Author Topic: HMS Zulu build  (Read 323479 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Zulu build
« Reply #285 on: 06 June 2014, 15:32:25 »
Hi Kit,  yes now you mention it I do recall an anomaly with the mid structure, the dotted lines on the deck plan shows the angled side wall on the port side but the indicated deck opening puts it on the strbd side, I went by the deck opening when building the mid structure the angled wall is on the strbd side, Deans kits do keep you thinking but ultimately make you a better modeler  ::DD ^^^

PS.  the angled wall on the strbd side is correct as you can see in this photo of the port side showing a corner instead of a angle. ;)
« Last Edit: 06 June 2014, 16:38:43 by radio joe »

Offline kit

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #286 on: 02 September 2014, 21:23:47 »
Got so busy building that I forgot to update the board but first a huge vote of thanks to Joe, my own build would have been a lot more challenging without the insights and tips provided.

Anyway, I didn't come across any more major problems with the instructions but I have to be honest, the quality of the resin castings left a great deal to be desired, sorry Ron, but you really need to sort this out.  It may make Joe a better modeller but it just made me a really grumpy one - I did feel a bit like the guy who bought a dog and spent all night barking ???.  And my wife has learned loads of new nautical expressions relating to resin castings! 

Anyway, on a more positive note, the build is now complete, its model is great and sails superbly.  The main reason for writing this post is that in some areas I took a different approach to Joe that others may be interested in.

First, the use of a brass plate instead of ply makes it really easy to glue gear to the bottom of the hull.

Next, I modded the design so I could remove 01 deck and everything aft of where 01 deck drops to 1 deck.  To do this I used pine as the support beams as it strong enough to hold a thread and increased the width to about 1/2 inch.  This also helps to keep the water out which as been enhanced with a smear of vaseline.  The joints were 'covered up' with 1/8 inch semi circle rod which also improves the watertight integrity as water ingress now has to go via a Z bend as opposed to an L bend.  It only needs 12 screws to bolt the whole lot up which is a bit tedious but fully compensated for by the access.  On reflection, 1/8 inch is probably a bit think so next time I will use 2.5mm, or maybe even 2mm.

I didn?t like Joe?s design for the turret as I couldn?t see how he kept the water out where the servo head went through the deck.  Instead, I used some 2mm rod and tube to connect the turret to a servo which I mounted (almost!) in the bilge.  I connected the servo to the turret using a 2mm collar glued to the servo arm head which I didn?t screw on which means I can separate the turret from the servo head and the servo head from the servo.  I used a HXT900 micro servo which can be modified to a 180o rotation using a couple of resistors wired across the potentiometer ? instructions are on YouTube much cheaper than a servomorph and, IMHO,works a lot better. 

I took a slightly different approach to the radars from Joe using a Jotika 1/298 gear reduction motor for the 965, a 1/198 motor for the 993 and the action electronics radar motor for the 293, all powered by two NIMH AA?s in parallel.  The Jotika motor mounts are laminated to give stop the plastruct flexing and the motors are screwed on using a bit of wood glued on to the motor.  Yes, I know the 293 shouldn?t be on the bridge roof but I liked the idea of three rotating radars and it?s my boat so the bits go where I want  ^^^

The figures are 1/100 railway figures from eBay ? ?3.99 inc P&P for 100, chuck away the girls (unless you have a post 1995(?) build), a coat of paint and loads of jolly jack...

I also chopped out the anchor mounts and built recessed versions, a great improvement on the original moulding ? many thanks for the idea Joe.

I have rebadged the ship as Mohawk ? too many F124?s about!  And yes, I know Mohawk was never modded for Seacat (always assuming early versions of Seacat could considered an improvement on anything), the navigation radar is in the wrong place, the flight deck lettering should be white, no hand rails (all I do is knock them off and stick them back on again) and God alone knows what else ? but like I said, my ship, my rules.

Anyway, that?s all I can think of for the time being - time for OOW manoeuvres with the Berwick.  If anyone wants any more details on what I have done, drop me a line

Cheers

Kit

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #287 on: 02 September 2014, 23:46:56 »
Good to see her finished Kit, you've done a great job on her, it just goes to show there are many different ways of building these kits with a bit of imagination. ^^^
Joe.

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
« Reply #288 on: 11 November 2014, 12:37:09 »
Hi Joe,

Fantastic build! Did you ever consider to make her a star in a short video clip?
I am sure she would look fantastic.

Regards,

Frank

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #289 on: 11 November 2014, 16:02:55 »
Nice build Kit, like the different ideas and as always you are the skipper and as you say its your ship, hope to see her in the water. ^^^   Paul

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #290 on: 11 November 2014, 19:29:27 »
"Throw away the girls pre 1995!!"
Wrens went to sea in 1990 in HM ships Brilliant, Invincible, Juno and Battleaxe.
Try throwing away the girls now !

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #291 on: 11 November 2014, 22:42:17 »
"Throw away the girls pre 1995!!"
Wrens went to sea in 1990 in HM ships Brilliant, Invincible, Juno and Battleaxe.
Try throwing away the girls now !

Wouldn't dream of it Pauline.  ::DD ;D

Brian Dobinson

« Reply #292 on: 16 November 2014, 13:00:50 »
Hi Gents. I am building the Zulu too. I served on her from 76 to 78 so trying to make the model as she was when I was on her! 2 questions, 1, I dont remember the quarterdeck veing green, I am sure it was grey? Any ideas? I have searched my photos but deck colour is not obvious!

2, when you drill out the portholes on the model, what do you fill them with please?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #293 on: 16 November 2014, 16:19:20 »
Hi Brian,

I can not confirm the colour of the deck other then I too painted the deck on HMS Solebay green, not grey.  I was told that when seen from the air it blends in with the sea.
As for the port holes, when drilled out to 3mm you can either plug them with cut brass tubing and then fill the tube with clear epoxy glue and when dry paint them all black. you will see that in the written instruction supplied with the kit or in the build log for either Joe or my builds of HMS Solebay.

Brian Dobinson

« Reply #294 on: 16 November 2014, 16:24:54 »
Very many thanks Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #295 on: 16 November 2014, 17:19:04 »
Hi Brian,  hope you enjoy your build, the deck may well have been grey in the seventies, my Zulu is as she was in 1984 just before decommissioning as with every part of the ship the decks were maintained and repaired throughout her life and recoated with nonslip finishes, the portholes in 1:96 scale I prefer to keep them understated and simple I just drill a 3mm hole with a sharp bit and then slightly countersink them just enough to put a "rim" round them, then after the painting is done cover the back of the holes with tape carefully fill the hole with clear epoxy I use a cocktail stick as a dropper, naturally have the hull on it's side so all the holes are flat.

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #296 on: 16 November 2014, 17:28:58 »
Hi Brian
I'm building Zulu as well, albeit slowly. I was on RFA Tarbatness in Late 77 early 78 during our deployment to Australia. I've searched through my photos, but the only one showing the quarterdeck is in B&W so I'm afraid I can't shed any light on that for you.
The late 70's were the period when decks were gradually changing from Green to Grey, I seem to remember Grey decks first appearing in about 1979.
One thing I've learned over the years about researching models is that memory plays tricks on us and also that colour reproduction in photos has so many variables its hard to pin down what colour is actually accurate
I attach some photos for interest
One of HMS Nubian showing a Red Lead fo'c'sle and quarterdeck just for curiosity
One of Zulu in the Med with a Green fo'c's'le - sadly I don't have one of the quarterdeck.  Taken from RFA Olwen
and lastly one of RFA Gold Rover and HMS Ardent taken by RN Phot in 1979, Ardent has Grey decks, Goldie has a mixture, if you look closely the superstructure decks are still Green!
Good luck with your build and also your research - if you find an answer do let us all know!
« Last Edit: 16 November 2014, 17:35:23 by Troy Tempest »

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #297 on: 16 November 2014, 19:58:28 »
Zulu was sporting a green quarterdeck when I helped sell it to the Indonesians back in the mid 80's.

Brian Dobinson

« Reply #298 on: 16 November 2014, 20:11:25 »
Very many thanks everyone!. This is my first Deans Marine build, and I am really enjoying it! Took me 5 years to get it out of the box, but well underway now!

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #299 on: 17 November 2014, 16:37:01 »
I can "Black Cat" that, I bought mine in about 1986!