Author Topic: Newbie build  (Read 2910 times)

Offline pokherman

• Petty Officer
Newbie build
« on: 19 February 2019, 14:57:41 »
Hello. Another newbie here..

Ive been tinkering in the RC game for some time now, covering ic boats, cars, planes of all types and helicopters , mostly sloap soring gliders, my first build was when I was 12, and had the chance to finish off a Graupner kit of the fire boat Wesser, It still works to this day almost 29 years on, and runs on VERY old Acom servos and a Mc greggor 6 ch 27mhz set lol. recently had a go at building a static model of the Cutty Sark that didn't turn out too bad, and my fingers have been itching to get something else to do for a while now. Was talking to my farther about what to do and again he loves his boats, in the past he has built a few as well, recently he built the Hms Unicorn. and now is building the Hms Victory, and wants to do a Deans kit of either the Hms Nubian or the Cossack.
He was lucky enough to serve on the Tartar for almost 8 months till he had his hand crushed by one of the doors on the boat.
So as a treat for him I thought I would make the trip from Basingstoke up to Deans to go and have a look at what they had to offer.

What I Thought would be a good day out turned into a brilliant day. Ive been to shops before but not like Deans.. To be able to see what and how the kits are made to the possible final result was amazing... And Ron,,, cant really put a bad word about this bloke.. a really nice guy who certainly knows his boats and history of the ships.. I can honestly say ive been and seen and talked to several shops and sales guys,, Ron your in another class lol.. Just want to thank you for all your help and input on our visit to your shop..

so the question is ,,, did I buy one??

Of cause I did lol.. couldn't resist! to start with I was going to annoy my farther by building the Nubian and making it into the Tartar..but then I kind of set my eyes on the HMS Manxman, and I kept going back to her to have another look, what a lovely looking ship. Ron filled me in on some history on the boat and with my mind set I was very eager to pay and get started on my new project.

Then Ron dropped the bomb and my heart fell  :(

" ok Ian we will let you know when the kit is ready and we will ring you and get payment then, normally a couple of days"

I had to go and have another look at the Nubian at this stage cause I was thinking "well back to plan A " ( annoy the farther lol)

Ron comes back to me and says " are you in a hurry to leave ? if not we can make your kit up now and you can watch how we do it if you like"

so with very eager eyes I watched and learned while Ron talked and showed me though everything.. I walked out with the boat I set my eyes on and a very big grin on my face..

so now I have to re arrange my workshop i built and start my new project..Im hoping to do a build log of some sort and post as i do stages of the build..

Any way... sorry for the long report and please wish me luck..this is the first deans kit i have ever done and first war ship too..

Ian

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
Re: Newbie build
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2019, 17:21:34 »
I wish you best of luck with your built, I am myself doign my first boat, and first Deans kit also and the after sale support is great if there is something unclear to you. Just mail and they help to resolve the issue.