Author Topic: My conversion of Empire Susan to Rumania  (Read 5899 times)

model tugman

My conversion of Empire Susan to Rumania
« on: 19 October 2011, 13:57:16 »
hello this is the story of my conversion of an Empire Susan Kit to a model of the Rumania, this a complete change for me as I normally build 1/24th scale tugs.  I bought the kit last October2010 and have just got around to finishing it, I had to alter/modify quite a few things to get her to be as near correct as possible, the reason for my making the Rumania is the fact that my Father was chief engineer on her for 5 years,as empire susan and Rumania.I have sailed her but now she is in a glass case near a painting of the real thing
« Last Edit: 19 October 2011, 14:34:47 by model tugman »

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: My conversion of Empire Susan to Rumania
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2011, 17:27:45 »
you have done a fine job there...  ^^^

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2011, 07:55:16 »
Well done!
I also built one (as Empire suzan) and still tow with her.
She' s really fun to sail and tow with.

Kurt

model tugman

« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2011, 19:36:11 »
Thanks gents for your comments, and Kurt are you using the  kit prop?.  geo 

Offline Manxman1831

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2011, 22:01:56 »
Lovely old design - is that really a wooden wheelhouse within a steel superstructure?  Looked like she had been in service for a few years when that picture was taken.

model tugman

« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2011, 13:42:52 »
hello Manxman,  she was only 3 years old when that picture was taken, She was towing the Interstate liner Canberra from Sydney to Genoa and it took them four and a half months to do it bunkering from the ship at sea, she was away from home for 18months,and towed right around the world, that tow actually became a record holder for a while as the longest non stop tow,and she used an 18" Manilla rope, a section of which is still in the British ropes co museum,and that is actally my old dad standing on the foredeck.
All of the Englishman and Modified englishman classes were built with a wooden wheelhouse front and sides to aid compass correction and she did not have radar until the early fifties, she was eventually wrecked very close to her home port of London , whilst assisting a ship aground on the Longsands bank in the Thames estuary.
I remember going aboard her in the thames when I was a youngster and would not go down below as it was hot and smelly, and then what did I do for a living for 50 years? I was a marine engineer of course!!!  Ha Ha.all the best  geo.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2011, 19:59:09 by model tugman »

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2011, 12:41:14 »
its great when someone knows the 100% history of a ship, and its even better when one has such excellent photo's to work from...  ^^^

i know what you mean about the smell and heat in the boiler rooms of such Tugs.... i have been into the Engineroom of the Furie, the last, still working steamtug in Europe i think.. stationed at the steam museum in Maassluis, Holland.
http://english.furie.nl/ if you ever get the chance to pop over to Holland, its worth a visit..

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2011, 10:42:11 »
Kurt are you using the  kit prop?.  geo

yep I do.
But I use a graupner speed 280 as motor. 
Then the kit prop is very good (low angle on the blades)