Hints and Tips > Electrics

Stipping a servo

(1/2) > >>

richardabeattie:
The Bronington instructions advise me to use the motor and speed controler from a servo to drive each prop.

I have opened up a very old servo possibly it came with my ancient Macgregor R/C.  Inside is a motor fixed to a printed circuit and fed by the cable from the receiver.  On top and attached by 3 wires is the upper plate with the plastic gears.  So I have three questions. 

1. Do I simply cut the three wires and discard the gears?   
2. What is the small round drum shaped molding under the gears into which the three wires feed?
3. In its original role as a servo the motor spins fast and the gear train cuts down that speed.  But how does that translate into making the actuator arm just turn a bit one way and a bit the other?

richardabeattie:
I should add that when I connect the opened up servo to the receiver (without cutting the wires to the gear train) the motor runs well but the working the transmitter controls does not slow it down let alone reverse it.  What am I doing wrong?

ship's doctor:
Hi Richard,

As I remember the small drum moulding should be a potentiometer? You need to detach the gears from this, leaving the potentiometer and the three wires intact. Then with the tx stick in neutral, you turn the potentiometer to a point where the motor stops turning. The tx should then work in forward and reverse.

I think this should work but could you post a photo of what you have so far?

James

richardabeattie:
How's that?

Having posted this I cannot see that my attempt at attaching a photo has worked!

richardabeattie:
The forum keeps telling me my photo is too big.  But I'll have a go at tuning the potentiometer.  I am better at explaining heteroskedasticity than the workings of a servo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version