Author Topic: HMS Solebay build  (Read 94897 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Solebay build
« Reply #30 on: 02 February 2012, 10:04:32 »
A WW1 pelorus cruiser that would be awsom at 1:96 I'm guesing that would be about 5ft ?

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: 02 February 2012, 10:19:27 »
not quite Joe

Length: 300 ft (91.4 m)  at a scale of 1:100 (close enough to 1:96) would make her 914mm (close on 3 feet..)

Mouldeans have a Hull HMS Pegasus

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: 02 February 2012, 12:25:35 »
Quite right Colin, the Pelorus class was actually 75 ft shorter than Solebay, I was basing my guess on the WW2 cruisers that were 70 odd ft. longer than Solebay.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2012, 08:54:39 by radio joe »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: 03 February 2012, 15:34:47 »
Well Joe, its has arrived and I have had a good look at her.   The plans could be better not a lot of detail but I could go and get the real once.   The hull will require a bit of trimming.  Got the CD with all the pictures and drawings.   Will take my time in checking all the parts, and reading the instructions.  1st job though make a nice stand for her so that I can work on the hull.   Will not be starting till March or April and will then do as you have done load pictures of the build and hope I get a good result.  Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: 03 February 2012, 19:15:55 »
Hi Paul
As for the plans you have to use a bit of logic and intuition, I think with Deans kits you never get two of the same model finished identical everyone seems to do a bit of their own thing, but they do make into a extremely nice model and as I said before do challenge you, which I like. I always make a box type cradle with rope handles so you can carry transmitter and bits and bobs under the boat, I have also made a pair of slings to place boat in and out of the water (saves a lot of bending) I look forward to your build log.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2012, 19:17:26 by radio joe »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: 05 February 2012, 12:59:55 »
I've had the mast on my mind lately as soldering is not one of my strong points,so I thought I'd tackle it today and get it over, one way or another, well I managed to make a reasonable job of it so I can now forget about the mast until it's time to fit it to the boat.
Done a bit more to the funnel and the Q deck assembly is progressing quite well.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2012, 13:04:10 by radio joe »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: 05 February 2012, 13:23:12 »
Well you have done a great job on the mast so far, its looking good for some one has said he can not solder.  When I read some of the instruction saw I needed so more tools!  The funnel is real nice. 

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 05 February 2012, 13:32:38 »
Yes, the soldering of the mast looks very good.  :)
Robin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: 07 February 2012, 11:13:28 »
I thought I'd do a bit more to the mast so I can prime it with the other Assembly's, which are just about ready to be primed/painted, but before that I'm going to assemble and pre fit the main gun turrets.

Offline Rene

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 07 February 2012, 12:14:04 »
The Solebay is getting shape, looks very nice.

Rene

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: 07 February 2012, 15:10:10 »
i think you can be quite proud of your self there Joe..  :)  ^^^

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: 07 February 2012, 21:00:00 »
Thanks for all the encouraging comments guys ^^^, I did the 4.5"turrets today and have temporarily fitted them, I thought I would mount them so they could be turned by hand, then I found a spare micro servo in my odds and ends box and I'm using a 6 channel radio so I made the bridge deck turret r/c, and was thinking of a way of linking the fore deck turret mechanically, then it dawned on me a second micro servo and a Y lead would be the simplest way and turn them in tandem or use another channel and turn them independently.I'll decide later when the extra bits arrive. Next job is to prime/paint all the sub assembly's

Offline Rene

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 08 February 2012, 10:00:08 »
Very nice idea of the turrets.
It's an interesting subject, so i'd like to make the turrets movable in the future as well. I keep on follow this.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: 08 February 2012, 10:23:25 »
Hi Rene.
This is typical of me I get an idea when working on a model and the idea grows and I just have to make it happen, the bridge deck turret was quite simple as it was easy to get at, the fore deck one is going to be a bit tricky fitting the arm etc. to the under side of it but I will do it.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: 10 February 2012, 14:28:00 »
She got her bottom wet yesterday, I felt I had enough of the bulky items on board to test the water line so I placed her in the bath and she sat square in the water with the surface of the water at the bottom of the boot topping aft, and the bow about 6 to 7mm higher, with the batteries at midships and the running gear aft of that it was predictable, adding several pieces of lead the bow came down to the bottom of the boot topping, the amount of lead is 3/4 lb. and luckily I had a lead ingot of that weight which keeps it tidy now its inside the bow and should help to dampen the bow movement. so I have to say that Deans got the water line on the plans spot on.