Author Topic: ASR update  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Ironclad

• Warrant Officer
ASR update
« on: 27 October 2012, 12:15:50 »
Well, I have finally managed to get some free time nd so have spent it on the boat. I am really happy with how it is starting to come together now. I have installed all the radio gear and tested this and happily it all runs smoothly although I did have to cannibalise the transmitter so that I got a deadstick for the throttle. I am attaching a few pics of the boat so far.

Offline Ironclad

• Warrant Officer
Re: ASR update
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2012, 12:22:05 »
I had seen a picture of a static model that had sandbag like pads arnouring the cabin and really liked the look, so a bit of milliput and some fettling and voila...these should do the trick!. I also had some fotos of an ASR with larger engine vent cowls at the rear and no midship ones , just the smaller ones on the cabin top and again quite liked the look as it decluttered the side of the boat more. You can also see the frame I fabricated for the rear...I know this boat may not be historically accurate but that isnt what I am looking for. I want a boat that looks good and something that has plenty of detail.

Hope you all like but please do leave comments or ideas as I am not finished yet!!!

Ash

Offline Ironclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2012, 12:31:08 »
Oh and just one last thing....having spoken to Colin on this subject I have gone for a perhaps eccentric option on the glazing. I have arched the windows with 2.5mm quarter radius styrene rod and left the bottoms open. I will then glaze them inside with a smoked clear styrene and I think I will be happy with that....you can see the windows a little better in this picture

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2012, 13:07:28 »
its these little things that makes all the difference....

nice job your doing Ash..  ^^^

Offline Ironclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2012, 15:28:21 »
Thanks Colin... I am really enjoying doing this boat....I think I have definitely caught the bug!

Here is a picture with the Armour pads "dry fitted" to assess the look....got to say it looks spot on although they will be mounted a little higher in the final stages so they come up to the bottom of the window.

I will also paint these separately to the hull and superstructure and weather them a bit too so they look more "added on" as they would in the real world. Off to sort out the side pads now!

Ash

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2012, 20:02:59 »
Coming along very nicely indeed.

Offline Jeremy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2012, 12:12:06 »
Looks really good. This is one of my favourite boats. I have an airfix one and the george turner one in my fleet. They both have the added protection and it really makes the model.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2012, 20:21:10 »
If I had known you were after splinter mats I had a couple at 1/24th you were welcome to for the cost of an SAE.

Offline Ironclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2013, 13:44:02 »
Hi all

Wow.... it seems like a long time sie I was on here and I suppose it was. I have not had chance to do any more on the boat yet but I am looking to do some more soon. For now she is sitting in a primered state and more or less completed and ready to run once she gets a top coat.... I will post more pics once I have done more....till then have fun!