Author Topic: HMS Inflexible  (Read 322316 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Inflexible
« Reply #75 on: 09 October 2010, 18:48:02 »
the forward flying decks Mast is getting very close to being compleated.

just the ratlines (shrouds) to be added, and a couple of threads here and there.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 10 October 2010, 08:56:46 »
Looking very good Colin. What is the rigging material you are using? The ropes are hanging very realistically.
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: 10 October 2010, 09:51:55 »
its a three core nylon thread, can be obtained from Deansmarine, its even in some of the kits, but I'm not to sure which ones.

the good thing about this thread it does not fray like most threads.

to tie of the ends of the thread, i have split the three core down to single core and used the single core tied round the doubled back main thread.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 10 October 2010, 13:58:03 »
Colin is the nylon thread on the DM web site - could not spot it.
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: 10 October 2010, 14:12:46 »
no its not in the Online Shop as a single item, can only be found in some of the Kits.

but it would not suprise me if you wrote a nice e-mail asking for some then you would probably get some.

and as a result of these posts, it might appear in the online shop in due course

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: 17 October 2010, 14:23:24 »
here we have the compleated turrets, one is compleated and the other is getting its finishing touches, the black paint work is still to be compleated on the second turret.

the close up shows the selfmade turnbuckles that hold the turret top to the turret ring.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 17 October 2010, 15:38:59 »
Looks good Colin. I assume these turrets are to be remotely trained in azimuth or even elevation?
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: 17 October 2010, 16:44:25 »
i doubt it very much, this model is more of a championships Model, so she has to look good for the judges, i will not be putting any gadgets (mechanics) in her at all.

just the normal radio gear for Steering competitions.

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #83 on: 18 October 2010, 08:13:59 »
Wow.  Colin, those turnbuckles look real!

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 18 October 2010, 11:22:55 »
i doubt it very much, this model is more of a championships Model, so she has to look good for the judges, i will not be putting any gadgets (mechanics) in her at all.

just the normal radio gear for Steering competitions.

Thats interesting Colin. I think you are saying that working turrets are likely to appear a bit contrived on the judges table? Have to agree in general but I have seen one or two which have been very well done. I have thought about doing this myself but it looks too much trouble as the best seem to be complex engineering jobs not just sticking the turret on top of a servo.
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: 19 October 2010, 11:09:26 »
yes Robin that would be about the just of it...

i am not really into complex engineering, and just sticking the turret onto a servo does not look very good when the turret gets moved.

but then again, one day once she has been finished, and hopfully attained a podium position at a World Championships, i might just think about the engineering, and make them movable, spare parts for the turrets are always available, and easy to obtain, so i could make another set with the engineering applied.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2010, 11:10:09 by colin »

greateastern

« Reply #86 on: 20 October 2010, 01:37:07 »
Hello Colin,
I'm new to the forum and here because I found a link indicating that you were building the HMS Inflexible--a ship that I too was interested in building. I now have  John Haynes 2 sheets of drawings and have been looking at your model to see whether we are perhaps working from the same plan--via DM. On Haynes' plan there are NO loading shutes for the MLR's and I see on your model that you have none either and there should be shutes on the glacisplate. In DK Browns book  Birth of the Battleship p.76-77 there is a very good repo of a drawing from NMM that shows the shutes but there is no reference to how far the turret turns to that spot. Any clues?
  It is an impressive job you are doing and I look forward to seeing a completed model.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: 20 October 2010, 10:48:10 »
Hello greateastern,
i am using both sets of plans, the ones from John Haynes and also the Kits plans, the reason behind this, i have already stated; the model will be entered into Competitions, being as it is a Kit, i can only enter it into the Scale Kit class, there for i must use the Kits Plans.
extratact out of the rule book for competitions.

Craftsmanship ---  max. 50 points
Evaluation of technical craftsmanship and quality of the model. 
Accuracy of the forms, the look of the surfaces and the quality of painting.

Impression --- max. 10 points
Evaluation of the overall impression and the appearance of the model.

Extent  ---  max 20 points
Evaluation of the overall extent of work on the model. Reconstruction and improvements should be evaluated positively. Time-consuming work should be considered and assessed, based on the degree of difficulty. In the F4-B and F4-C classes, reconstruction and accessories should be considered.

Accuracy in relation to the construction documents --- max. 20 points
Evaluating the construction scale (considering allowed tolerances). Completeness of all details, based on the documentation used by the competitor. Evaluation of the correct choice of paint and natural appearance of wood, metal, fabric, rigging, etc.

the 20 points for accuracy would be lost if i was not to use the kit plans, john haynes plans i use to alter things so they look nicer, to gain the craftsmanship appreciation.

i do not have the book you refer to, the information i have has come from the internet, NMM, Mr Haynes him self and Mr Dean. As to how accurate my model will be to the original once finished i am not really bothered, so long as the competition judges, give me the Points appropriate to the Model.

about the Loading chutes for the MLR's you might be referring to this; side elevation of turret at a scale of 1:100 i am not to sure wether the loading chutes are all that important, the fact that the guns were muzzle loaded, and that the guns were lowered below the glascisplate, is enough information for me.. as to were these chutes are i have no clues at all... 
« Last Edit: 20 October 2010, 11:25:05 by colin »

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: 24 October 2010, 14:06:57 »
here we go... after a mammoth weekend of threading and tying knots and fixing the finished parts in there places the forward flying deck is about 95% finished.

the ratline (shrouds) on the port side still need to be compleated, and the torpedo nets rolled and stowed on there platform.

the shrouds have been individually threaded and tied, first the vertical lines were put in there place, then the horizontal threads were threaded with a needle through the vertical lines and tied of at each vertical line.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: 24 October 2010, 14:07:45 »
heres a couple more photo's