Author Topic: HMS Zulu build  (Read 323986 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Zulu build
« Reply #120 on: 29 December 2013, 16:19:01 »
Just been reading one of the books I got Christmas, Type 81 a History of the tribal class frigate by Patrick Boniface, it covers the service history of all seven tribal frigates  plus some of the ships that had the names previously, a most interesting read.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: 29 December 2013, 17:56:08 »
I have a couple of his, although not that one and they do make a very detailed read full of factual information.  Sadly didn't get any new books this crimbo. 

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #122 on: 30 December 2013, 16:33:29 »
Hi Mike,  I did quite well for books this crimbo, as well as the one already mentioned I got "Daring class destroyers" by Neil Mc Cart and "Cats and Cathedrals" a history of the type 41 and type 61 frigate by Patrick Boniface some good reading there.

Did the first bit of primer spraying on the bridge module, when made I left off the bridge roof so I could fit the glazing after spraying I think I did right, masking all those windows would have been a nightmare, as spraying is so messy I do it in the garage and it is a bit too cold and damp really but I wanted to get that bit done to finish the roof, I won't chance spraying the hull just yet.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #123 on: 30 December 2013, 19:37:52 »
I have the Daring one too Joe.  Neil Cart does some good books.  But I admit to a little bias as he used a pic of HMS Intrepid in his Fearless and Intrepid book in which I and an oppo were leaning on the stanchions on the bow when the photo was taken!   

raver than me Joe spraying out in the garage today!  I am just at the last stages of building my current build which I have reached the painting stage with the main build all done but I have put off painting for a few days as its too damp out there for my liking.  Hoping for a nice sunny news year day and day after to I can get a lot of it done.  Once that painting is done and the model finished then there are two Deans kits awaiting building for my next projects after the last two non Deans builds which I am itching to start.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2013, 19:44:07 by mikearace »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #124 on: 30 December 2013, 20:11:59 »
Yes I'm going to wait for a few dry calm days to spray the rest, looking forward to your build log Mike.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #125 on: 02 January 2014, 15:47:41 »
while I'm waiting for some good weather to get down the garage and spray the rest of the boat, I'm pottering around preparing all the fittings, starting with the MRS3 director, the aerial is improvised with the dish cut from confectionery packaging ,a micro pinion and a bit of wire, next is the limbo mortar I have to say the mouldings needed a fair amount of work the base was chipped in several places so the best option was to sand the base off and fit a new one it should look OK when painted, unlike my other builds I'm not adding many fittings at this stage, It should make painting the decks easier.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #126 on: 02 January 2014, 16:13:00 »
Looking good as usual Joe.  I know what you mean about the weather and painting.  I am at the paint stage now for my current build but the damp and cold is preventing me from painting the hull and superstructure.  All the fittings have been painted indoors and the window frames but have reached a point where I cant do anything more - other than start on my next build.  I am away for weekend tomorrow but next week I don't think the weather will be good enough still for painting so I will start my next build at the end of next week when the rest of my bits arrive and finish my painting of the current build when the weather warms up - and dries up. 

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #127 on: 10 January 2014, 15:27:07 »
While waiting for some better weather to do some primer spraying down the garage I'm still pottering around preparing all the fittings and mounting them on double sided tape, It was my intention to buy some upgrades for the two 4.5" deck guns as I'm not a great fan of the vacuforms but I thought I might just as well make them up and see how they come out, after all I'd have nothing to loose, and at 10 pounds each the upgrades are'nt cheap, well after some very fiddley work I managed to make them and I'm fairly pleased with them, with a bit more detail added to them and a paint job I think they will do.

Offline Tanzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #128 on: 10 January 2014, 18:13:21 »
Really enjoying watching this build Joe.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #129 on: 10 January 2014, 20:09:00 »
Very nice Joe.  If my memory serves me well (and often it doesn't) they had a red fire canvas curtain around the rear of the shield/turret often tied back to each side.  Although I have seen a few builds of the Tribals I don't recall any models actually having the curtain put on including my own primitive build from a few years back.  Knowing the excellently meticulous way you approach your builds had this thought crossed your mind to do?

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #130 on: 10 January 2014, 23:22:09 »
Funny you should mention that Mike, I had the same thought this afternoon after looking at a couple of photos from one of the books I got it clearly shows the curtains, and I started thinking what I could use that would look ok, still thinking, I'll most likely fit them after painting, the turrets lift off the servos so least they are easy to get at.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2014, 23:24:29 by radio joe »

Offline Tanzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #131 on: 11 January 2014, 13:46:13 »
Yep we had a grey ish thick canvas curtain on each side on the mohawk, normally rolled backed like the earlier picture I posted of the gun

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: 11 January 2014, 17:06:50 »
in some art craft shops, they have a satin silk paper.... tissue paper can be a little to coarse...
cut it roughly to size, soak it in thinned out PVA glue, and then form it into shape...  for example, slightly crumpled together as it would be when tied back...  ^^^  then let it dry...

« Last Edit: 11 January 2014, 17:14:46 by colin »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #133 on: 11 January 2014, 17:10:46 »
Yes I've seen that photo Tanzy, I'm thinking tissue paper for the curtains, loosely rolled and tied with fine wire and glued to each side and painted with thinned acrylic We will see how it works later, added a bit more detail to the turrets, and also noted from a photo that the midship wing decks had support stantions, so I fitted them today.

Thanks Colin sounds good to me.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2014, 18:55:04 by radio joe »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #134 on: 14 January 2014, 14:55:39 »
Got everything ready for spray primer today, might get down the garage and get it done tomorrow weather permitting, all the painting after that I do by brush back in the comfort of my "dockyard" and then to fit the rest of the deck fittings approx 100 items plus all the stanchion rails.