made by Raboesch but I removed the flexible part and fixed rubber tube instead as I already did on my Dufresne and Muirneag build. A test run with installed motors was successful: the couplings are much more quiet than before.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2014, 20:55:29 »
Very neat job Arno, the shafts look short ,you tend to forget the bit in the skeg, they look like Raboesch water proof shafts, I use them a lot, expensive but worth it,  ^^^. Joe.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2014, 07:52:38 »
Yes Joe, you are right. The shafts are the water proof ones by Raboesch. I used them on all of my Deans ships and never had any problem so far.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2014, 14:10:37 »
Nice quality build there Arno, Like the nice clean looking interior, make the inside as good as the outside and there is quality and thought.  Paul  ^^^ ^^^

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 18 June 2014, 07:10:20 »
I have bonded the decks and am lucky with the result. As it is a kit with laser cut parts I decided to finish that section before building the superstructure (usually I did not take that risk). The hatches werde pre-cut and fit perfectly - an advantage of the new laser technique.

The construction is asymmetric (thanks again to cabinboy and Ron for the pics of the real ship): deck is wide on starboard and narrow on portside, while the rear parts of the cabin are just different the other way round.

The superstructure will need only little sanding to give a snug fit to the deck ^^^

Offline cabinboy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #25 on: 18 June 2014, 11:53:32 »
hi swiftdoc build looking good, When i built my model ,I had ship yard drawings. During the build i thorught i had made an error . I thougth i had got the wheel house off set , until i checked the drawings . I now have a full head of grey hair . All the best cabinboy 

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: 18 June 2014, 22:30:07 »
Nice Arno, she looks like she'll be a good sea keeper with that big hull, I've just acquired a 1:48 Envoy class war tug part started kit and will have to really start it again and renew some parts, but what a big hull.  :). Joe

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 22 June 2014, 18:42:00 »
I have finished the build of the wheelhouse and added some details to the bulwarks. At some areas of the deck the vertical parts of the bulwarks are linked by a horizontal bar. I have not glued those parts yet and will fix them after the paint job has been done. I will make them from 0.5 mm plastic scrap (a leftover from the Grampian Pride build).

Next step will be the construction of the roof.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 22 June 2014, 20:46:44 »
Coming along lovely Arno.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 23 June 2014, 02:29:39 »
Hey Arno, very neat build as always. ^^^ Was wondering how much of the kit is laser cut? Are the windows laser cut as well?