Author Topic: HMS Curacoa  (Read 34656 times)

Offline HMS_Curacoa_RIP

• Able Seaman
Re: HMS Curacoa
« Reply #45 on: 29 April 2017, 15:39:35 »
I hope my model will be an apt tribute the brave men who were lost on HMS Curacoa in Norway and in the ultimate collision and sinking my RMS Queen Mary on 2nd October 1942.

Looking fabulous - she will certainly be that.

My paternal Grandfather
Edward R G "Reg" WHITE, Sergeant, RM
went down with her, MPK and presumably is still on duty aboard - he had just come off watch and was last seen by his "Oppo", Marine CSM Sid Dobbs (who survived) in the RM mess amidships not long before the collision.

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #46 on: 30 April 2017, 15:54:42 »
Pleased you like her . She will be appearing in our SWA displays in the south of England such as DDay Museum , Portsmouth Historic a Dockyard etc and will have details of her tragic loss displayed with her . I hope this will help to tell the youngsters of today what our brave service people did and continue to do for this country  and the debt we owe them .
 I have had to do a lot of research in order to try and get the model as near correct after after her 1939 refit as I can
I will be posting more photos of final fitting out and model on the water in due course.

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #47 on: 26 May 2017, 14:45:50 »
HMS Curacoa
        Photos of the completed build . will attach photos from her maiden voyage planned for our club Navy Day on Sunday when I get them .
         Almost a year to build but looking good .

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #48 on: 26 May 2017, 14:55:03 »
A beautiful model, serious Bravo Zulu

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #49 on: 26 May 2017, 17:36:07 »
Thank you for that Troy . It's a few years since my last Bravo Zulu !!!!!! (HMS Vernon I think !!!!!)

Offline glennmur

• Able Seaman
« Reply #50 on: 01 April 2018, 18:39:15 »
Anyone still watching this thread? I'm from Veblungsnes, the small hamlet about a mile and a half from where HMS Curacoa was bombed. One of her crew, Albert Verdun Petch, RNVR, is buried in the churchyard at Grytten. I have two photos, one just before and one just after the bomb hit the Curacoa, and I know the story.
Glenn Murray
Oslo, Norway

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #51 on: 05 November 2018, 20:36:42 »
Hi Glenn . Just read your post . I believe that my uncle was the only survivor of the Pom Pom located foreword of the bridge when the bomb hit . He had shrapnel in his back until the day he passed away only a couple of years ago.
  I am sure the photos are good to have .