Author Topic: Oliver's HMS Kelly  (Read 84042 times)

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
Re: Oliver's HMS Kelly
« Reply #15 on: 08 October 2010, 20:43:02 »
Hi Kurt,

I agree about the battery movement.  On the battery holder, I have L-shaped tabs which prevent it from sliding fore and aft and left and right.  I think/hope that'll be snug enough.

My biggest concern is waterproofing and I've heard solutions from screwing the hatches down to using grease.

Have a nice weekend and thanks for the information,
Oliver

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #16 on: 11 October 2010, 06:19:51 »
I've already used both...
Usualy the rudder hatch i "close" with some grease (make sure everthing is painted and all fittings are put on securely!)

regards
Kurt

DickyD

« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2010, 17:43:10 »
Hi Oliver, I haven't been on for a while so I might be a bit late with this.
This is where the batteries are positioned in my Javelin, they are two 7.2V 3700mAh placed on the base of the hull and pushed back against the motors.
The Rx and speed controller are under the bridge.The lead you can see was removed when the electrics were installed.

Sorry forgot to say I used the brass props from Deans, excellent.

« Last Edit: 19 November 2010, 10:53:53 by colin »

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2010, 09:52:38 »
looking good............you know your hull is blue ::)      lolol

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #19 on: 15 October 2010, 15:07:43 »
Hi Dicky,

Thanks for the photographs. 

Your batteries like Robin's are more forward than mine.  I'll re-ballast once I have more of the ship complete.  I too thought about putting the ESC beneath the bridge, but I ended up putting only the receiver thinking that in the future -- long in the future -- that I might have more room to put in a sound system.

Appreciated the close-up shot of the Deans props.  They look nice.

Tommy, the blue hull means that Dicky will always sail in good weather!

Thanks all,
Oliver

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #20 on: 21 October 2010, 01:27:04 »
Hi,

I thought I'd provide some information regarding the references that I'm using for my HMS Kelly.

References
For my primary reference, I'm using the Deans Marine plan as well as Robin Lee's excellent HMS Kelly as a reference model as that was the inspiration behind my model selection.  Robin was very kind and emailed me a number of his photos.  In addition on this forum, there are a number of excellent completed models such as Dicky's HMS Javelin

From the internet, I found John Dean's HMS Kelly and completed models of the J/K/N Class Destroyers by WEM helpful ( HMS Kelly, HMS Jervis and HMS Quality ).  Outside of the internet, I'm using the book The Kellys: 'J', 'K' and 'N' Class Destroyers of World War II by Christopher Langtree.  This is a good book though I wish it had the general layout of the HMS Kelly.  In fact, I've never come across a layout of the HMS Kelly other than the Deans Marine's plan.

Note that John Dean and WEM models are slightly different from the Deans Marine model.  For example, the port walkway isn't straight like the Deans Marine kit.  It resembles the starboard one.  I don't know which one is correct, but when there are differences, the Deans Marine plan and Robin's model are the tie-breakers. 

Other plans are available such as those from John Lambert and a number of archives ( referenced in the Langtree book ), but to keep costs down and to keep things simple, these are my references.

Thanks and happy building!
Oliver
« Last Edit: 21 October 2010, 01:30:12 by hotjava »

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #21 on: 19 November 2010, 05:33:14 »
Hi,

Hope everyone is well.

I've installed the deck.

Deck Installation
The most difficult part about the deck was the bow.  The printed styrene wasn't symmetrical and didn't look like the plan.  So, what I did was to redraw the bow.  I also opened the holes for the hawse pipes so that the anchor chain could pass thru.  Once the deck was in place, the hawse pipes open to a small plywood cup so that water won't enter the hull.

After sanding the styrene deck to shape, I leveled the deck with scrap balsa as wooden shims and using liberal amounts of 15 minute epoxy, I glued the deck onto the deck supports and allowed the deck to dry overnight.  The next day, small gaps were filled with MMD ( Squadron ) White Putty and then wet sanded with 400 grit superfine wet sand paper until I got a fine even, dull surface.

Thanks for reading and happy sailing,
Oliver
« Last Edit: 07 December 2010, 06:58:59 by hotjava »

dmbl

« Reply #22 on: 19 November 2010, 09:06:02 »
I might be wrong. but on the photo where the electric motors can be seen, i noticed that the wiring of both motors is exact the same.  ++ / --  you should have one motor running clockwise and one counterclockwise wich will not happen with the way they are connected now. as i see it. But as i said. i might be wrong..   :smiley1: :smiley1:

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 19 November 2010, 14:30:58 »
Hi Oliver, I think dmbl has a point :-\ easy to put right of course. Coming along very nicely. Your work area is very tidy Oliver (unless you had a tidy up specially for the  photo?). I am a very untidy worker myself, wish it was otherwise as I end up spending a lot of time searching for mislaid things >:(
Robin

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #24 on: 19 November 2010, 16:10:32 »
Hi,

Thank you for the observation, but the wiring is correct because the "wire" is switched at the barrier strip and not the motors.  So, one motor spins clockwise and the other counter clockwise.  So, she should move forward and backward hopefully well!

Robin, yes, I try to keep it tidy.    I've never liked things cluttered and it prevents me from losing small parts.  After seeing your models, I absolutely don't believe you that you are an untidy builder!

Again, thanks for the information. 
Have a good sail or build this weekend you two!

Oliver
« Last Edit: 19 November 2010, 16:11:08 by hotjava »

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: 19 November 2010, 17:28:40 »
did you get the hover out onto the workbench..  ;D  ;D  ;D

keep up the good work and you will have a brilliant model

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 19 November 2010, 18:23:20 »
Oliver, looking at the "photo" again I can now see that it was one posted by DickyD of his Javelin so I owe you an apology :(

On the subject of workshops stand by to be shocked. Below is my workshop (dining room) in its natural state. You may wonder what my wife thinks of this state of affairs. What can I say - she is very tollerant (most of the time  ???).
Robin

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: 19 November 2010, 18:54:34 »
tut tut robin....  :D  ;D  a very tolerant wife you have..

dmbl

« Reply #28 on: 20 November 2010, 08:14:58 »

Again, thanks for the information. 
Have a good sail or build this weekend you two!

Oliver

As for me. it will be "building" I have a LOT sitting on my desk :-) right now its the refurbish of the mighty Dreadnought. She was hit by a celinglamp dropping down on her and damaging everything down to the ships deck..   >:D Well this made my decision on rebuilding her a bit easyer  ^^^

Looking forward to see the progress of your beautifull model  ^^^

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #29 on: 23 November 2010, 00:21:04 »
Robin,

I think messiness is over rated.  It's the results that count and if I can come close to your HMS Kelly, I'll be happy.  Maybe, I should make my desk more cluttered?

"dmbl", oh my!  That must have been a horrible experience.   I would have been devastated.  Wishing you the best on her reconstruction.

Oliver