Author Topic: Rudder installation!  (Read 6470 times)

Andrée

Rudder installation!
« on: 14 August 2009, 17:17:15 »
Hi there!

I have just bought the Trein Maersk, received a few days ago. I will plan the building-process carefully before I'm starting to build. I have looked trough the drawings and the instruction-book, to get an idea of how I will proceed. The only thing that I have seen as a problem at this stage, is the installation of the rudder. There is a lot of information about how to install the propeller-tube, but nothing about this problem. I wonder if someone has any experience to share in this topic, pictures would be great. How do you do to prevent waterintrusion in your models?

Best Regards
Andrée falkenberg
Sweden 

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Rudder installation!
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2009, 17:29:41 »
the length of the Rudder tube should be above the Waterline... that way no water will be able to get into the Model.

the Rudder tube should be 3mm inside, with the Rudder its self having a 3 mm shaft, there no room for water to pass through...

hope this might have helped..

PS. the photo's attached are not of the Trein Maersk but the principle is the same in all Models..

Andrée

« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2009, 17:52:55 »
Hi Colin!

Thanks for your fast reply, and for your help last time.
I have never worked in this way before, that''s the reason to my bad knowledge in this topic. If I have understand you correctly, you make a hole in the hull where the rudder-shaft shall be installed. Then you take the tube and put it on the shaft, make a glueing to the hull and let it dry. This seems to be an easy way to do it, and I think it is a secure way as well. With this there is another question coming up. How do you keep the rudder into place so that it can't move up and down? Do you place the steering-arm just above the tube?

/Andrée 

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2009, 17:58:01 »
yes Andrée, that would be the way to do it..

the rudder tube is glued into a hole in the Hull, on the inside of the Hull you can then reinforce with Car Body filler or something like that..

the rudder is held in the rudder tube with the steering arm, as can be seen in the previous photo's

the photo's shows the Rudder making and installation in my Furie..
« Last Edit: 14 August 2009, 17:58:33 by colin »

Andrée

« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2009, 18:22:22 »
Hi again!

Thanks a lot for your help

/Andrée

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2009, 13:27:57 »
Hi Andrée,

Just another peice of advice, when you install the rudder tube make sure the top is above water level!

Mark

Andrée

« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2009, 12:20:03 »
Thanks a lot for your help

Andrée