Author Topic: Weapons  (Read 20036 times)

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
Re: Weapons
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2009, 08:42:48 »
The first time I met Markus was in Dortmund.  He was there with a replica of the Bismarck.  At that time I was building it also, but for the moment all work is stopped on it... (too much work with other projects like preparing the stand in Dortmund...).
When you see a model of Markus, you know that he has access to archives and other documentation than us.  He builds very accuratly and when you ask something he ill spend some times with you...
Kurt

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2009, 12:59:29 »
Pretty impressive! Not sure about the colours chosen for the flooring. Torpedoes that actually go into tubes! I wonder what scale the model is? The masts look as though they have their own travelling box so perhaps the scale is bigger than 96:1 maybe 72:1?
Thanks for the photos.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2009, 19:33:13 »
in answer to all your questions Robin,
the information that follows, is from a third party that i discussed your problem with and now translated his answers into English.

the guy that i spoke to at the show is building Z6, the photo's that i published are of not finished items, so they do not have there finished paintwork on them the scale is 1:100, so very close to the Deanskit of 1:96. if you come to Dortmund this year you will be able to see for your self.

there are very large differences between most of the Z class, the Deanskit depicts the Z narvik class, much different to the 1943A mob style.

the command position was never forward of the aft funnel, always aft of the aft funnel.

the cranes mounted just aft of the Torpedo tubes were for loading the tubes.

hope this might have answered some questions, once this person has told me the IBSN number of the books he has I'll pass them on to you.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 12 January 2009, 10:59:16 »
Thanks Colin, very impressed with the 1:100 scale workmanship - it inspires one to try harder. I suppose that is one of the good things about forums like this and visiting shows. It puts ones own efforts into perspective and motivates one to do better next time! I shall post a few photos of my Z37 progress soon.
Robin

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2009, 15:46:24 »
Kurt, you kindly posted some photos of weapons December 29th. The twin 3.7cm AA gun photo is very useful but not very clear when printed. I have now got round to inspecting the kit gun and need to scratch build.  Have you the greater definition original which you could e-mail to me? Or post again with greater number of pixels?
Regards
Robin

seaphoto

« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2009, 07:40:36 »
I found these photos of a real 3.7 cm flak:

http://www.ontheslipway.com/index.jsp?ID=9

Hope this helps

Kurt
(the other Kurt)
Warship Models Underway

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #21 on: 28 February 2009, 08:11:08 »
No problem, can you mail me your email adress?
I will mail you the original scanned files.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2009, 11:55:11 »
Hi seaphoto, thanks for the link to the photos of the German dual 3.7cm AA. What a beast! Looks like three operatives sitting at front under the barrels (that must have been horrendous in action). Looks like the centre crewman operated the manual azimuthing and the two outer crewmen the elevation and range - must have been a bit tricky.
Robin

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #23 on: 28 February 2009, 11:59:17 »
PM send with unprocessed drawings.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: 28 February 2009, 17:54:03 »
Hi Robin,
sorry its taken so long, but if you wait long enough the best Information will arrive.

here are the IBSN numbers of the Books that are being used from my friend thats building a Scratch Z6, the Books are in German, well the ones that my friend have are!!

hope there of use to you.

Harald Fock: Z-vor   Band 1 und 2   
                             ISBN  3-7822 - 0207-4 
                             ISBN  3-7822 - 0268-6    Verlag Koehler
                         ----------------------------------
Gerhard Koop/Klaus-Peter Schmolke: Die deutschen Zerstörer 1935-1945
                             ISBN 3-7637-5940-9   Bernard&Graefe Verlag
                         ----------------------------------
Wolfgang Harnack:  Zerstörer Unter deutscher Flagge 1934-1945
                             ISBN  3 7822 0698 3  Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbH Hamburg
                        -----------------------------------
Ulrich Elfrath:  Deutsche Zerstörer 1934-1945
                             ISBN 3-7909-061   PODZUN-PALAS Verlag-Friedberg/H.
Norbert Klapdor:  Der Zerstörer Friedrich Ihn (Sehr wichtiges Buch nur Bilder)
                             ISBN  3 8132 0515 7        Verlag Mittler&Sohn Hamburg
Richard Lakowski:  Reichs-und Kriegsmarine " Geheim"
                             ISBN-10: 3-87748-653-3
                             ISBN-13: 978-3-87748-653-5   Brandenburgisches Verlagshaus Siegler

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 01 March 2009, 18:36:10 »
Thanks Colin. I actualy have Gerhard Koop/Klaus-Peter Schmolke: Die deutschen Zerstörer 1935-1945  in English which has proved very useful. Probably will not purchase any more books as I don't think the others you list have been translated (and this model is making me poor enough as it is)! Nevertheless you efforts are appreciated.
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: 02 March 2009, 05:12:25 »
your welcome Robin, if you really wanted a Highlight this year, then come to the Dortmund Model Exhibition.
the man that is Building the scratch Z6 will be there, with his work, to show.
the Exhibition is on from the 22nd - 26th April.

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #27 on: 02 March 2009, 06:13:27 »
If you want some extra photo's you can ask me, then I can see if I find a photo of that.
I've got the 2 books of Z-Vor and several others sometimes with detailed pictures...

We (The complete Belgium crazy team) will also be at Dortmund with a stand. 
Last year we were there with a small diorama of the port of Brixham in WWII.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 02 March 2009, 14:07:11 »
I would really like to go to the Dortmund Show but do not think I can make it. Several of my club's members go there each year and say what a great show it is.  I am coming to the end of my Z37 so things to do list is getting smaller. The info on the dual 3.7cm AA was the last thing I needed help with. The Deans Marine quad 2cm AA Vierling kit mouldings look as though they were specifically for this kit so I will use them "from the box". One remaining decision is the colours to use. I particulaly like the light grey used by Markus van Beek on his excellent Z39 as shown in Model Boats Magazine September 2008 photos from the 2008 Intermodellbau. I would be interested in matching that grey with a Humbrol acryllic paint. The shade of paint looks very much like Humbrol 147. Difficult to tell from photos taken under iindoor lighting. Deans Marine colour suggestions are for a darker grey (Humbrol 87).
Robin