Author Topic: Maersk Anglia  (Read 136844 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: Maersk Anglia
« Reply #45 on: 04 October 2013, 17:47:10 »
Super work as always Dennis, You must be very proud of that I know I would be.  Joe.

Offline Big Dane

• Able Seaman
« Reply #46 on: 22 October 2013, 11:13:15 »
Dennis,
Good to see your project.

I have now been bulding my MA for the better part of six years (only because my wife does not allow it inside the house, which means that I have to constantly come up with new details to add.)

I can see that some of the chellenges I have had are still an issue, the misalignment of the hull and the need to cut outside of the marked line (I learned that the hard way).
Unfortunately I came to long into the rail building until I realised that the soft stanchions provided could not be used.

Presently I have the model in a close down for winter, but have attached a picture where I have removed the cover to allow for a glimpse.
I have added quite a lot of details and equipment not provided by DM, but I found some pictures on the intranet and as I am also a former ships master on Ro-Ro ferries I have soem knowledge of equipment that "ought" to be there.

cheers
S?ren

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 24 October 2013, 01:55:09 »
Hey S?ren, great to see your amazing build of the MA. Like all the details you have put in.  Hope mine comes close to what you have there. I had started to use the stanchions in the kit but in the end went with turned brass. They cost quit a bit more but worth it in the end. I have found a few pics of her on flicker but other than that not much to go by. Any help with the equipment would be greatly appreciated. Hope to see more pics of your ship. 

Offline Big Dane

• Able Seaman
« Reply #48 on: 24 October 2013, 05:22:38 »
Hi,
Try this link.
http://s496.photobucket.com/user/Bill_W2008/library/Maersk%20Anglia%20detail%20photos/#/user/Bill_W2008/library/Maersk%20Anglia%20detail%20photos?sort=6&page=1&_suid=138258819841602204556756033228

Through a friend of a friend I also managed to get a guy in NZ onboard in Wellington and take photos, but the ones in this link pretty much covers the same.

I hope to find some time to do a little work in the coming months, so will post more pics when I get her out of the "tent".

cheers
S?ren

Offline Big Dane

• Able Seaman
« Reply #49 on: 24 October 2013, 14:42:40 »
Hi Kamus,
No, after much consideration I decided not to  :smiley1:

/Soren

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 24 October 2013, 15:01:02 »
Thank you for the link!!! ^^^ ^^^ These will give me a better idea of the details of her and where things should go. Also thinking of painting the decks the same red color aswell.

Offline dash8man

• Able Seaman
« Reply #51 on: 26 October 2013, 17:46:50 »
Hi Dennis,

Are you going to cut out the scuppers along both sides of the ship or just paint them on? Trying decide best approach here upon starting my kit. Yours looks great by the way! Cheers.

Bill.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 27 October 2013, 03:55:27 »

Thanks Bill, not for sure which way I'm going to go on that yet. Painting would be the easiest way, but cutting them in would be more detail looking. Been looking at a few photos to try and figure out how to cut them in. Will post some pics when I get to that part of my build. Hope you post your build on here.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: 27 October 2013, 09:49:24 »
Hi Dennis, Considering all the excellent painstaking work you have put in on the detail so far, I cannot see you just painting on the scuppers, and of course even on a model they are functional details to stop the well decks getting swamped, The way I look at it is, going that extra mile is what makes a good model into a fantastic model, as you certainly did on your window detailing. Joe.

Offline Big Dane

• Able Seaman
« Reply #54 on: 27 October 2013, 11:33:08 »
Dennis,
I have cut out my scuppers and will certainly suggest same to you. Painitng does not give the right impression and it is not that difficult to cut it either.
I used a Dremel at low speed with a slighly used abrasive wheel to ensure that I was in control. I fixated the hull on one side and arranged a piece of wood on the inside of the railing to stabilise it. I then marked the abrasive wheel with the the needed cutting thickness and went ahead.

Cheers
Soren

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 28 October 2013, 13:22:42 »
I have to agree with you both. Cutting the scuppers it is. Been looking at a few photos to get an idea of where they go, length and so forth. And you right painting them on  does not give a good impression.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 26 December 2013, 00:59:39 »
Finally was able to do a sea trial to see how far off I was on weight and to see how well the mixer from action was going to work. For starters the wind was blowing about 20 knots and the seas where around one to one and half foot here in the sound. I was really concerned about the mixer possibly giving the model some violent roll from side to side but after a few adjustments it handle like a dream. Even in rough seas I was able to remain in control of her at all time. With the mixer it will spin within the length of the hull. Here are a few pics of that day.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 26 December 2013, 01:01:40 »
A few more pics of her cutting through the waves.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: 26 December 2013, 13:32:46 »
She certainly handles the wet stuff well, she'll look grand when she is painted, nice job Dennis, Happy new year mate.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 26 December 2013, 20:21:39 »
Thanks Joe, Happy new year to you as well.