Author Topic: Twin esc's  (Read 7319 times)

Offline MikeC

• Able Seaman
Twin esc's
« on: 21 September 2013, 16:57:32 »
This is my first twin motor installation. I'm using two Viking 10 esc's and Action P40D mixer. I intend using one battery. My question is :-  Each esc has its own switch. Now, I have disconnected the power lead as instructed,from one of the futaba type plugs but how do I deal with the two on/off  switches ?  Will the whole system be supplied with power through just one or do I wire both esc's to one switch ?

Offline MikeC

• Able Seaman
Re: Twin esc's
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2013, 17:03:37 »
Of course I meant Viper esc, 'Mtronics'

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2013, 18:10:00 »
this is only my personal opinion....  ::DD   8)

i would cut the two switches of there little black cables, short the little black cable together, so they are permanently switch On (individual to each ESC)
or you could leave the switches in there, but leave them switched On.
and then put in my own switch between the Batteries and ESC`s
« Last Edit: 21 September 2013, 18:12:16 by colin »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2013, 07:33:17 »
I've got two m-tronic ESC's in my Solebay,  I rewired the two switch leads to a single switch.  Joe

Offline MikeC

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2013, 11:00:02 »
Thanks both of you. I think I will go for Colin's solution as it isolates the battery pack from the ESCs,as recommended. Colin,, would a press on  / press off switch do the job ? I know you advocate 10A switches,but they seem so big. I'm using two Deans Kyte motors and a five "sub C" cell 4600mah Nimh battery pack

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2013, 06:16:29 »
quite honestly, i would image so.. !!

it all depends on what ampage your Motors would like to draw from your ESC, thus in turn, how many Amps can the ESC draw out of your batteries.

as i use very low drain Motors (4 amps maximum drain under load) i could put two motors quite happily on a 10 Amp ESC, and would probably only need a 5 Amp switch, but to be on the safe side and have some reserves, i would opt for a 20 Amp ESC and a 10 Amp Switch.