Author Topic: HMS Royal Marine  (Read 4639 times)

Glen Davis

HMS Royal Marine
« on: 06 October 2011, 09:12:09 »
HI

This is my model of HMS Royal marine. She took 6 months to build and was my first venture into R/C boating. Orginally started out with 27 mhz but soon replaced with 2.4 ghz radio system miles better.

The only problem I had with the build was that instructions in places was very vague. especailly the applications of the decals. The instruction booklet specifically said these were not the water slide but a different type i had never heard off. Infact they were water slide.

On the water is where all my problems started.

The main problem is she is not very stable and rolls heavily and i am yet to solve this problem. I'm thinking of adding a keel to move the ballast and centre of gravity lower in the boat. the keel should provide some resistance to roll and be removable when the model is on display.

The second minor problem is the rudder tiller arm. The white metal tiller supplied with the kit is useless and doesn't grip the rudder post. I have tried unsuccessfully to find a suitable replacement. My current thinking is to completely replace the rudder with a scratch built item with a larger diameter rudder post.

« Last Edit: 06 October 2011, 12:02:27 by colin »

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Royal Marine
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2011, 12:00:16 »
regarding the rudder tiller arm:

i would advise you to get the correct size according to the thickness of the rudder post, most of the compact class kits have a 2 mm rudder post, so this tiller would do you fine, i use them my self, plus file one side of the rudder post so there is a notch, for the grubscrew to interlock.

click this tiller arm link

as for the roll of the boat, you have guessed the correct way to solve the problem... always keep the center of gravity as low as possible, for example; batteries should not be up above the water level.

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
Re: HMS Royal Marine
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2011, 08:08:26 »
Well build!

I've build a Royal Marine and I've added a lead strip as keel (on the outside of the hull).
Did you add the stabilization fins?

regards
kurt