Author Topic: Looking for a container ship in 1:87 scale  (Read 8534 times)

Offline bkempins

• Warrant Officer
Looking for a container ship in 1:87 scale
« on: 09 May 2013, 00:57:23 »
I am interesting in building a container ship for a HO  scale (1:87th) model railroad display. I note that Deans offer the Anna Marie in approximately that scale, but it is not a container ship. Since I would be using already available HO containers, I assume that converting this kit to container ship would not be that hard. Or would starting with an existing container ship kit, such as Fairwind or Trein Maersk, and modifying the container holds be an easier approach to match the 1:87th scale container size.

Thanks
Bernard Kempinski

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: Looking for a container ship in 1:87 scale
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2013, 11:41:24 »
Hi   you could look at the Fairwind she is in 00 scale generally recognised as compatible with H0.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2013, 13:58:24 by radio joe »

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2013, 14:38:46 »
Hey Bernard, the Ann Marie is a general cargo vessel that can carry just about anything including containers. Should be easy to convert it over. Might have to excludes the cranes on the decks though.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2013, 09:48:48 »
Hi Bernard,   this is the blurb from Fairwind     if it's any help.

A 1/76 SCALE RAILWAY MODEL

The model is based on a glass fibre hull with plating, freeing ports, bulwarks and port detail moulded into the hull. Computer generated plastic, printed in 6 colours is used for the decks and superstructure to give quick and crisp assembly.

A full set of fittings in cast light alloy and plastic give the finishing touch to the model adding the vital clutter that is so much part of this attractive little merchant ships appeal.

To add the final finishing touch a sheet of brass etchings supplying such details as Stanchions, 2 types, ladders and stairways, intake grills and platforms to add that museum quality finish.

As in all of the Deans kits a set of running gear is included, consisting of the prop shaft, tiller and full instructions keyed to a FULL SIZE FULL COLOUR plan with embedded details pictures to assist in the construction of the model.

Painting instructions are part of the construction notes with tips for using the latest car spray ACRYLIC paint which gives a fast and hard wearing finish.

I would think that Ana Marie is the same,     regards.       Joe.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2013, 09:52:17 by radio joe »

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2013, 11:47:28 »
the Fairwind and Ana Marie do not have laser cut parts? 

they are not new kits this or last year...!! only the newer kits that have started production this or last year have laser cut parts such as the SS Truro, Yara, and E.S.F. SURVEYOR

in the descriptions of the Kits should be this sentence;
"Computer generated plastic for the main deck and superstructure is LASER CUT"

Offline bkempins

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2013, 12:58:45 »
Thanks for the replies. It wasn't clear to me the distinction between "Computer Printed" and "Laser Cut."

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2013, 17:51:52 »
Computer Printed = Printed with a Pen Plotter
Laser Cut = Cut with a Laser plotter