Author Topic: Robert E Peary  (Read 9861 times)

arrowhead

Robert E Peary
« on: 27 June 2010, 22:06:39 »
I have just received my RE Peary kit.

Have read the instructions several times and am starting construction.

Some observations:

1.  Not sure I like all the uncut plastic for the decks and superstructure, but I guess it will work out OK.  I'm used to working with wood.

2.  Plastic deck - not sure how well it will hold up under the Nevada sun.  I am thinking of backing it with 1/8 inch plywood.  Any thoughts from those of you that have built Deans kits?

3.  It looks like to me that there should be more bulkheads for hull strength.  Maybe they should be made out of plywood also and at least back the  provided ones with ply.

4.  Looks like a super kit that will produce an excellent model.  

5.  I think I would have liked the instructions to provide some more information for the installation of all the many details provided with the kit.

6.  With a kit in this price range I would have liked to see the proper brass propeller provided.

For sure this is not a beginners kit, but I do think it is a GREAT kit.

I'm looking forward to building this model.  I plan to add sound and smoke to add some fun.

I have been building models for over 50 years and I think this will be the crowning project for me.

I sure look forward to getting advice from you all in this project.

;)
« Last Edit: 07 July 2010, 17:40:48 by colin »

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
Re: Robert E Peary Build
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2010, 05:51:33 »
If you look on my HMS Javalin thread i have replaced all my bulkheads and added more with fibreglass sheet i bought from McMaster Carr and is cheap, also i have replaced the main deck with thin polycarbonate (lexan) sheet, will hold up to the sun out here in the west better.
yes they are nice kits. the printed plastic was an advantage for me because if i screwed somthing up i could just trace it out on some scrap and do it over again.  when i took my
in progress to the regatta here in Denver some of the guys liked the hull plating and asked
how long it took to do? i told then it was part of the kit :o
     Tom

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2010, 17:14:59 »
Hello arrowhead,

referring to your point 1, 3, 5 and 6 "this is not a complaints forum"  :police: i was debating to delete the comments or moderate them... but..  :police:

if you have any problems with the Kit i suggest you contact the manufactures on the above phone number, or there email address: contact(at)deansmarine.co.uk

Not sure I like all the uncut plastic. I'm used to working with wood.
does one not have cut wood ???

I would have liked to see the brass propeller provided.
the propeller provided will work, but as any modeler knows, we allways change things on a Kit, that's what their there for, i for one always kit bash so to speak.
these kits are provided with all the parts required to make the model, any alterations is left up to the modeler.

I for one do not have the time to scratch build, although some parts on the models that i build could probably  be classed as scratch built.

looking forward to your progress

arrowhead

« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2010, 18:32:54 »
Hi,

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was making any complaints.

I was just making some observations.

I have had over 50 years of model building experience and just thought my observations might be of interest to my fellow modelers.

I thought this forum was a part of Deans Marine.

Sorry again.

I think it is a great kt and will enjoy building it.

Later

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2010, 19:02:52 »
this forum is on the Deans Marines web space, and for modelers that build Deans kits or Mouldeans semi kits.

Mr Dean has Administrator rights, but this forum is not run by Deans Marine.

its run by the modelers that like to build Deans products.

arrowhead

« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2010, 19:11:48 »
Thanks much.

I just read the heading to this topic and it states:

"Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this Forum. "

I sure didn't mean to offend anyone and don't think that I did.

Your initial response is a little upsetting to me after I posted what I thought were some valid ,and informative, observations about a kit and not deserving of any consideration for deletion because they were thought of as "complaints".

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2010, 19:41:11 »
yes the heading says Talk, being the operative word, not complain about the uncut plastic, and such forth

do i need to go through all the points..!!

1.  Not sure I like all the uncut plastic
what do you expect in a kit..?? if you look in the online shop there are some kits that have photo's of the kit contents.

2.  Plastic deck - not sure how well it will hold up under the Nevada sun.

i would say it probably would not hold up to the Nevada sun, but i don't think theres any need to mention it, just do what you want to do...

3.  It looks like to me that there should be more bulkheads for hull strength.

i allways put lots of bulkhead in the hull, but there is no need for them..

4.  Looks like a super kit that will produce an excellent model. 

no comment, that would be for each and every modelbuilder to decide for them self's, and there ability to build a model.

5.  I think I would have liked the instructions to provide some more information for the installation of all the many details provided with the kit.
if you ask in the workshops (phone or mail) there is probably hundreds of photo's you could ask for.. and as most instruction somewere near the front there will be a sentence that says something along those lines.

6.  With a kit in this price range I would have liked to see the proper brass propeller provided.
i could complain about every kit that i have built weather from Graupner, Robbe, Mountfleet, Modelslipway, Billings, Caldercraft, and so on.
a kit is a kit, and somewere there are always compromises to keep the price down.

i think that is enough said on the subject, we are all modelers in are own rights, we all have our ideas, but someone has to be the Boss to keep the forum clean...

Forum Rules, paragraph 1..

arrowhead

« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2010, 19:51:07 »
Whatever you say.

I would be curious to see what some of the other members of this forum think about this discussion.

Why don't you get it...... I was not complaining about anything.

Can't you take some valid observations that just might lead to improvements in the project?

I am making this forum "unclean" that the "boss" has to make it clean?

I guess this might not be a proper forum for me.

DReedeci

« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2010, 00:46:04 »
I am still trying to make a decision on building a Dean's kit so I appreciate all points of view especially those of you that have been building them already. This will be my first and also the first time I bought something this complex and expensive "sight unseen"

Thanks, Dave (Potential USS Kidd builder)

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2010, 08:37:38 »
Dave there is a good shot of a D.M. kit layed out on model boat mayhem threads cant remember were though.  if your on the fence i bought the HMS Javalin a several years ago
and after getting into the build i ordered the HMS Amethyst for my next project.  i will be making the HMS Starling out of it.
   Tom

www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21651.0

here is a link to some pics of the HMS Amethyst kit layed out
« Last Edit: 29 June 2010, 08:56:59 by Tommydean »

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2010, 18:20:43 »
Dear Modellers
 We appreciate any input from all forums or from customers, and we will try to answer some of them we seldom comment on what is said, but after many request we feel that we should
 Brass props,?
 the kit prop is a replica of the one on the full size ship (see the picture in the instructions)
It will not work very well at all with a motor attached.
 if you wish to motorise the model, we suggets that you fit a  brass props, (it says so in the instructions) and contact us for advice, (also in the instructions)
 you can fit 4 differnt motors, and gearboxes in a peary at 2 different voltages, that gives a choice of 14 differnet props you can use, at ?20-30 each,
 as we do not know what you are going to power the model with, how can we put a brass prop to suit the motor in the kit., then the scale modell would complain that the prop is not correct,
if we put all the props in it would double the price of the kit, ??  put the wrong prop on and you have a blown speed controller, or a fire.
 As to the deck, there was an article in one of the model boat magazine recently from an Australian modeller, same problem, it very hot, he replaced the deck with wood,, it dried out and split in the sun as well, he wanted us to advise on a minimum speed of 15 knots,????  why a Crocodile can do 12 ??
 the placement of fittings, that is why we give you a full size plen,?
 if you want more bulkheads, fit them, our three display models are  20 year old, and well used, no bulkheads, but if you feel the need, please do so.
 It is most definatly NOT a begginers kti.
 Please enjoy your kit, when it turns out a well admired model, you take all the credit, not us.
If you need help or advise, ask us, that is why we have a technical section.
 if you wih to add a build thread to the forum I am sure that it will be well followed as the Liberty ships kits are continual best sellers in the range.
 Please do not be offended by other modelers comments, some are great fans of our kits and can be very protective, but they will move heaven and earth to help other modellers, such is the hobby.
 Regards
 Deans Marine team

arrowhead

« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2010, 22:20:21 »
Thanks to rondean.

I only even thought of the deck problem because I read about sun problems from the Australian modeler.

If you have had models that are 20 years old and have stood up then I will go with your kit supplied materials and plans.

Thanks again for your reply

^^^

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2010, 07:35:26 »
This one is also around 20 years old and still sails perfect.
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78.msg163#msg163

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2010, 18:44:53 »
Interesting that Rondean states that the kit propellor is not intended for a working model. Does that same comment apply to HMS Kelly? For HMS Kelly I fettled and polished the kit white metal props and I find that they work very well with the motors recommended by DM.
Robin :)

arrowhead

Re: Robert E Peary
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2010, 15:18:47 »
I have been on vacation and have not got a lot done on my Liberty Ship model.

I was in Baltimore and got to visit the Brown.  It is one of only 2 left in operation.

If you ever get to Baltimore you should take a tour.

They are an all volunteer operation and they work on Wednesdays and Fridays so you can tour on those days.

If I still lived in that area I sure would become a volunteer.

Check out this Web site: 

http://www.liberty-ship.com/

Bill