Author Topic: HMS SOLEBAY  (Read 17667 times)

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
Re: HMS SOLEBAY
« Reply #45 on: 04 March 2021, 20:02:54 »
Starboard view

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 04 March 2021, 20:09:28 »
With the cold weather this weekend and weed still in the pond at Strathaven I will probably wait for it to improve (it must be an age thing I just don't like the cold) and go to Richmond Park for first sail.

Offline daniel

• Petty Officer
« Reply #47 on: 05 March 2021, 07:41:23 »
Nice build, I can't wait to see pictures of her on (calm) waters  ^^^

Offline Railbob

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 05 March 2021, 15:00:52 »
With the cold weather this weekend and weed still in the pond at Strathaven I will probably wait for it to improve (it must be an age thing I just don't like the cold) and go to Richmond Park for first sail.
I've been using Rouken Glen pond recently, weed free and sheltered , it also has the added advantage that the Boathouse is open for takeaway Latte  ;)

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 06 March 2021, 11:09:09 »
Before I sail the Solebay I will have to build a transportation stand normally I do this at the start of the build but due to covid have been unable to use the workshop at the Red Deer Centre with all our machinery you can build a stand in a couple of hours. So I will build one at home. Was down at Richmond on Tuesday with a Corvette and an S Boat (E Boat) It was a good sail although it was a bit choppy.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 16 March 2021, 17:29:15 »
The ship had its first sail this morning at Richmond while it sat well in the water I was disappointed with roll of the ship an tight turns and the time taken to come back to an even keel. The ship weighed in at 3.3 kilos and from the photo a fair part of the waterline is showing.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 16 March 2021, 17:37:59 »
The sailing weight according to Deans should be 4.1 kilos. This will allow ne to add more ballast to the ship. I will remove the ballast and renew with a larger sheet and lower the battery box this will cure the time it takes to right itself. the ship will still roll maybe not as much. All destroyers of the that vintage rolled.

Offline Kiyoshi Sekiguchi

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 17 March 2021, 01:45:52 »
Hi Pegasus;
Excellent pic on the water that looks really happy for her. !! ::DD
Looking a RC model ship on the water is more interesting and enjoyable
than on the desk for me. As I think a ship is normally on the water which we
enjoy her as a RC scale model.This pose on the water I think is the very natural
scene for my concept,regardless of real one or model one.   
I do look forward to more pics when you should sail again,if possible, with sailing
scenes generating the wakes around them which may look more realistic. :wink1:
Enjoying a fully complete RC scale model ship on the water is very interesting
which is my final goal of the build of the RC model ship.!! ::DD
« Last Edit: 17 March 2021, 01:59:38 by Kiyoshi Sekiguchi »

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 17 March 2021, 14:52:03 »
Thanks Kiyoshi whilst I get some satisfaction from sailing the models I get more from the actual build. The problem with the roll will be fixed I enjoy problem solving something I have missed since retiring. The covid pandemic would have been sole destroying if it was not for the ship building. I would like to build an Aircraft Carrier but because of the size transporting it would be a nightmare by the same token the ship I would like to build love to Build is the HMS Renown after her rebuild in 1939 this ship was nicknamed Churchills Racehorse. Will post a video when I solve the rolling problem.

Offline Railbob

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #54 on: 17 March 2021, 19:32:06 »
Pegasus, have you thought about fitting bilge keels? it's something I'm thinking about as I have the same problem with Javelin.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 18 March 2021, 09:55:27 »
I will see what happens when I have added extra ballast if there is no substantial improvement then bilge keels could be the answer. The certainly work on my Flower Class Corvette. Her roll from hard turns is excellent. I think you could use 5mm Super Styrene Triangle 60 Degree as a start an the blend it to the required shape.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 18 March 2021, 11:24:33 »
Battle class fitted with Bilge keel Having seen this picture I think your suggestion is a goer whilst I have the ship down to the hull and have removed all superstructure battery, receiver and speed controller I will order the styrene and go ahead. You only need to do about a third to half of the ship. on the Corvette which is 35 inches long the bilge keel is 16 inches, On my 350 scale ships is roughly a third. The Solebay is about 47 inches so a bilge keel of about 19 inches should be about right.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 24 March 2021, 19:24:16 »
Railbob
           I am fitting bilge keels to the Solebay will post pictures. Meanwhile I found a picture of Javelin fitted with bilge keels
« Last Edit: 25 March 2021, 11:19:58 by Pegasus »

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 25 March 2021, 11:14:19 »
Whilst pleased with the finished Solebay. The performance compared to my other ships was poor the ship rolled to easily and took to long to right. I added more ballast and more importantly added bilge keels. I did this by removing the paint down to the bare haul in the area the bilge keels would be allocated.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 25 March 2021, 11:19:06 »
I made the bilge keels from 5mm 60 degree styrene triangle super glued to the hull