Author Topic: Chit Chat  (Read 9243 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Chit Chat
« on: 08 January 2009, 06:21:24 »
WOW...from an able seaman to a petty officer in one day...I should try this in real life :o

your going up the low ranks fast.... just like in real life, but now your stuck at petty officer for at least 15 posts then it will take even longer for the next rank... but i hope you enjoy your time in here.

The Unknown Sailor

Chit Chat
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2009, 13:08:41 »
15 posts eh? Does this mean I have to build 15 ships and start the corresponding discussion for each, or can I just be like the thoroughly modern celebrities and politicians and jabber on endlessly about anything and nothing  :P.

Well, as I am about to go for my second Deans ship, HMS Kent, at least I've got started. Bye the bye, does anybody know of any source for some decent books on this type of warship, preferably one with some nice pictures...I'm more of a visual type of guy, as descriptive articles leave me a little lost in the ..."huh...wot de say"  ???   

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
Chit Chat
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2009, 13:36:32 »
i wish i had the time to Build 15 ships..   :D  i have just managed 2 in three years.  ::)

Feel free to chatter away, but you might lose us if you chat to much... we like pics as well, they paint a thousand words.  ;)

at the last Open Day there was a very nice looking HMS Kent, but i can not remember who it was built by, i know one of the lady belly dancers has some thing to do with it.  :o

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=18;nw;start=72
« Last Edit: 30 September 2010, 07:29:49 by colin »

The Unknown Sailor

Chit Chat
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2009, 15:07:04 »
"Feel free to chatter away, but you might lose us if you chat to much... we like pics as well, they paint a thousand words.  Wink"

Yes, well rather understandable really, as chattering endlessly about nothing in particular, soon gets to be like watching the idiot box, which is a good reason, or at least as good as any, to build ships ;). By the way, I like pics too, except endless pictures of the same boat, different angle gets just as tiresome as the endless chatter  ::)

If anyone comes across any books on the subject of the Monmouth class cruisers, or indeed any books on the late Victorian navy...please...please post a link.

Sorry I wont be able to attend any of your 'open house' events, I'm sure I would enjoy it, however, its a long way to go, what with packing up everything and all, besides which, it's cold over there, it's a nice and balmy 73*F here right now  8)  As an expat Brit, I really don't miss the awful weather you have to endure. It does get a bit lonely though; hardly anyone speaks English, and those that do don't understand me  :-\  All the local modelers clubs are filled with people obsessed with buzz boats which zoom around the lakes at insane speeds...speed freaks, the lot of them >:(

The Unknown Sailor

Chit Chat
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2009, 15:15:01 »
"i wish i had the time to Build 15 ships.."  If the economic situation continues on its downward spiral, you soon will have   :'(   

Yes, yes, I know, breaking the rules already...sorry, just couldn't resist ;D

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
Chit Chat
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2009, 17:25:36 »
how about:

the Victorian and Edwardian navy by John Fabb, First Published 1976, ISBN 0713431229, full of Photo's on board.

or

The Royal Navy in Old Photographs by Wilfred Trotter First Published 1975, ISBN 0460041320 also a Photo on every page.

both of these books you will probably only find in E-Bay or some thing like that for example second hand book store.

me also an Ex pat, 18 years in the sigs  8)

The Unknown Sailor

Re: Chit Chat
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2009, 18:37:00 »
Thanks for the tips Colin. I'll do some ferreting.

I got you beat...been away from home for 27 years; funny thing is, I still miss the camaraderie, it's a totally different type of person over here, nice in their own way, but not the same as home.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2009, 05:57:55 »
not quite to sure if you beat me .... been away from home (this year would make it) some 30 years.

and likewise on the comradeship, and also likewise in what i now call home from home in the real literal sense.

how do you like this:
i have come first (won) in the German National Scale Championships in the Kit Class.
i have been the German Team Captain at Two World Championships.

and that being a Brit, but i like it over here.

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2009, 12:46:45 »
Well I guess you have got me beat.

That's a pretty impressive list of accomplishments, how did you do it...you must blend in well :D

I have managed to find both books you recommended, although one of them was rather pricey  :'(  ....still, needs must and all, the devil being in the details of course.

Boat has been ordered, thanks to those kind folks at Deans, though not paid for yet ... and that moment  of truth approaches ...gulpl!!!! ... the shipping .... it's just one of those details ... I'll  be submitting payment as soon as they tell me that the hull is ready for shipping. Now's the time that I envy those still living in Blighty  :-\  It will cost me more for shipping than the cost of the hull and running gear  :o    Still, it will beat sitting around, wondering what to do; get my mind and hands stuck in to something intriguing and challenging. Maybe I'll do a post on the construction, showing the boat at various stages of construction; you know ...the good ... the bad ... and the ugly, what do you think?

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2009, 19:44:32 »
i guess i must blend in well, live like a native and you get treated like a native  ;)

i know it is quite pricey to send things to the USA, its best to club together and order two or more ships and you still pay the same price because of the volume and weight, a palette remains a palette wether one or ten Models are on it.

being as i am one of the Administrators of this Forum, i would look forward to any positive input into this forum.

and i also guess that a post on construction like mine on the Lis Terkol and the Furie, would generate interest in others maybe, hoping that theres not much of the bad and ugly!!!!

as i have stated in many a report in Modeling magazines:
its the Modelbuilder that builds a GOOD model not the manufacture
a bad Modelbuilder can build a bad Model from a good kit!!!!

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2009, 10:08:15 »

Colin,

[quote author=colin link=topic=97.msg302#msg302 date=1231616672
its the Modelbuilder that builds a GOOD model not the manufacture
a bad Modelbuilder can build a bad Model from a good kit!!!!
[/quote]

That's right, every modelbuilder can "destroy" the best designed kit in the world.
The advantage we'll have with Deans kits is that you can modify/personalize them as you want.
Ron delivers a "base kit", if you want to superdetail the model there is nothing that will stop you.

I always say that when I buy a kit, I buy time (the time that is needed to make a hull, fittings, ....)
I always refer to Ron's kits as scratchbuilding  ;D  because I normally don't use the plan he provides but get more detailed drawings of John Lambert.  Sometimes I don't use the fittings in the kit but I scratchbuild them.

Look at the diorama that we've build and displayed at Dortmund. There are a lot of Ron's kits on it, but they all look different.
For the scratchbuild models that are on there some of the fittings are bought from Ron (Why invent the wheel 2 times?)

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2009, 17:22:28 »
nicely put Kurt.. could not have said it any better