Author Topic: HMS Bramble build  (Read 158169 times)

Offline Dennis

• Captain
Re: HMS Bramble build
« Reply #90 on: 20 May 2013, 14:40:23 »
Very nice build indeed. ^^^Your brush work is flawless, looks like it was sprayed.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: 20 May 2013, 17:27:14 »
Thanks Dennis,  So as not to mislead anyone the primer is sprayed, everything else I do with brush.

Been painting the hull topsides and superstructures today I think Solebay was easier to paint than this one as all her superstructures were removable leaving a relatively clear deck, Bramble on the other hand has a lot of nooks and cranny's, and it needs two coats, I think I see where you guys with the airbrushes are coming from, any way I'll get there eventually, I've been using acryilic paints for a long time now, and one thing I've found is, as it dries so quick, it helps to rinse the brush in water often during painting otherwise the brush is inclined to become clogged and starts to spread the bristles,( just in case anyone is new to acrylics.) ;)
« Last Edit: 20 May 2013, 23:13:56 by radio joe »

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 21 May 2013, 15:56:06 »
Coming along very well Joe. HMS Bramble has such a lot of character - I am tempted to build one of these. Looking forward to your report on how it handles. I wonder if it would make a good steering regatta boat? Single rudder/two screws might be a problem but time will tell.
Robin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: 21 May 2013, 19:19:06 »
Thanks Robin, My Solebay has standard drive and stock rudder and she handles very well ,probably not for steering regattas, but for a 4 foot warship definitely OK, and Bramble being a third shorter I'm not expecting any problems.

I took a break from painting and made the jack staff and ensign staff.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: 21 May 2013, 19:32:34 »
Boot top, structures and decks painted, still a lot of fittings to prepare for priming, remove flash etc., but the next job is to seal all the portholes with epoxy.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: 22 May 2013, 06:41:04 »
the wooden (plastic) decks have turned out rather nice, i would have to say.  ^^^

@ Robin, your thinking the same as me...
and in my opinion this Kit has a very VERY good chance of winning the kit class competitions
with a P94 (mixer & ESC) in her she would be fantastic.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 22 May 2013, 12:20:58 »
Think you are right there Colin - should be a good alternative to those numerous pesky Revell Snowberry "plastic magic" boats.  ??? About the same size, similar air profile, two screws so would be better astern. The single screw flower class corvette is likely to handle better ahead but with the mixer in HMS Bramble that would level things up.
Robin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: 22 May 2013, 13:40:07 »
Thanks Colin,  I think the planked decks were worth the effort and add a bit of interest, and I'm quite happy with them.

Hey Robin, If you decide to build Bramble or Marvel it would be interesting to hear what you think, I know I'm thoroughly enjoying mine but with hindsight I should have got the 4mm shafts and 30mm props, I opted for the 3mm shafts and can only use 25mm props but then I'm not too bothered about speed, but if you were entering a competition you may wish to consider this.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 22 May 2013, 17:10:36 »
Thanks Joe I will bare that in mind.
Robin

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #99 on: 22 May 2013, 18:10:45 »
Nice work Joe,  Have you had her on the water yet?  I am off for a week so will read up on the build when I return. 

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #100 on: 22 May 2013, 18:35:06 »
i think you will find the 25mm props will give you ample power/thrust.

changing the motor would probably get the Bramble to plain....  ;D  ;D

i am a little of topic but...
Think you are right there Colin - should be a good alternative to those numerous pesky Revell Snowberry "plastic magic" boats.  ???
different rules over here, "plastic magic" boats have there own kit class "F4C", separated from the real kits "F4B" in 2001 at the World Championships in Poland.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2013, 18:43:17 by colin »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: 22 May 2013, 19:17:44 »
Yes I'm sure you're right Colin, when I tried her water line in the tub I tested the r/c at the same time and I got the idea that the trust was adequate,  it certainly kicked up the water astern, and the Raboesch destroyer props are superb.

Thanks Paul,  she's only been in the tub as yet, I've still got a lot of fittings to do,  Have a good holiday mate.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2013, 19:23:52 by radio joe »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: 26 May 2013, 18:26:44 »
The running gear is now complete and have fitted the anchors and chains ,also started on some of the items that make Bramble different to Marvel, the 4 twin oerlikons are ready for priming,  and her range finder.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #103 on: 29 May 2013, 12:21:50 »
I do like those open prop shafts Joe. My current project also has them and they make a lot of difference . Just did not think of it at the time when I built my two DM destroyers :(
Bramble is coming on very nicely.
Robin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: 29 May 2013, 18:31:36 »
Yes your right there Robin the shafts do make a difference, I wish I had fitted them to my Solebay but like yourself I didn't think of it till after I had fitted the stock ones, I'll certainly fit them to any future builds,

Did some more detailing today, my favourite part of the build, and finished preparing the rest of the fittings for priming there must be 40 + items, some are just tiny vents but they all make a difference.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2013, 18:35:39 by radio joe »