Author Topic: HMS Zulu build  (Read 322655 times)

Brian Dobinson

Re: HMS Zulu build
« Reply #315 on: 17 March 2015, 19:02:47 »
Cheers Joe, much appreciated

Offline kit

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #316 on: 10 May 2015, 14:05:49 »
Hi Joe

Can I pick your brains a sec?  I had my Tribal out today (first time without much wind)  and I noticed that when I wound on the power I get a progressively greater list to starboard once I was exceeding a scale speed of 15 knots or so.  Based on the square root of the scale and a guess as to how fast I was walking! 

I have a suspicion that it might be motor torque and I was wondering if you had the same problem?  If so, how did you fix it?

I have a 545 in there swinging a 35mm prop on a direct drive system so I may have to go down to a smaller motor or prop or both but I thought that I would ask around before splashing out.  Pardon the pun...

Cheers

Kit

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #317 on: 10 May 2015, 14:37:35 »
Hi Kit
way too much motor in that hull, if it were a twin shaft you might have got away with it as the torque from each motor contra rotating cancels each other out I only have a Deans Kondor1 motor in mine turning a 40mm five blade prop, ample speed and no torque effect.  ^^^

Offline kit

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #318 on: 10 May 2015, 14:50:19 »
Thanks Joe

I know, but I always have too much power.  I don't have to use it and came in handy in an emergency a year or so ago with my Cossack.  Didn't think about the torque point on a single screw though.

I thought that the Kondors were limited to a 30mm prop, must have been misinformed somewhere.  Can you just confirm it is a Kondor 1 and not a Kondor 11?  Finally, how much voltage have you got powering the motor?  Last question I promise!

Cheers

Kit

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #319 on: 10 May 2015, 15:42:28 »
Yes kit it's the standard Kondor running on two 3300 mah 7.4 volt nimh batts and drives the 40mm. 5 skew bladed prop, with no problems, after an hours running the motor is just warm, they are quite a powerful little motor without transferring the torque to the hull, but don't be put off by the Kondors size my Zulu can really shift when needed.  ^^^

Offline kit

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #320 on: 10 May 2015, 16:39:07 »
Thanks for your help Joe, time to invest in another Kondor....

Cheers

Kit

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #321 on: 11 May 2015, 10:42:14 »
Hi Kit
Sorry I've just checked back in the build and it's a Kondor 2,  ::DD

Offline kit

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #322 on: 12 May 2015, 19:46:25 »
Thanks Joe - haven't ordered anything yet, need to butter up the boss before another package arrives full of boat bits!

Offline Anatole3

• Petty Officer
« Reply #323 on: 27 May 2015, 16:59:56 »
hi Joe
I am a newbie at this could you please tell me what glues
you used I have made a lot of aircraft using epoxy and super glue
train models with contact and PVA and before I start my Zulu and turn her into
Eskimo I want to make sure I am  using the Correct sticky stuff
I have been reading your posts on here they've helped
to get me started.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #324 on: 27 May 2015, 21:11:02 »
Hi Anatole, the main glues I used on Zulu and all my builds for that matter, is 5 minute epoxy, 30 minute epoxy, and Cyanoacrylate, but I've found not all superglues are equal some I've tried I found not that good, but I've found the one I now use all the time it's Admiralty glues professional thin, a bit more expensive than the standard but well worth it, just assemble the joint and run the thin glue in using the capillary method and it's like the joint is welded all the glues are available from www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk
Hope this helps.  ^^^

Offline Anatole3

• Petty Officer
« Reply #325 on: 27 May 2015, 22:55:01 »
Hi Joe

Thanks for that I have just ordered enough to do this I hope one other thing I don't want sea cats
I want two Bofors as Eskimo was like in 1966/ 1967 any ideas where I can get a couple of good looking
single 40/60  mounts I have found a wasp.
regards
tolly 

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #326 on: 28 May 2015, 09:55:29 »
hi Tolly
1:96 fittings are a bit of job to find on the net, all I can suggest is to give Ron Dean a call they supply single bofors with some of their 1:96 kits, Deans are very helpful they may be able to supply you with a couple, the ones they list are 1:24  ^^^

Offline rsm

• Able Seaman

Offline Anatole3

• Petty Officer
« Reply #328 on: 28 May 2015, 13:13:57 »
 :smiley1: hi guys many thanks when I get stuck with my build I can always yell help.
I have noticed there is a difference with the model and the UN modded
Eskimo the 293 radar is not on a square building its on small lattice mast I don't know
weather Zulu had the buildings after a refit to fit secat.
I have added a small diagram  showing the difference

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #329 on: 28 May 2015, 16:34:42 »
Hi Tolly  not quite sure what you mean by 293 radar unless you meant the 993 low level radar, the mounting of which did indeed seem to vary, as all seven tribals were build at seven different yards variations in the builds were inevitable, and the plans for a model tend to be more generic using a bit of modellers licence, I always build to what I'm happy with. ::DD