Author Topic: HMS Bramble build  (Read 157847 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Bramble build
« Reply #120 on: 12 June 2013, 18:29:02 »
The railings are now complete and next I'll paint them before fitting the davits and ships boats, I have to admit I did get some more boats that have greater detail than the vacform ones, a 25' motor launch  a 27' whaler and a 14' row boat all have good clinker detail.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #121 on: 16 June 2013, 20:43:28 »
Railings painted and a few more bits added also the crew, well at least a skeleton crew but I think it adds a bit of interest, still working on the boats and waiting for the whaler which was out of stock.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #122 on: 16 June 2013, 23:50:28 »
Really nice Joe, I like what you have done I feel you have really put your hart and sole into.  She looks great. ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: 17 June 2013, 19:00:21 »
Thanks Paul, just the boats to finish and fit to the davits then wait for a nice calm day for her first sailing , on holiday next week so probably after that, now looking forward to the next build in a few months time ( to give you time to catch up ha ha) I'm still considering Cossack as an option and my remit will be to increase my skill level and to turn the turrets, all four of them, and get them to represent the proverbial broadside, well that's the plan anyway.  Joe

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #124 on: 18 June 2013, 20:44:22 »
Did a final leak/trim test today passed on both counts, also added the cable rigging, I used black shearing elastic "found" in the wife's sewing box, it's good for removing the access modules without breaking the rigging.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #125 on: 18 June 2013, 21:22:08 »
I know that bath any place It seems to hold half of the RN ships from WW11.  Need to get one my self!   Nice job Joe, but is she not sitting to high I though the water line was just below the black belt or in the middle.  Fine for me to talk I have not had mine in the water since I put the motors in.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: 18 June 2013, 23:37:26 »
Yes that's right Paul the water is right at the bottom of the boot top, although she is shorter than Solebay she dose have a deeper draught..Joe

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #127 on: 19 June 2013, 06:26:37 »
weight room wise....  a larger battery for more driving time   ^^^  ^^^

looks the bb's and ee's

defiantly on my to do list, still have three projects to finish first...

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #128 on: 19 June 2013, 06:58:51 »
Looks great to me and a nice bath tub you have too ;D ;D ;D ^^^

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #129 on: 19 June 2013, 11:32:52 »
Thanks guys, Hey Arno you should know better than that, it's not a bath tub, it's my navy wet dock/trials basin LOL.
conditions were just right today for "sea" trials the lake was flat calm and no wind, she sailed very well, but as commented on in this forum I feel you were right, she is a little high in the water although the water line is as plan, she was inclined to roll a bit too much for my liking though no where near enough to roll over I think a bit more weight would correct this, also batteries did have a slight sideways movement that had more of an effect than I had thought, so back to dry dock, the lake had a lot of jap bind weed so had to be careful not to foul the props

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #130 on: 19 June 2013, 12:15:02 »
OK to put it in other words: your wet dock is quite impressive ;D

I know what you mean, as I had my Muirneag in my private wet dock last week. I had decided to use a 3s 11,1 LiPo battery. Even with a heavy loudspeaker I am able to put some weight into the hull. But I think it is better this way round rather than having a model too heavy from the beginning. Hope to see some pics from outside your wet dock soon.

Kind regards - Arno

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #131 on: 19 June 2013, 12:20:05 »
what was the speed like..?? were or are the 25mm Props large enough..??

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: 19 June 2013, 16:15:38 »
Yes the speed was adequate Colin, she certainly put up a bow wave at full throttle and the turning circle looked about right, having said that, she's not as fast as Solebay, but I would imagine an "algerine" would not be much of a match for one of the "battles" when talking about speed.

I've put an extra 100 grams forward and 100 grams in the tiller flat, she now sits 7 mm lower in the water about half way up the boot topping, and in the "wet dock" dose look better and feels more stable.

Thanks Arno yes it's better to add weight to a light boat,  than trying to make a heavy one lighter,  I 'll post some photo's next time the weed in  the lake was quite worrying it took my mind off of photos.   Joe
« Last Edit: 19 June 2013, 16:26:09 by radio joe »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #133 on: 19 June 2013, 17:22:18 »
Hi Joe,  Glad you had the sea trails.  The weight you put in may well help and to secure the battery should also make it more stable.   On the subject of Jap bind weed, our pond is full off it at the moment and there is no sign of the council doing anythink about.  So my Divers dry suit on and a good heavy bass broom and in the water I go to disturb the roots and then rack it out.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #134 on: 19 June 2013, 17:41:43 »
i would not imagine that a minesweeper be that fast any way..  ::DD
it is not as if HMS Bramble has to chase the mines..  ;D  ;D