Author Topic: HMS Inflexible  (Read 323174 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Inflexible
« Reply #90 on: 14 November 2010, 11:26:58 »
the Rear Flyingdeck is also taking shape... i have started on some of the fittings, the wooden deck has been laid.

the bits of plastic laying in the forground are the parts to go over the steps that go below deck (the two holes in the Deck between the guns)

the gangway is also growing.... not in the literal sense, there still lots to do, and its all rather fiddly

this weekend i continue work on the Hull and the main decks, and probably seal the wooden deck of this flyingdeck..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: 14 January 2011, 13:30:07 »
sorry you all have been wailting for some more updates, but as a working man, one does have other things that are important, plus one has to keep her indoors happy.

time for some more photo's, i have been working on the boots deck, as you can see from the photo's this is now finished and ready for painting.

the railings have been compleated in the same way as all the other railings on this model...

the back ground colour does upset the eyes a little but its better that my dirty floor..  ;)

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 14 January 2011, 14:57:34 »
Looking excellent Colin :). I know the torpedo boats are scratch built but the two smaller boats look like resin moulded items and look of very good quality, or are they scratch built as well?
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: 14 January 2011, 15:22:57 »
the torpedo boats are not quite scratch built, all the parts for the torpedo boats came out of the Kit, all i have done is modded the boats to suit a picture that i have of Second Class torpedo boats.

the other two boats in the middle are made of resin, that is correct, there from a Ukrainian manufacture, and they may well be at some time available in the UK...  ;)

these two boats will be made into Steam Launches, I'll be changing the boiler and what looks like the motor..!  :)

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: 14 January 2011, 15:28:10 »
Ukrainian :o Whatever happened to British manufacturing? Joking aside they do look of very good quality.
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: 19 January 2011, 17:30:45 »
i have been working on the main Decks, all the planking has been laid, and the third coat of varnish has just been applied, its still drying while i took the photo's

i even tided up my work bench before hand, so the photo's look a little nicer..  ;D

the planking is part of the upgrade kits, "LASER ENGRAVED DECK SHEETS" but i have modified them slightly to cover the decks much nicer, well i think i have done a good job... being as it is my very first planked Deck.  :)

Schmidt

« Reply #96 on: 20 January 2011, 08:43:14 »
Hi Colin,
can you please describe a little more detailed what you did to modify the planking. I also bought the pre-formed parts. Don't they fit exactly to the deck and the superstructure?
Schmidt

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: 20 January 2011, 12:56:32 »
everything can be modified to make things look a lot nicer..  :wink1:

the preformed wooden decks for the superstructure fit nearly 99%... there i did not modify anything...
only thing to think about with the superstructure, is the plastic deck needs to be glued in place a fraction lower than the marked line on the superstructure side panels to allow for the wooden deck.

the Main Decks planking is not quite as accurate, i suppose they could be used as supplied, but they did not quite cover all the plastic deck as i would have expected, it might be the way i built my Hull, i might have not keep with in the measurements.

basically i bought some more 2 mm single planks, about 6 lengths in total.
fitted the preformed decks loosely, marked the planks to be removed, because i would like to lengthen them to suite my wishes of how the deck should look, glued the preformed deck in place, then added the singles planks to fill in the gaps.

i hope the attached photo explains a little better

all in all, took me the best part of a sunday to do the complete Main Deck.

« Last Edit: 20 January 2011, 16:34:44 by colin »

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 20 January 2011, 13:00:34 »
"basically i bought some more 2 mm single planks, about 6 lengths in total.
fitted the preformed decks loosely, marked the planks to be removed, because i would like to lengthen them to suite my wishes of how the deck should look, glued the preformed deck in place, then added the singles planks to fill in the gaps."

I can't see the joins Colin ;D Good job. ^^^

« Last Edit: 20 January 2011, 13:19:20 by colin »

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #99 on: 20 January 2011, 18:23:04 »
thanks Robin..  :)

one thing i must say, for those modelers that would like the wooden deck effect.

the preformed plank set is very easy and quick to glue in place and has the disired effect.. 

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #100 on: 22 January 2011, 06:32:40 »
Yha Colin that does look very nice...BTW what did you glue the planks down with..
  Tom

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: 22 January 2011, 15:25:47 »
thanks Tommy

i used UHU plus endfest 300 to glue the Wooden decks to the plastic decks.

you have about 10 hours of working time, before the planks can not be moved anymore

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #102 on: 25 January 2011, 04:48:30 »
Epoxy!!! yes ^^^

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: 30 January 2011, 13:12:30 »
jup Tommy Epoxy... nothing better..  :)

now i have had time to complete the Gangway between the two flying decks... this assembly is now ready for painting.

looking at some of the photo's i have of the original ship, the gangway has a set of steps (not a ladder) that opens down to the top of the turrets.

in the kit there is some etched ladders, i opted to change this for a set of steps, they are also in the kit as a brass etched part.

seams to have turned out looking like the original..??

the signals house is already in the painting shop... this next time i photo this assembly, every thing should be painted, and fitted together.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2011, 13:16:01 by colin »

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #104 on: 30 January 2011, 14:45:15 »
The steps look spot on. Interesting perforations in the sides of the walkway.
Robin