Author Topic: HMS Illustrious.  (Read 365154 times)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
Re: HMS Illustrious.
« Reply #45 on: 04 March 2014, 22:42:17 »
Thanks Mike, I'll get the digital one, also found that there are two mags called Warship Profile 10 and 11 which also deal with HMS Illustrious, have a digital copy of them too.

Joe I'll look into the British Aircraft carriers design and see what it has.  I do have the Rodger Chesneau Aircraft carriers of the world 1914 to present, this is an illustrated encyclopedia.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: 05 March 2014, 13:32:34 »
Well the hull has arrived and will now study the hull in relation to the ship drawings and see what type of problems I am going to have and what other materials I will need.   Here are a few photos of the hull so you can all see the size of project I have taken on ( I wonder if its a step too far!)

I feel very confident in doing the work but I may need some new tools and wood.

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #47 on: 05 March 2014, 17:03:22 »
Hi Paul .
 :smiley1: It will be quit a task , hull looks a nice job . Friend of mine in SWA is building her on a fleetscale hull  . Taking some time to do .
Look forward to watching your progress .

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: 05 March 2014, 17:19:41 »
Impressive looking hull Paul, I can't see you getting bored in your retirement, a bit on the large side for me to get up and down two flights of stairs to my "dockyard", I am thinking of HMS HOOD for my next build but in 1:200 that keeps it around 4 foot, sadly this is not in Deans line up so will not be doing a build log. Joe.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: 05 March 2014, 17:41:54 »
Yes I know the size is large, as my club chairman has the newer version R06 so have a good idea of the size.  Will be doing most of the large work in the summer when I can move the trailer tent out of the garage so that I can work on her.   But in the mean time I can prepare and cut the hull supports and do some of the smaller work and set thinks up for the summer periods.   It will be a long job and the cost needs to be controlled so have to create a build schedule for this one with goods arriving on a just in time build.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: 08 March 2014, 18:08:53 »
Well that's all the spitfires completed for above and below deck with folding wings.  I found the work quieter difficult with having to drill each wing and body of the aircraft to allow the wings to be secure.  Some photos to show what was done.  I have to do some paint work on the under carrage and make some changes to the aircraft ID letter.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 09 March 2014, 15:42:47 »
Nice bit of patient work there Paul.  Will make an impressive sight on the flight deck when she is completed.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: 09 March 2014, 16:38:46 »
Thanks Mike, Yes I have to agree with you and with the detail on them and the uncut aircraft she should look impressive.   The sword fish should also add to the ship.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: 09 March 2014, 16:41:40 »
Have been working on the C deck at the moment and drawing in the walls and positions of doors and other items for the Admirals bridge, as this will be the only area visible through the windows the rest will be just support for the skin and main mast.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: 09 March 2014, 19:19:31 »
Nice work Paul, they should look a treat in the hanger deck, one of the guys at the SWA show this weekend brought his Fleetscale carrier hull and deck being built as Victorious,  in the early stages with the superstructure just stood in place, I'll pop some photos up later. Joe.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: 09 March 2014, 21:04:33 »
Thanks Joe all the photos you can get always help.  The fleet scale hull is 125 scale I think.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: 10 March 2014, 13:59:22 »
They are 1:128 aprox 70 inces long, plenty of detail I think it was the semi kit as it had the moulded deck placed on top. Joe   

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: 10 March 2014, 22:53:52 »
Thanks for that Joe, could you email me the photo and any others if you have them so I can see a bit more detail.   You have My Email if not will sent it again in a PM.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 11 March 2014, 20:28:38 »
Okay not quite a photo but linked to your post in Joe's HMS Zulu blog, I don't know if you know, but you probably do, their is a 'family' of artists called Joseph and Edwin Galea from Malta who paint scenes from Malta including famous RN events.  I have three in my spare bedroom - The Ohio, HMS Hood leaving harbour in 1937 and the Illustrious being bombed when docked in 1941 following Operation Excess.  The signed prints do come up from time to time on ebay and in art and auction houses.  They are a little on the larger side but if you end up showing her a copy framed of Illustrious under attack would make a nice backdrop.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: 11 March 2014, 20:45:27 »
Have to agree with you Mike.  The web site has some of the most beautiful photos of ship in service with the Med fleet.