General Discussion > Customers Builds

HMS GURKHA Build

<< < (2/7) > >>

mikearace:
I've always done mine Hull red oxide.

colin:
I always use Humbrol matt 73  ...  Which is a deep wine red..

StuartMH:
 Hi there, this is harder than I thought it would be.  I have relearned the saying “its easy to take more off but harder to put it back on”.  Got a bit careless sanding down to the deck level, gone a bit low in places so now I am nervous about bringing down the high points.

Question: I assume you can measure directly from the drawings, eg for the hull width at deck level. Also the hight of deck level, because when I measure the hull against the drawing the front of the bow  is 6mm  lower than the drawing.  Making the Foc'sle look a bit flat.  Have I messed up or have I missed something ?  I sanded to what I thought was the marked line.

Thanks for the suggestions on paint, however using the Humbrol paint numbers in the instructions it gives the following:

Foc'sle  73  Wine
Weather Decks  76  Uniform green
Sides  128  US Compass Grey
Hull  133 Brown

Had the suggestion of using 73 for the Hull.
As I don't have any of them to try a patch test, anyone care to say whether the rest will look right ?.

mikearace:
Id definitely prefer, if it was me, humbrol 73.  Same with foredecks and I'd go with 76 weather deck. However I have just used Grey Primer spray for main hull to get a quicker more even paint job in the past - not accurate but passable.

As to plans yes they normally are accurate for measuring against.  If you look for radio  Joe's HMS Bramble build blog from a few years back on the forum he gives his tips for measuring hull and deck against the plans.  Might be helpful to read that and see if it's of use.  Well I think it was in his Bramble build as far as my memory goes!!!

StuartMH:
Thanks for the info on the paint, I am however not quite that far on with the build.  Got a bit ahead of myself.

Still working on the hull, quite a bit to re-learn to do about building. 

So if I go for bilge keels, should I make then small and in keeping or big and functional ?

Will need to decide soon, going for the sonar well on the stern means I need to get the rudders in and painted so I can get the deck on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version