Author Topic: HMS Enchantress  (Read 11150 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
HMS Enchantress
« on: 14 July 2020, 09:23:47 »
So here goes, firstly I would like to say, I build models of particular ships because I like there appearance, not because of any history, I am not really interested in its history, most of you know from my last build and probably my HMS Inflexible Build that I am not really into Warships, or the so called Greyfleet, so please create a new thread if you would like to give History lessons..

my version of the Deansmarine’s kit of a Bittern Class Sloop...  selected to be a Admiralty Yacht in 1934...

There will probably be large differences with my version compared to the show room model at Deansmarine, largely because of a lengthy conversation with Mr Dean and the available fittings..  so there will probably a bit more or less.. as the case maybe..

For example, the options that I have changed:
resin ships boats
Propshaft’s and “A” Frames
single stations
there are probably a few other bits and pieces, you might recognise during the build..

I try my best to produce a decent Model..   :-))

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Enchantress
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2020, 09:24:31 »
While waiting for the box to arrive, the research brings up a fair bit of info on the Internet, a few black and white photos...
But by all means the best info, is from the NMM, costs a fortune...
colour Plans have been downloaded..
A fair bit of red pencil, we're things have been moved around and or omitted from the original Bitten class..
One could even add more cabin space on top of the already two decks that the model shows..  only one photo that I could find on the Internet showed this arrangement.. as there was no date stamp to show when this happend.. I will stick with the two decks and omitt the 1st lords cabin..

One thing I have noticed from these plans... the propshafts do not run 100% parallel to each other..
At the motor end they are closer together than the prop end.. at this scale it's only a few millimetres, but noticeable on the plans..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2020, 09:26:55 »
all the normal Points to take into account, rubbing the hull down, sanding the top of the Hull down to the Deck line, adding filler to the inside of the Hull then sanding it down to make a nice Surface for the deck supports to be glues to.. make up the deck support beams, and generaly Transfer messurements from the plans onto the Hull..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2020, 09:31:28 »
Time to install the main drive System...
I have opted for some different Propshafts and "A" Frames, reason for the Propshafts, I wanted them to have the free running part, and also a M4 boss for the Props with a 2mm shaft..
There is a larger variety of props with M4 thread than there is with a M2 thread..
Yes, the “A” Frames are a white metal fitting, I knew that Mr Dean has these, but they are not readily available, it’s a question of asking nicely
I can hear you all now….   %) 
Wow a white metal fitting as a “A” frame, they will not take the strain…
I can assure you they can, I have used them before…
The centre has carefully been hand drilled out, and bushes inserted, with room for lubrication fluid…

I have made up a couple of templates, to align the Propshafts
The tubes have been abraded to make sure the glue has a better chance of sticking to them..
Once all the glue had gone off, the templates and shafts were removed, some filler was applied to the outside and then rubbed down until it suited..
The template from inside the Hull was then cut down to size and glued in place, a bit of a propschaft brace which also forms part of the base that will be installed for the ESC and radio gear, the bulkhead for the motors was next.. All aligned with a ammeter and once satisfied with the amount of Amps drawn, the bulkhead was glued in place.. while the motors were running..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2020, 09:35:16 »
something quick and easy to build in the evening..  an leave the longwinded bits for the Weekend..

here we have the basic top part of the Bridge.. quite straightforward..
the curved part is from 0.5mm plastic, run through the fingers a few times to warm and bend as required..

once the glue has dried out, it can be sanded and then the rest of the Detail can be added...

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2020, 09:37:29 »
I have made up a template for the bilge keels..

The tabs enter into the hull and get pinned on the inside of the Hull, then with a syringe and a added metal outlet that has been filed down on one side, a fillet of epoxy is laid on the joint, this enables a nice smooth curved joint between hull and Bilge keels

Here is the basic build of the lower part of the bridge, really quite simple and straightforward..
Once all the main structures are built I can then experiment with the detailing..

All of the port holes have been drilled out, here is a rather simple way of making port holes look there part.. 
the porthole its self is (I think in English there called “Ferrules”) multistrand wire crimp..
The eyebrow of the porthole is made from a length of brass wire wrapped around a drill bit of the appropriate size.. Cut it along the length and you get little rings, making the second cut, you get half circles, hey presto  :-))

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2020, 07:54:56 »
The remainder of the Basic superstructures have been built, all rather straightforward, no major problems..
One thing i have changed is the Galley, in the kit there is a flight of stairs that go up to the Roof, just like the Accommodation structure, i have omitted this as one of the photos that i have, the galley Looks rectangular..

Now it’s time to start on the detailing of which some parts are obviously not included in the kit..
Of course the laser cut wooden decks are included in the kit, fit very nicely, no trimming needed, what I have done though, the top edge on the side and on the roof of all the superstructures have received an edging strip from Slaters micro flat plastic, also available for Deansmarine..

This gives a little more effect to the superstructures and a bit more plastic for the railings to be attached to.. and also evens out the height difference caused through applying the wooden decks..
Around the top part of the bridge the windbreak has been glued in place, this is also from Slaters micro flat plastic..

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2020, 08:17:27 »
Very nice work Colin!
I hope I will be able one day to work as clean as you do

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2020, 21:15:45 »
Hi Colin,

You are doing a grand job there, it all looks very nice and crisp. I will follow your build with great interest. If you continue building at that speed you might be able to take her to the Open Days, is that your aim? :-)

Kindest regards,

Arno

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2020, 05:12:25 »
thank you guys..  :)

all the main structures are reasonably simple and quick to build, it's the Detail that takes the time..  :wink1:

yes Arno the aim is to have her Ready for the Show..  if we are allowed in the Country..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2020, 10:29:26 »
One of the options that i opted for was the ships boats, i am not using the supplied vacforms, rather the resin ships boats, two gigs, two dinghies, and two motor launches, of which I have made two different types.. one open and one closed at the stern part of the launch, here is the making of the closed one, made out of 0.5mm plasticard and slaters micro square.. I recon they look the part..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2020, 10:30:14 »
During cement drying time..
I started on the funnel, cut the Vacforming out, sand them flat, apply strips of left over plastic to ease in binding the two half’s..  For the Base and top part of the funnel three pieces of 1mm plastic were glued together, filed and sanded to shape..  Around the top part of the funnel I attached a strip if slaters micro flat.. a cage for the top of the funnel was also made, this out of brass wire.. which was also used to raise the top part of the funnel as there is a gap between the top coming and the top of the funnel..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2020, 10:31:12 »
During more cement drying time..
Adding a little detail to the lower bridge superstructure.. And the turret blast protection, or whatever it’s called.. The three main struts are part of the kit to support the forward part of the blast plate, the side parts were then glued in place, on the photos that I have seen, there is a type of cross sections under the blast plates, with scrap 0,5mm plastic I have tried to achieve a similar effect..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2020, 10:31:56 »
More gluing drying time
Then why not start of the turrets, these are also available in two version, one as a complete resin form (rather delicate, but highly detailed), or flat packed as 1mm plastic to be glued together, which is what is supplied in the kit.. I have used the 1 mm plastic with a bit of detailing from photos
All rather simple to build, the detail bit have been made out of remains of 0,5mm plastic and Slaters micro flat, and rod, station chopped down to form the eyelets and a piece of 0,2mm nickel silver that is threaded through the eyelets..
Hope you are all enjoying the photos..  ^^^

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2020, 11:59:03 »
Being as all the parts that are required in the Hull, eclectics and the such likes have been completed, I can think about gluing the decks down, but before I do that, one last thing to glue in place are the Anker tubes… or maybe better known as the anchor hawse pipe…

In the kit, there are white metal fittings for the opening on the Deck (hawse pipe cover), I have opted for a different approach, out of scrap 0.5mm Plastic I have made my own plus were the Anker chain would pass over, this info has been taken from the NMM Plans..

Once I was happy, the decks where then glued in place, around the top edge of the hull and infringing onto the deck I have glued an edging strip of 0.5mm, this also brings the top of the Hull up to the same height as the wooden decks. In the kit there is some 1mm micro square, to finish the foredeck, I have opted for some 0.5mm micro square, (found in my spares box) and also altered the amount of space between them..

And while I have the micro square in my hands, I have also added a bit of detail to the blast plate from the lower part of the bridge or the upper turret, whichever way you look at it..